starting strength gym
Page 66 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    has your wife previously tried and failed to lose weight with cardio and dieting? This may be an opportunity for a witty retort.

(caveat - retort wittiness should be scaled to the strength of your marriage)

She started it. Let it rip, man.

No don't do that. That's terrible advice.

Yeah, that's terrible advice. My witty retort would be something along the lines of "Just imagine how fat I'd be if I wasn't lifting...but was still eating like I was lifting...wait..." Except that's kinda what happened here, I went from 198 to 211 leading up to the meet, and then surfed on up to 220 while lifting less in December. It's trending back down now that I'm watching what I eat and getting to the gym 3x a week, but 3x/week is not a sufficient activity level.

She's never had to lose weight before I impregnated the heck out of her. And she watched me try to lose weight once through just cardio - jogging mostly - and I just got skinnyfat with a gut. So she wasn't saying do all that again, she was saying that I should've been doing cardio / watching my diet better this whole time. Or at least all last year. Or at least this downtime where I didn't make a lot of progress in December or January but was still eating like it.

Also, to be fair I probably shouldn't have been wearing a tight spandexy shirt while doing deadlifts which make my gut protrude like Santa Claus after we made half-pound burgers on pretzel buns for dinner before going to the gym.

Fun picture time, here's me at maybe my skinniest, doing a 5k in 2010.

Do you have a moment to talk about the joys of macro-counting?

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    blah blah blah... after we made half-pound burgers on pretzel buns for dinner before going to the gym.
    Dude sir, this is inspiration! Except after the gym, obvs.

Sunday 7 February 2016

Danced a lot last night at a father daughter dance. I think that's why everything felt heavy today. Look, you try doing the Virginia reel or whatever it was while carrying a crabby four year old up and down the line while dancing with someone else. My older girls danced at least. I really should learn ballroom dancing for their sake's.

Coach Schudt was there: one of his little daughters walks up to me and says "Mr. Doherty, are you weightlifting?" Uh...yes. "Oh. You look much stronger than you used to." Then she tells me that she can squat 105 - for three sets! -and I high fived her. The dad I was sitting next to just sat there stunned and thought it was hysterical. He's like "Are you gonna go home and flex in the mirror now?"

With the Mrs.:

Squat 310 x 5 x 3

Overhead press 150 x4, x5, x2

Deadlift 330 x 5

Wife's weights on the above: 70, 55 (triples), 110 - progress.

Bodyweight is 211. It's trending down but I'm giving serious thought to using Robert Santana, Karl's diet coach. He's down like twenty pounds and you can tell - not that I wanna tarnish his reputation or anything. I think I just need the accountability, and maybe a different brain than mine looking at this that's objective and experienced at this.

Just because I put that sickly looking photo up above, here's me now looking like a linebacker or something, I'm not used to this body:

Oh, and this happened

Wow, that's quite the difference.

To each his own and all, but I can't understand why anyone would want the runner's body instead of the linebacker's.

I'll race you to see who is featured on the real thick tumblr first

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    I'll race you to see who is featured on the real thick tumblr first
    How bout you keep up with that page and see who gets there first.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_H View Post
    Wow, that's quite the difference. To each his own and all, but I can't understand why anyone would want the runner's body instead of the linebacker's.
    Thanks! Yeah, I dunno, a real runner maybe, I was just a scrawny guy with some jigglypuff about the middle. But I don't think even the chicks who go for thin guys go for runners. Swimmers and soccer players maybe. Runners just look underfed.

Thursday 11 February 2015

Anything that goes wrong this workout I'm blaming on Ash Wednesday. So in the past I've written about my wife's lenten bean soup. Beans, veggies, potatoes, maybe a little tomato sauce. Man, if you really do the fast all day - and doubly so if you're a lifter - by the time you get to that soup your mouth is literally watering. I was almost too shaky to eat. It was the most delicious thing ever. She put mushrooms in this year, which seemed almost too luxurious. They really should be classified with rich foods like butter and beef. I think the reason the Russians are totally bonkers about mushrooms is because they give up so much for lent (the whole season no dairy, no meat, etc). They're like yeah, mushrooms, they're like a vegetable right?

Anyway. Tonight again with the wife. I love her shoes. They're her old college cool kid punk rocker shoes. (She would correct me that it was ska not punk)

Squat 315 x 5 x 3

Press 150 x3, x3, 145x4, like I said, Ash Wednesday. Well, one fitty's not bad, I can reset this a bit or whatever. Probably need to bench more often to help it along.

Deadlift 335 x 5

Wife: squat 80 (!), press 55 and 50, dl 115.