starting strength gym
Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think I will buy Barilla exclusively from now on. I hate entrapment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    I've tried other srirachas, but there is only one true Sriracha, from the Huy Fong Food Company. Works on just about everything.
    Best of luck on the program!
    Thanks! And you're right. Even our local grocery chain has a sriracha knock-off now. Not the same. Have you tried their chili garlic sauce? The stuff in the jar? Seriously possibly the best thing I've ever tasted. Though - I have seen sriracha recipes. It's fermented, and I have successfully fermented things. Haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Can you speak to my wife? Haha
    Yeah, I know better than to engage on the wrong side of any woman, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I think I will buy Barilla exclusively from now on. I hate entrapment.
    Barilla is good! It's not just that it was silly entrapment vs. them actually funding things people hate, but...when you're tweeting #boicottabarilla on your sweatshop iPhone while sipping worker-exploitative deforested coffee served by a minority minimum wage barista who takes public transportation to get to your gentrified yuppie single-ethnicity neighborhood...

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post

Barilla is good! It's not just that it was silly entrapment vs. them actually funding things people hate, but...when you're tweeting #boicottabarilla on your sweatshop iPhone while sipping worker-exploitative deforested coffee served by a minority minimum wage barista who takes public transportation to get to your gentrified yuppie single-ethnicity neighborhood...
    Hey, I didn't know you knew her! Small world

Thanks for flashing me back to when my colleagues chewed me out for not knowing who that Kony fella was. I later had to tell these same passionate activists what ALS was.....AFTER they had already proudly dumped water on their bikini bods for Facebook/YouTube likes (and then didn't actually donate to any ALS research funds, which they didn't know existed).

God I hate humans.

Monday 3 November 2014 5:45-6:20am

Volume Day (Vol. 1)

Squat 45x5x2, 95x8 (because cold and stiff), 135x5, 225x3,
    275x5 - then realized it was already 6:08 and there's no way I can fit four more sets in before work, so we'll count this as a warmup for:

Deadlift 135x5, 205x3,
    275x5

Which I realize now shoulda been 280. It's all reset weight anyway, so I'm not crying.

Plan: squat and overhead press tomorrow.

Thanks! And you're right. Even our local grocery chain has a sriracha knock-off now. Not the same. Have you tried their chili garlic sauce? The stuff in the jar? Seriously possibly the best thing I've ever tasted. Though - I have seen sriracha recipes. It's fermented, and I have successfully fermented things. Haven't tried it yet....
    Most definitely. The chili garlic sauce is delicious. I also made my own from hot peppers I grew in my garden. I received a Sriracha cookbook for Christmas one year, which included a recipe for making it at home. I stopped after the first part, i.e., did not let it sit around & then blend / strain it. It came out very similar to the chili garlic sauce. Definitely an eye-opener when you accidentally spoon too much onto your food.

The problem with most hot sauces is the tiny bottles they come in. Building up the slightest tolerance means that they rarely last even a week.

Forgot to mention I ordered two scoops of scrambled eggs in the hospital cafeteria this AM; the old lady in line next to me looks at me askance like "you obviously don't care about your health." She then orders several processed breakfasty greasemeats and a buttery white flour croissant. Oh, society.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Thanks for flashing me back to when my colleagues chewed me out for not knowing who that Kony fella was.
    I think Kony 2012 was a CIA experiment on intelligence or memetic propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    I stopped after the first part, i.e., did not let it sit around & then blend / strain it. It came out very similar to the chili garlic sauce. Definitely an eye-opener when you accidentally spoon too much onto your food.
    Raw garlic and chili on, say, eggs, sounds fantastic.

Tuesday 4 November 2014 5:30-6:10 am

Volume Day (vol. 2)

Squat 275 x 5 x 4
    Did yesterday's set count? Since I wasn't sure, and also I was dying, I compromised with a triple:
    275 x 3

Overhead press 120 x 5 x 5

Interspersed sets: squat, ohp, squat, etc.

Music: The National. Sometimes mellow works.

Seriously debated the merits of recovery day vs sleeping in. But my adductors are sore and need some bloodflow.

Also, TMI ladies, but why do my bowels have to completely empty themselves out in the morning? I get all dressed and ready to go and then that happens. If you were filming an exciting montage of my workout you'd be mostly focusing the camera on a closed bathroom stall.

Thu 6 Nov 2014 6:30-7:50! because talking

Recovery Day

There's a fairly strong 5/3/1er at my gym. I walk in after he racks his squats and say hello. He's sweaty, pale, eyes sunken in, looks nauseous. F yeah squats!

Bench 155x5x3

Then he asked me to spot his heavy squat attempts. Yeah, that was kinda scary.

Chin ups x5, x4, x3, x3, x2.75, x2, x2.75, x2

Failures I get up to my nose and stall. Why?

Squat 215x5 - last rep I tipped forward, hit the safeties, swore, squatted it up. Confession: too lazy to change out of my gym shoes to lifting shoes. Smart, eh?

215x5x2 - Halfway through last set I remembered it's two sets, not three. whoops.

These lighter weights I try to move as fast as possible
    Last edited by ithryn; 11-06-2014 at 08:12 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday 7 November 2014 8:05-8:45pm

Intensity Day

Squat 45x5x2, 135x5, 185x3, 225x2, 275x1,
    305x5 brutal. lightheaded during and after, but maybe that's from having a belly full of fish

Overhead press 45x10, 85x5, 105x3, 125x1,
    135x5 ....got cocky:
    135x3, failed fourth rep

Power cleans 45, 65, 95,
    100 x 3 x 5

Try not to rush the setup, get set, and focus on snapping my body open like a trap. Or I guess the opposite. Whatevs.

Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast