starting strength gym
Page 48 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Saturday 29 August 2015
    - not sure what time, 9-11am maybe, felt like a million years

Squat 300 x 5 x 3 - my adductors and quads have never hurt this bad between sets. My legs were shakin'. My usual brisk march up to the bar was reduced to a hobble by the third set. Somebody call the waahmbulance. Oh well, did skwats.

Bench - okay this is weird, but whatever - 175 felt like it was going to totally fail, so I made an under the bar decision to do a set of 5, then I shamed myself into getting a spot and doing 185 for an easy set of 5, then another disgustingly easy set of 5, so I ended with 195 x 5.

Someday when Starting Strength becomes actually popular, they'll pass a law that you can't drive after destroying your CNS like this. Too shaky, can't pay attention to anything, and reaction time down? It's driving under the influence of squats.

Tuesday 1 September 2015 7:10-8:20am

Lite squats 245 x 5 x 2

Press feels weak, so we'll LP for a few days: 140 x 5 x 3

Deadlift 335 x 3 hooked, then 315 x 3 - I thought I'd see if I could pick up where I left off from before the camping trip. I get a few beautiful reps up, and then lose all conscious control of my back, making the bar roll all over the place. Re-attempt this weight next week.

I used smelling salts for that workset. It definitely wakes you up (I was yawning and hungry by that time in the workout) but I forgot how much of a punch in the sinuses it is. Like physically painful. Almost too much of a distraction, what with the eye watering and nose running. But maybe next time I won't shove it right under my nose.

Camping protein tips:

Horizon organic milk 6-packs. No refrigeration required. Drink two when you get up and two with lunch, that's 32g. You don't drink them w/ dinner because you drink beer at night when you're camping. Lots of it.

Canned tuna. Again, no refrigeration required. 1 can per day equals 26g.

Also, take whey. Mix it in water. Or milk. Or beer. Whatevs.

You touched on these last two, but I will confirm that they are probably the best way to get it done. Speaking from experience.

I'm trying to figure out what novel this log reminds me of.

Oh yes.

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what novel this log reminds me of.

Oh yes.

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.
    That's pretty good.

And that's about all there is to say to a guy who benches more than you squat.

So ithryn, you're telling me all I have to do to cure my chronic sinus infections is to just huff some nose tork? Seems legit!

Is that the book about...an overweight, friendless guy, takes everything too seriously, eats too many hot dogs, and complains to random strangers that all his problems are caused by his intestinal sphincters acting up? I read that book when my brain was young and mushy, I wasn't that into it, but it never occurred to me how much I can relate to that guy

Interesting (googling), it's currently on Broadway and Nick Offerman of all people is playing the guy.

ud20 those Canadians made protein beer, that would be more efficient.

Sarah Beth, this would definitely dilate your nostrils and scorch any living thing in there. My sinuses are always closed and it was kind of great.

Thurs 3 Sept 2014 7:15-8:30am

Squat 305 x 5 x 3 - so depressing. Just a short while ago I thought I was on the express train to 405, now I'm dying just trying to get back to a three course meal. The only 'good' thing is if I can get out of the hole I'm good for the rest of the way up, due to all my erroneous half-squat training at weights up to like 350+.

Bench 200 x 5 x 3

Somehow this took a geologic epoch and I had to run to work. Someday power cleans and ancillary exercises will be done.

Bodyweight's hovering ~203, haven't been tracking lately. I need some diet and sleep rehab.

Incidentally, I got some full-on angry glares from this one dude. Did I ever tell you guys the back story on this? He was wiggling his huge SUV into a spot and because I'm highly caffeinated yet barely awake and also probably a terrible driver in general and also consistently make poor choices in life, I zoom around behind him. He gets to the door slightly before I do but I'm not thinking about any recent events, or anything at all really, but he turns around and proceeds to holler in my general direction that I'm a dumb fornicator (which I'm not, I'm married) and I'm lucky he didn't crash into me and etc etc. Except at first I'm not even listening and assume he's yelling at someone behind me, or just a crazy guy yelling at the parking lot, it's not like that never happens in Chicago. It's only as he's wrapping up his harangue and stomps in the gym that I realize he's yelling at me.

Of course, he would be a guy who's bigger than me and looks like he lifts despite only doing hours of dumbbell curls and occasionally Smith machine presses. Side note, this is how I've dealt with angry males pretty much my entire life. Bully in school starts yelling? Maybe after he walks away, or pushes me off a chair, I'll realize he's even acknowledging I exist. Staring blankly at them while I slowly process things doesn't seem to ever help their mood, either.

I'm SO ALPHA

Totally unrelated note, I've seen some excellent memes lately:

Wait wait....this one's totally inappropriate...well this log just became PG13

Last edited by ithryn; 09-03-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Heyyyyy who wanna watch me grunt n' squat?

You can find this video at vimeo.com/138217439 since it's not gonna load in all browsers but if I hyperlink that link for ya it'll load the video twice for the people who can see it. I guess I'm favoring desktop users here.

Pretty sure I'm caving my knees. My ankle could tell me that much tho.

starting strength coach development program
    Caturday 5 September 2015 11:15am-12:35pm

5 min cycle warmup

Power cleans 140 x 3 x 5 - hey cool, haven't cleaned anything (probably literally, not just in the gym) in ages.

Press 145 x 5 x 3

Squat 310 x 5 x 3 - was theoretically supposed to be a light squat day but I was on a roll.

Bench extra credit, no rest, 185 x5, x5, x3

Chins to 20

Dips wow so stiff, to 12

Page 48 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast