starting strength gym
Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: I just keep on getting angrier, boys. . . M-T's log of Intermediate Bullshit.

Thumbs down I just keep on getting angrier, boys. . . M-T's log of Intermediate Bullshit.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Epilogue to Epicfail, and back again.

Since my joining of this Website of such wonderful individuals, I have refrained from keeping a record in here for the following reasons:

1) Three injuries severe enough to knock me out for discouraging periods of time.
    2) Certain "exchanges" against my politically incorrect viewpoints, gave a semi-guarantee that I might, just might, end up, uh, railroaded out of this place.
    3) I absorb enough venom in the sub-forums, why open myself to even more here? :-D
    4) Mom says I spend too much time on-line as it is.

Back story:
    -Have been doing bodybuilding on and off since high school senior year.
    -Almost died at the end of 2010, spent 2011 just surviving day to day while being nursed back to semi-health. Lost a lot of weight in the process and wasted away physically.
    -Started looking for a mass-building program in December 2011, to help me return to the weights that I actually have a love/hate relationship with.
    -Discovered the idea of Powerlifting vs what I had always done (BB), and became fascinated at the concept.
    -First came across Stronglifts, but opted out of that, as I was reading in forums that a lot of his members were complaining about corruption with regards to the forums and changing rules (being locked out) and other BS. Came across the Starting Strength Website, and Rip seemed like a no-nonsense, in-your-face dude, but with a thorough knowledge that I admired, and a wise-ass wit to go along with it. So. . .

Started the Novice Program in January 2012.

Starting Bodyweight: 162 lbs.

Last successful weight completion of the lifts (End of 2012)
    Squat: 365+2MP/side (367.6) @ 5x3
    Deadlift: 375x5 (No chalk affected grip too much-- could not progress.)
    Bench Press: 230+2 MP/side (232.6) @ 5x3
    Press: 150 + 1MP/side (151.3) @ 5x3
    Chinups: BW reps which averaged around 8-7, 6-5, 5-4 each time (Scale going up every week)
    PowerClean: I had stumbled across a page that had 4 different 3-day programs. One was Starting Strength; one of them was the "Westside" method, I believe; and I can't remember the other two. Anyways, the one I was doing roughly followed the SS Advanced-novice template as most here know it (E.g.eadlifts only on Monday), but there were no PCs or PSs in this routine.

Progress reached an epic-fail of all the lifts in the span of about 3 weeks (although Deadlifts were not progressing due to lack of chalk)

Notes: Squats hit the safeties at 295 lbs, and did so again at the same weight after resetting the first time. Second reset (End of May, 2012), I dropped the squat weight to 280 lbs for 5x3, then did 285 for 5x3 the next workout, and after that started Micro-Plating the bar with 2" Industrial washers that weigh about .67 lbs each (roughly 1/4 of a 2.5 lbs Olympic plate) May 2012: Bodyweight was 188 lbs.

Due to what I was coming back from, I took it slow and only increased 2.5 lbs/side from the start, even on squats. (Worksets were 5x3 at 45, 50 next workout, 55 next workout, 60 next, you get the idea.)

Progress reached an epic-fail of all the lifts in the span of about 3 weeks (although Deadlifts were not progressing due to lack of chalk)

Switched to Texas Method at this point.

--------

May 2013: Was doing Tricep Extensions at 112.5 lbs (EZ-curl bar + 45 & 2 MPs/side), and during set #3, on rep 7 (8?), I went down for that rep, and just as the bar cleared my forehead, I heard a series of machine-gun-rapid sounds from where my tricep joins the back of my shoulder, and felt every single one of them. Dropped the weight out of my hands, and sat up holding my left arm. Was out for 6 weeks -- lost 20 lbs in that time. Acute injury, but I was fortunate I wasn't out for 6 months with a muscle tear. Rehab -- started from the bar on everything.

Before this incident^^, my Benchpress had made it to 285 1RM; Press of 185 1RM; Squat: 400 1RM; Deadlift: 410x5 (Chalk - Woohoo!), and my Bodyweight was 238 lbs.
    ---
    Post Tricep injury.
    Upper body made progress slower this time.
    As of Friday February 28, 2014, my numbers were
    1) Deadlift: 430x5
    2) Bench Press: 260 x2 RM PR
    3) Press: 165 x3 RM PR
    4) PowerSnatch: 75 @ 2x6 (Stopped being an asshole, and started doing these)
    5) Squat 410 x2 RM PR

When coming up from the second rep of squats that night, the rep was fine and not too hard. When I went to re-rack the weight, I stood up a little too vertical and twisted just slightly to my left -- felt a little pull about 2" to the left of my spine in my lower back. Finished that whole workout and felt great, then pissed the weekend away. Come Monday, the squats became almost unbearable from the pain. Worked through the week. Tried that Friday's PR, made it, and decided "You better stop, NOW". Back pain kept getting worse while going home. By the time a made it to my bed, I couldn't even make it down to the mattress, I was in spasms so bad. It took about 2 minutes to be able to get on the damn bed, and three times as long to get out of it. Out for 4 1/2 weeks.
    ---
    Commenced rehab #2 on Monday April 7th, *this time with a squat belt as part of my routine* (Yeah, I know). Went down to Novice program again (bar for everything to start), made much larger/faster jumps this time, and made it to
    Bench Press: 205 lbs @ 5x3
    Press:135 lbs @ 5x3
    Deathlift: 365 lbs x5
    Squats 355@ 5x3

On Monday May 26, the squat belt rode up my right side while in the hole, and slashed my skin on the bottom of the belt, and the metal buckle crushed my lower rib on the upper part. The result was the same spasm as with the back injury, only now in the front. Out AGAIN until July 7, 2014.

Back to back injuries, as they say. . . or in my case, back to front. X-}

Notes:
    I now always do one air-squat with the belt on, right before starting a set, to make sure it is going to sit properly and not dislodge. -- I've saved myself a few times already doing this.

---

And so it is.

Anyways, after subjecting any reader to the above rich tapestry of progress vs progr-ass. . .
    Here I am, Wednesday October 15, 2014, finally wasting valuable computer space on Aasgaard's Servers by making a record that no one besides me probably cares about.

My current log book goes as far back as Friday December 13, 2013. I have debated with myself about whether to back-track that far and enter those old entries. I have decided that I will, all numbers, all personal notes, and all "gym dumb-ass" observations that I saw while resting/leaning on various wastes of metal between barbell sets. You will likely enjoy these as well, and as you're leaning on your keyboard with a fine beer in hand, you'll no doubt observe my personal gym dumb-ass stupidity in my P-notes.

Don't be shy to drop in and leave SS-style hate mail on my log.
    I'm not that much of a prick, I only play one on-line.

-Jeremy.

Friday December 13, 2013.

Squat PR: 390+ MP/side (392.6) @5 RM || Warmups: Bar@5x2; 130x5; 215x2; 300x2
    Bench Press: 255 @ 1RM || Warmups: Bar@5x2; 95x5; 145x2; 200x1
    Power Snatch: 90 @ 2x6 || Warmups Bar@5x2; 55x5; 65x3; 75x2

Exercise (X) Notes:
    Squat PR success; move up to 395 next week.
    B Press success; move RM to 2 reps in two weeks.
    P Snatch: Only 5 sets accomplished, and rep #2 of set 5 was sloppy. Rushed as gym was closing in 5 minutes.

Personal notes:
    Felt wasted today. No energy or confidence working up to squat PR weight. After rep 3, knew it was going to happen.
    B Press seemed heavy, since left tricep is acting up again.
    Arrive earlier, you dumb-ass.

Other Shit:
    -Four Bros doing their pathetic machine preacher curls decided to help themselves to my 10 lb plate that I had on the floor, with all the others for my Bench press. My good mood from the squat accomplishment is the only thing that kept my tongue in check.
    -Manorexic pansyboy was acting all hard in 1) showing the girl who was with him how to do "squats" in the cage, and 2) Expressing his masculine dominance with some beautiful fake R.O.M. leg presses.
    -Had a long talk with youngster ------ about short term bragging rights, vs long-term accomplishments, trying to convince him of the wisdom of pursuing the latter.
    -Haven't been able to insult that punk ------ for a while, don't know where he is; the gym just isn't the same.

Monday December 16, 2013

Squats: 370+2MP/side @ 5x5
    Press: 145+ 1MP/side @5x5
    Death Lift: 390x5 RM
    L.T.E.: 90 @ 10 x3 ||Warmups: 45 @ 10x3

X Notes:
    Increase Squats to 375, even.
    Increase Press to 145+2Mp/side
    Increase Deathlift to 395

Personal Notes:
    - ------'s previous absence, due to his sickness, has led you to the uncomfortable reality that mixed grip will not save your Deathlift, if your partner has the chalk at his house, which is not the gym, which is where *you* are.
    -Left tricep really acting up again. Couldn't even do 10 lbs/side on the EZ curl bar; strength is there, but pain in is too much. Had to settle for 3 sets of 20 (EZ-curl bar by itself) at 20 reps a set. . . &el#$ !!!

Other Shit:
    Some dumb-ass teen on the leg extension machine, along with the titless girl he was with, seemed to be preoccupied with looking at us and laughing as ------ and I were setting up the weights for squats beside the rack. Considering the leg-Xtension weight, and epic-fail R.O.M. of fat-boy's bitch-machine "squats" at 70 lbs, I'm not sure if I'm just a funny looking idiot, or they're the typical brain-dead stock of the millenial generation. Actually, I'll say it's both.

Wednesday December 18, 2013
    Squats: 295 @5x2 ||Warmup: Bar @ 5x2; 110x5; 170x3; 230x2
    Bench Press: 205 (T.U.T) @5x3 ||Warmup: Bar @5x2; 85x5; 125x3; 165x2
    Chin Ups: Bodyweight x3 sets. Set 1: 5 good, 1 assist; Set 2: 2 good, 1 fake, 1 assist; Set 3: 3 good, 1 fake (by 1/2 inch), 1 assist.
    Brocep curls: 95 lbs and 10x3

X Notes.
    295 was a little too much, drop 10 lbs/side.

Personal Notes:
    Only 3 hours sleep last night, and back and legs still very sore. Legs had strength for sets, but were "hurtin".
    --Slow down and print more clearly in the notebook--

Other Shit:
    -Dumb-ass with 6 plates/side (oops, just added a 7th!) on the leg press, insisted on slamming the stack on the starting rack, and then looking around -- You can't make this shit up!
    -Fool with 4 plates/side had the following qualifications for his "squat": 1) Fake bar (35 lbs); 2) Belt; 3) knee wraps; 4) 1/2 R.O.M.; 5) Bath towel between neck and bar.
    -Loser on bitch machine (during my Brocep curls) "benching" with 2 plates/side (so total 190 lbs, if that, this machines bar weighs next to nothing), with an R.O.M. of about 1 full foot stop above his chest for the descent. (Not sure who he was trying to impress, nothing but guys in here now.)

Friday December 20, 2013
    Squats: 395 lbs @ 5 RM PR ||Warmups: Bar@5x2; 130x5; 220x2; 305x1
    Press: 160 @ 2 RM PR ||Warmups: Bar@5x2; 70x5; 100x2; 130x1
    Power Snatch: 95 @ 2x6 ||Warmups: Bar@5x2; 55x5;65x3;80x2

X Notes:
    Squats: Accomplished with difficulty, increase by only 2 MP/side next time.
    Press: Accomplished, increase reps to 3 next time.
    Power Snatch: Form seems to be getting worse, time to reset and clean (snatch?) up your act.

Personal Notes:
    None recorded.

Other Shit:
    None recorded.

[One more back-log catch-up for today, it's late, alarm comes early.]

Monday December 23, 2013
    Squats: 370+3 MP/side @5x5 ||Warmups: Bar@5x2; 125x5; 205x3; 285x2
    Bench Press: 225+3 MP/side @5x5 ||Warmups: Bar@5x2; 90x5; 135x3; 180x2
    Death Lift: 395 x5 RM
    L.T.E. : skipped these today (left arm)

X Notes:
    Squats: Accomplished. Increase to 375 even next Monday.
    B Press: Accomplished. Increase to 230 even next Monday.
    Deathlift: I'm not dead, no? I accomplished the task. . . yes.

Personal Notes:
    None Recorded.

Other Shit:
    None recorded.

Fuck Jezza, are you seriously going to add all your training records from the 24th of December 2013 onwards. Awesome I'll read them all I promise.

If your log is as entertaining as your posts in E&P, I'm in to read every one.

My first guest, the first comment, the first word.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    Fuck
    SS-Style hate mail. . . -sniff- I can't help but be touched, I love you guys! :,-)
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    If your log is as entertaining as your posts in E&P, I'm in to read every one.
    I take it that this means you'll be back, just not around here?!?

Chebass88, it was nice knowing you.
    Goodbye, old friend. X,-|

M-i need a Tissue
    Last edited by Músculo-Tonto; 10-16-2014 at 08:12 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday December 23, 2013

Gym was closed for the birth of the Roman Sun God.
    These ancient mythical Deities causing a semi-mythical man like myself to miss workouts is really pissing me off.
    (Oh well. I guess gathering around the table and fireplace with family you have to pretend to like -- while spending yourself into 1000s of dollars of debt buying gifts out of obligation (instead of actual love) -- means something to some people.

"Aunt Bethany, does your cat by any chance like jello?"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spmqbs8YCW8

M-T

Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast