Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Monday 27 March 2017

Keepin' on

Bench 215 x 5
    200 x 5 x 2
    185 x 8 x 2 - just wanted to do something more. Might've been better served by doing an accessory like chins or something. I'm still feeling out where to fit the extra junk in.

Just amazing what the difference is between benching alone vs benching with a spotter. Especially a handsy spotter (no matter what you tell them). I get the set done in literally half the time.

RDL 285 x 8 x 3 oof. Chest up. Big breaths.

I'm over in the Waywt thread initiating my LP in Starting Male Fashion. I think if you're not wearing blazers within four months YNDTFP.

Will definitely be following this log with greater interest now that I know the high stakes, namely that you're constantly besieged by e-bro-husbands. Blazers are the modern suit of armor in your endless war against the barbarian horde, yo.

Tuesday 28 March

Squat 315 x 5, 300 x 5 x 2.

I think I'll march up from here keeping to a more or less strict 95% backoff for two sets of five. Was kinda getting lazy in general - variable rest times, standing there with the bar on my back between reps dreading the next one, and sticking with 300-305 even though the top sets were getting heavier. I'm afraid I seem to respond better to volume. I really don't like that idea at all.

Press AMRAP 10 min with the xmas tree (130 lbs): 37 reps.

Rows 215 x 8 x 2, 195 x 8

Pullups 2's and a couple 3's.

Wed: nothing. I was at work till 6:30pm, came home, dinner, homework, etc, forgot all about the treadmill until midnight.

Thursday 30 March 2017

Deadlift:

320 x 5 overhand, last rep alternate grip

Sooooo I've been thinking my womanly grip is half the problem with my deadlift. I mean anything over 300 has my hands opening up (especially the left) to where the bar is monkey-gripped in my fingers. So I thought I'd try something:

365 x 1 with straps - no problem.

300 x 5 overhand, 300 x 5 alternate grip

Well, crap. Stupid hands. Halp what do. I know, the solution is probably to keep deadlifting.

The other half of the problem with my deadlift is endurance. By the fourth or fifth rep I want to die no matter what the weight is. Need moar discipline.

Moving on:

Bench 220 x 5

Aaaand I ran out of time, we'll make up the backoff sets later.

Friday 21 March 2017

Only 5 1/2 hours sleep sure increases the Earth's gravity.

Bench continued (yeah yeah I know this isn't ideal): 205 x 5 x 2

Squat 320 x 5
    305 x 5 x 2

Press 10 min AMRAP: 32 reps. Oh well.

So on the left side of my back (it's always the left) it's either one of my lats or my serratus that's hurting. Not bad. Well, I mean, sharp stabbing terrible bad when I move the wrong way, but if I keep my spine in good alignment I don't feel it at all. I'm blaming the rows. It was a good motivator to keep my back locked tight during squats, though, because it was the difference between no pain or bad bad pain, lol.

Oh, and we just watched a Sherlock episode where

(spoiler alert)

somebody is stabbing British soldiers with a thin long needle but they wear their belts so tight they 1. didn't really feel it (not sure I believed that) and 2. the belt held the hole together so they didn't bleed out and die until they disrobed. Then they'd be found stabbed in a room locked from the inside with no weapon around.

You could probably do that to me in my lifting belt, just FYI any would-be ithryn murderers.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Wed: nothing. I was at work till 6:30pm, came home, dinner, homework, etc, forgot all about the treadmill until midnight.

Thursday 30 March 2017

Deadlift:

320 x 5 overhand, last rep alternate grip

Sooooo I've been thinking my womanly grip is half the problem with my deadlift. I mean anything over 300 has my hands opening up (especially the left) to where the bar is monkey-gripped in my fingers. So I thought I'd try something:

365 x 1 with straps - no problem.

300 x 5 overhand, 300 x 5 alternate grip

Well, crap. Stupid hands. Halp what do. I know, the solution is probably to keep deadlifting.

The other half of the problem with my deadlift is endurance. By the fourth or fifth rep I want to die no matter what the weight is. Need moar discipline ...
    I was thinking about this problem while I was deadlifting today. I think I have a couple pieces of advice that might help.

First off - pick one grip and stick with it. Double overhand / hook / mixed grips - only use one. SS lore tells us to use one grip until the work sets - forget that. Pick one grip and use it exclusively. For me, that means mixed grip with left hand supinated. Get good at one grip instead of trying to use all the grips.

Second, a good mental image for me was a set of vise grip pliers. Set it, tighten down, and there should be NOTHING that can tear the bar out of your hands. If you are stuck using a globe gym bar with worn off knurling, sorry - use straps. Your back might snap in two, your arms might pop out, but the bar doesn't go anywhere. This is mostly a mental cue, but it helped me significantly.

Regarding endurance - if you are pooping out by the 4th rep, instead of doing a set of 5, do a triple and a double. I think it is better to do five perfect reps than three decent ones and two mediocre reps, just because five is a magic number for powerlifting.

One thing you can do to build endurance is to train high rep sets for a while. You'll learn how to struggle hard on rep 9 of a 12 rep set. Touch & go, deadstop - whatever you want to do. Maybe try 250lbs to start. Use your chosen grip, and once set - don't loosen it for all 12 reps. You will likely not have endurance issues with sets of 5 after this.

One other thing (sorry so long!): Ed Coan had a grip exercise to help with the deadlift. He demonstrated it in a session with Mark Bell. It is effectively a one arm weighted hold in the center of a barbell. I think he recommended something like 30 seconds per hand (I used a metronome to help me count to 30). It is brutal, and trains the grip nicely. They are boring AF, so I don't do them often.
    Last edited by Chebass88; 04-01-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Monday 3 April 2017

Bench 225 x 5, 210 x 5 x 2

That might be a 5 rep PR. I know I've done 225 before, not sure if for five.

RDLs 290 x8, x8, x6 oof

Good times being torn between taking up my whole morning with the gym and being late to work or going in the afternoon and completely disrupting family life / dinner time / etc - in addition to my schoolwork.

I need this.

Default Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

How will you develop bench AIDS from arching with that kind of desk? You won't, because you can't arch with that set up.

Bench AIDS, that's what girls get in their spine because they can arch more than boys right? And it's only diagnosable via Instagram comments, I think.

18 Feb: 219.x lbs
    04 Mar: 215.5 lbs 42" waist
    11 Mar: 210.2 lbs 41" waist
    18 Mar: 208.4 lbs 40" waist
    25 Mar: 208.0 lbs 39.75" waist
    02 Apr: 207.2 lbs 39.5"

Tuesday: nothing
    Wednesday: nothing

Skipped the workout (and the creatine, because science). I recently signed onto a 30 year life insurance policy and it required a blood and urine draw Wednesday. The agent said "Don't work out, don't eat a big fatty steak, don't take any damn supplements, get some sleep, don't do anything to make your lab results iffy" so I figured it's a thirty year policy, I can skip a workout and creatine for one day. The official life insurance scale said I was 207 lbs. She measured my waist at 37" and my hip measurement as 44".

Thursday 6 April 2016

Bench 230 x 4 PR!, 210x5, 210x4. I'm pretty sure I could feel the muscle fibers tearing. I only got 4/5 reps but I'm 99.9% sure I've never benched that weight before at all. It is legitimately scary putting on two plates, let alone two plates and then a little bit more weight. Regarding last session, I googled my own log and saw that I had benched 225x2 once before. So Monday's 225x5 was a 5 rep PR. I probably should've microplated today but, ya know, I had to try. Maybe I'll just do 227.5 next time.

Deadlift 325 x 5, 250 x 12. Taking chebass's advice I just alternate gripped everything. I love hookgrip but I have to think about it. And I have to think about getting squoze, and sitting back on my heels so I don't let the bar swing forward of my legs, and leg pressing the ground away so my knees straighten before my hips (they much prefer the opposite)...I can't even concentrate on that many things at once when I'm not under duress.

That set of twelve though. Wow. Easy at first, then the last four reps I had to pause just so I wouldn't puke. Cardio bro. Good times!
    Last edited by ithryn; 04-06-2017 at 10:12 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Solid work! You'll eventually get into a rhythm and won't have to worry about all the steps individually - just like backing your car out of your driveway in the morning. When you were learning to drive, there was an entire checklist that had to be followed. Now it is (hopefully) natural.