starting strength gym
Page 43 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Last edited by ithryn; 07-05-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Curls in the squat rack 80 lbs x 5 x 3. Curl PR! Guys? Guys that was a curl pr....Guys where ya going.....
    Congrats on the curl PR!

Monday 6 July 2015 6:35-7:20am

Volume day: you may walk in with a thigh gap, but you sure as heck aren't leaving with one

Squat 305 x 5 x 5

Came in still sore from Friday. Wanted to do an AMRAP on the last set there. And that's exactly what it was.

Chins during rests: 3, 2, 3, 3

Good weekend, swimming, fireworks, food. Yesterday was glorious, the toddler was sick so I stayed home from a party and we napped gratuitously and ate as many popsicles as we wanted. As Petrizzo says, hope everybody had a good weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Congrats on the curl PR!
    Thanks lol, it was actually really hard!

Me: Just toss your bike over the fence into the backyard if you're done riding it
    Son: .... Dad, I'm having trouble.
    Me: Huh - when're you gonna start weightlifting so you can do this?
    Son, irritated: When I'm TWELVE, when they let me. If they let me join now I would.

Tuesday 7 July 2015 7:30-8:25am

Power cleans
    135 x 3 x 4, then x2 and the last rep just wouldn't rack, because white man can't rack.

Press
    ...the slightest deviation from a vertical bar path as close to the shoulders as possible will cost you the rep. You absolutely must think about keeping it close every time you press. A beard is handy for this – touch your beard every rep and you will have controlled the bar path. The hairless and female are at a disadvantage here.

-Mark Rippetoe, in The Book
    130 x 5 x 5, then a bonus round where I got x4.875555555...and started capsizing to starboard almost at lockout, which seems a very high place to not be in control of the bar.

Rows 155 x 8 x 3

The 'fitness TV' (which cycles between fitness advice, commercials, and music videos from awful bands they got paid to promote) was telling me that the antioxidants in blueberries will protect me from brain inflammation. Well, I've seen brain inflammation, and I sure don't want that. Should've been giving blueberries to my patients through their g-tubes all this time.

A real life friend (yes I have those...no I don't. but I do know some real people in real life) linked me to the infamous, glorious, beautiful, profound symposia on bodybuilding.com where some poor sap asks if it's safe to do a full body workout every other day, and the bros spend page after page arguing to the death over how you can use a phrase like 'every other day' in the context of an odd number like seven days, and how many days are really in a week, and one of the philosophers keeps writing 'fucck'. Truly one of the immortal threads on any site anywhere, and it's nice to see it's come back around to me through real life.

Thurs 9 July 2015 7:20-8:20am

HIIT: Place bar on ground, load 330 lbs, perform deadlift setup and isometrically pull on unmoving bar for 20 sec until tachycardic, rest for 1:40, x 8 rounds. -- I thought I'd try deadlifting in the morning again. I got the braniac idea that if I deadlift every five or six days, my dl will eventually exceed my squat, and I'll finally be a real man. Well, the spirit is willing but the CNS is weak, at least when breakfast was just an apple and I only got six hours' sleep. That doesn't bother me -- well, I was heaping curses upon myself in my head at the time, but I'll get it this weekend. What bothers me is I can't double overhand 315 all the way to lockout because my perpetually weak grip fails, especially on the left.

Lightweight, soreness-relieving squats, that are like a leg massage, but manly: 245 x 5 x 2

Bench 185 x 5 x 3

Fatty bar pullups, singles x 10, then a lot of dead hangs, which purportedly work my grip but probably just made me look silly

Chinups doubles and triples up to 10 or 12, lost count.

Bodyweight: 203 lbs

New lifting music (to me): youtu.be/lzRGcNPqTeg

I've been sore everywhere for a couple weeks, particularly my quads and adductors of course. All the weights feel heavy and I kinda hate lifting. So the cure, obviously, is to eat like an asshole for a few days. Let's say five? I formally initiated it at yesterday's dinner in the Portillo's drive thru with a double cheeseburger and chocolate cake shake, easily more than 2000 calories, by my calculations 90 g protein, 225 g carbs, 110 g fat. Although even before that Myfitnesspal was thinking the same thing I was:

...and this morning I'm rolling right along with biscuits and gravy and eggs and a banana.

Well okay, henceforth I'll use more oats, peanut butter and whey because I'll run out of money or have a cardiac event.

Then I'll bring my caloric goal back up to 3,200 cal/day. I had wanted to lose dat waistline, but I think decreasing calories while I'm doing the Texas Method and failing to ever do HIIT ever is not the ideal way to produce either fat loss or muscle gainzZz. And I'll try sleep more: we finally finished the last episode of X-Files, so that's out of the way. I'm all caught up and current with American culture to...2002 now.
    Last edited by ithryn; 07-09-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Re can't double overhand 315. Why not just mix grip?

Re Portillo's. I was in Chicago for 3 days (2 nights) last month and ate there twice. Combo with hots and sweets both times. Chocolate cake shake once and a Sam Adams the other. Damn it, that place is goooooood.

Re American culture to 2002. You're good. Stop there.

Don't know how your wife would feel about your 'simple man' likes...

I was all proud when I could DOH 315, so not doing it is depressing!

Lol, my wife does have dark hair? My whole life I've been attracted to blue eyed dark curly haired women and then I found one and married her. Like Ron, it probably indicates something about my upbringing...

Or are you talking about the unhealthy breakfast food....

starting strength coach development program
    Ha nah I think we should have an existential conversation on if a red head is a dark haired woman in E&P

Page 43 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast