starting strength gym
Page 59 of 132 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So how long can you claim a 'GRAND OPENING'?

Quote Originally Posted by cubillini View Post
    So how long can you claim a 'GRAND OPENING'?
    ikr

Tuesday 3 November 2015
    7:15-8:25am

Squat 335 x 5 x 3. Thought my ticker was gonna blow.

Press 145 x 5 x 3

Power cleans 140 x 3 x 5

Form check me bro:

PC 140 - 3nov2015 - YouTube

Nothing special, I think I could have a straighter bar path, and get my elbows snapped up faster, and also lose the gut, but what do you think?

Bodyweight: 219, apparently. They're going to have to cut a hole in the wall so I can get in to do my squats. I imagine that number should trend down since I'm starting up the actual volume again.

Feeling much better. Not that you wanna hear about my thighs, but the pain and tightness is resolved. Man, I was going down stairs sideways. I used a broom handle to roll them (why's nobody use rolling pins?) and finally took some ibuprofen yesterday. Those measures, or just time, seems to have done the trick. Did it really take me a week and a half to recover from the meet?

The guy next to me was squatting deep, in socks, and watching my every move. Finally I complimented him, in that bizarre way we lifters do, that I had noticed he drops his derrière to the proper depth, and is he doing a program? Yup, Stronglifts 5x5. Well, ya know, Medhi got to me once too, and you could certainly choose plenty of worse programs than one that rips off Rip, so I just said he might consider switching to 3x5 when it gets heavy and he should really read The Book. He put the bar onto the floor and I thought here we go, subbing rows for power cleans. Nope. Sumoing 155. Well, ya know, sumo almost got to me once....

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Nothing special, I think I could have a straighter bar path, and get my elbows snapped up faster, and also lose the gut, but what do you think?
    I think you need to get set tight (with straight elbows), pause for a fraction of a second, and then pull. You seem to be trying to set up and pull in one motion, and it leaves your elbows unlocked.

As to the bar path, try thinking of just brushing your hips, rather than slamming into them. This should also help you make it into one smooth(er) movement.

Thurs 5 Nov 2015

Light squats, because I felt like it that's why, 275 x 5 x 2

Bench 195 x 5 x 3

Hang cleans 105 lbs x 5 reps every other minute x 4 rounds, every minute x 4 rounds

Saturday 7 November 2015 8-9am

Squat 340 x5, x5, x3 - RPE 9000

Press 150 x5 - I got under the last rep, then it halted, then my torso involuntarily flipped back into layback and I ground it up to lockout. Cool trick bro.
    Press cont'd 150 x3, 150 x2 grind grind grind
    Press 135 x3 still grindy

Pretty shaky after this. A youthful bro worked in with me for squats (225 no warmup natch) and he's concerned about good form etc and I told him about the book but I'm not sure I'm really selling it in between wheezes.

9 Nov 2015
    7:15-8am

Squat 225x5x2, mostly to warm up for

Deadlift 355 x 2...two? Ugh. Second one rounded and my lower back seized, third I couldn't get my back set

315x3, last one held up for twenty seconds in punishment

A lot of things were throwing me off, I was hungry, my usually empty corner was full of knuckleheads I kept having to move my bar around (who legpresses 5 and 10 lb weights and throws the weights around)

Pfft.

Greetings, kind sir.

I'm by no means qualified to weigh in on the matter with "advice," but I can't help myself here. You and I are damn near equal in squat and bench strength, but your deadlift is lagging (not talking trash here, just making an observation).

I know you've tried various grips, but have you ever just committed to training w/ a mixed grip for a month or two to see what happens? Your 4+ plate squat would make a 4+ plate deadlift easy, I would think. Maybe there are good reasons not to do this and if so I hope someone smarter and stronger than I will weigh in, but this seems like it would be worth a try.

Again, not talking trash so I hope it doesn't come across that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    You and I are damn near equal in squat and bench strength, but your deadlift is lagging (not talking trash here, just making an observation). ..have you ever just committed to training w/ a mixed grip for a month or two to see what happens? Your 4+ plate squat would make a 4+ plate deadlift easy, I would think.
    Oh no offense taken, certainly, there's no way not to talk trash about me deadlifting. I don't know if I need a new grip, I need a new brain. I probably would've gotten it with someone there holding me accountable to make me focus and keep my back straight. Or if I didn't go in the buttcrack of dawn without eating breakfast. I dunno.

I tend to rotate the bar with an alternate grip. It twists if you look at my old videos. It'd make you cringe. A hook grip seems to keep the bar path straight. Otherwise I would give it a whirl, I like alternate grip.

I don't know why I perceive the deadlift as so much more insanely hard than the squat. I could probably squat 375 for one rep right now and think "goshdarn that got my heartrate up but it was doable." I deadlift 315 as a warmup and it's so hard it makes me doubt anything else will go. But if I watch the video of me squatting 405, it's like, if I can make the damn bar move that far and get it back up, why not the dead? I think it might have to do with me being an unathletic wimp and the squat ensuring commitment - if you take the bar on your back, you pretty much have to do it or die (my hindbrain is convinced). Maybe I need a dropaway floor; as soon as you take the grip, the floor collapses on either side of you.

I need to figure something out. I can't really afford to go see an SSC every week for deadlifting. Maybe I'll start doing it on Saturdays again, a little later in the morning, maybe with people there.

just a random thought, because you always mention being unable to keep your back flat and/or set your back:

how narrow is your stance and grip? are you maybe crowding yourself? If your knees are not out enough your hips may not allow you to set your back correctly. sort of like how if you squat without knees out your back rounds. is this possibly the issue?

starting strength coach development program
    I think my feet are in the standing jump position. Maybe my hands could be a bit wider. You're right that the problem is in getting set up at all in the first place.

Oh, bw was 220. Not counting macros except to ensure I kill some protein every 4-5 hrs. I think I'll see what sooner increased activity does before I try to restrict cal (if 3200 cal is a restriction):

This afternoon:
    Stairs at work, 20 sec intervals every 2 min hoping security doesn't catch me, x 4 rounds
    Inclined treadmill, 8 min