starting strength gym
Page 58 of 132 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Great meeting you Saturday. 405 PR Squat is awesome work, especially at a first meet. Obviously meets are a very different environment than our own gyms.
    I was right after your third attempt DL and I dont know if I said it but I was thinking, wow he hooked grip that!

Good write-up too.

Great meeting you Chris! You had a great meet. (I'm scary?!)

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    She said she was going to run around the block but I'd think you could just, ya know, hit the bathroom...or maybe she didn't want to say that.
    Probably already did, since she most likely knew she was close.

I think I prefer that to what I imagine a regular powerlifting meet is like, where I figure everyone'll be hy00ger than me.
    Depends on the meet. At smaller local meets you'll have plenty of people who just want to go out and compete.

Quote Originally Posted by David Abdemoulaie View Post
    (I'm scary?!)
    Big scary teddybull.

Tues 27 Oct 2015

Things I'm not feelin' today:
    1. It.

Bike warmup / wakeup 10 min

Power cleans 135 x 3 x 5

Chinups...yeah, these were causing a lot of weird neck pressure and dizziness. Pretty sure it was my vertebral basilar arteries rupturing, and that's never cool, so I called it.

Rows 175 x 8 x 3

Fired up the ol' Myfitnesspal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    That is a great meet write-up. Your deadlifts looked very smooth. Solid work.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fino View Post
    Great meeting you Saturday. 405 PR Squat is awesome work, especially at a first meet...I was right after your third attempt DL and I dont know if I said it but I was thinking, wow he hooked grip that!
    Thanks man. I was impressed by your focus before the lifts, there were a couple times I almost started chitchatting with you and then realized you were waiting in line and looked like you were ready to kill something.

Quote Originally Posted by David Abdemoulaie View Post
    Great meeting you Chris! You had a great meet. (I'm scary?!)
    Haha, I meant Fino/David above.

I mean you are too, you're a super approachable great guy but my primate hindbrain is just a little ready to run if you get angry. And thanks for such a fun, rapid-fire meet, I can't imagine how much work and headache went into it.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Saw that, was impressed. Even took a picture! ...IMO you have a 4-plate pull in you.
    Ha, I took a photo too. And thanks, I'm sure I do too. I'm excited to get back to work on it.

Friday 30 October 2015
    7:30-8:20am

Man, I thought I'd heroically throw myself back into full training right after the meet. I can barely heroically do the stairs.

The outer sides of my thighs are tight enough to hurt, somewhere between needing myofascial release and needing a fasciotomy. I'm pretty sure it's my vastus lateralis; that's either the name of the muscle or the name of a Tool album. Those supple crossfit leopards probably knew what they were doing. I rolled a 5 lb weight over them and mashed on them with the clips, which probably raised some eyebrows.

I'm not sure what post-meet training is supposed to be. So far I've been told "eat a lot." So my general plan is to re-LP everything. When in doubt, reset and LP, right?

I'll start at squats at 335 lbs. I think this is a good weight to start at for a couple reasons: because within a week or two I'll be back in the 350s (where I left off); because it's a little above 80% of 405 so that seems like an intelligent reset; and maybe most importantly, because my ego was repulsed by that number after a solid week of congratulating myself (publicly and in my own head) for doing 405 for one lonely rep, so that seems like a good sign.

Let's start today:

Squat 335 x ...4 or 5, don't even know. Holy crap. Did I say we're starting today? I meant next week. Squat 275 x 5 x 2.

Overhead press 140 x 5 x 3

Barbell curls 65 x 8 x 3

Bodyweight dips triples x 4

Legs feel better anyway. Squats fix everything. Granted, squats broke it in the first place.

IT'S HALLOWE'EN!*

31 October 2015 8-9am

Chebass, I did this for you. Next year instead of asking Rip for permission to do a costume contest and freaking him out during Fall Classic stress, let's just do an informal one in E&P.*

Deadlift 350 x 5. Very happy with this. Nice thing about the meet is I realized I'm stronger than I think. I would've*totally reset to 315 today otherwise. I could probably stand to do them faster, think this set was more than a minute total.

Bench 190 x 5 x 3, way easier than I thought it would be. LPing along.

I chugged a sample pack of NO 'Splode before this, so that plus deadlift-induced CNS meltdown means my hands are a-shakin'*my heart is a-racin' and I'm dropping everything. I'm so ashamed, I'm pretty sure *Batman puts NO Explode in his Sleepytime*tea.*

The kids already ate FOR BREAKFAST the pile of candy they got at a Halloween party yesterday so they're bouncing around the*room like bouncy balls. We're all overstimulated and trick or treating hasn't even started.*

Halloween day of the deadlift 350x5 - YouTube

That's... a lot of asterisks. Those are unintentional. Don't know how that happened. Also that video cuts off my head.

I sound like I trained my deadlift at Lamaze classes.
    Last edited by ithryn; 10-31-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Chebass, I did this for you. Next year instead of asking Rip for permission to do a costume contest and freaking him out during Fall Classic stress, let's just do an informal one in E&P.*
    Definitely. I had no idea stress from last weekend would prohibit people from watching funny youtube clips THIS weekend, but that's cool. It is Rip's site, he didn't find it amusing, so that was that.

starting strength coach development program
    Eh, it's like asking your mom or dad for permission when they're busy, the answer's always no. I thought about posting to e&p myself but somehow it didn't happen. Just means I have 364 days to obtain a full body Pikachu suit and practice training in it without passing out...