starting strength gym
Page 56 of 132 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There aren't any commands at a StrengthLifting Meet.

Your squats look solid to me. It appears you have depth (you can see it if you pause the video when at the bottom). As I mentioned before - even if you thought the weight was not going up - it was. They didn't appear to be bone-on-bone grinders, which is a good thing.

Regarding your deadlift - based on this video, your lift would probably have declared a missed attempt if it had been in the competition (Rules, Deadlift Section, Rule #3), "Any halt in the upward motion of the bar constitutes a missed attempt …". It appears (to me) that your setup is fine, standing erect is fine, but there is something funky going on when you start to pull. You pull the bar off the ground by a few inches, hold it there for a while, and then pull it up. I'm not an expert on it, but it could be a mental issue. Given the rest of the lift, I can tell you're strong enough to pull it. The deadlift is a hard lift, and you need to be completely committed to it from start to finish. My other comment would be during the ascension. You want to have the bar in a smooth, vertical path (over the mid foot) with no travel fore or aft. More contact with your legs might help - it is uncomfortable, but at least the bar doesn't wobble around.

Since you are training by yourself mostly, it might help to load the bar to something light like 225 and really nail the form. Video each set / rep, and watch it immediately. I suggest a lighter weight because it is heavy enough to require decent form, but light enough to be able to practice the movement somewhat. This can even be during your warmup sets if you want. Straight bar path, no wobbling, and an even, consistent pull off the floor.

One mental cue that I like to use when deadlifting is to "move the Earth". I envision myself pushing the Earth out of orbit against the bar. This *might* help you with an even pull off the floor with heavy weights.

Well, you can see my hips dip right as I start the pull. I agree with you, and I was just thinking I should fiddle with some light deadlifts for form's sake, although I think what's happening here only happens when the pull gets heavy. Argh. And yeah, it would've been redlighted for that initial pause. I'm not a physics expert, but something 'gave way' after that. I actually felt the release. I imagine it was probably the weight coming into a more efficient spot relative to my center of mass, but whatever. Also, yes, I noticed the awful way it moved forward and back.

*long pursed lip sigh*

I'm glad it went up at all, though. It's stupid but I'm obviously all about the subconscious awareness of whether I can do it or not.

Driving to Colorado tomorrow (14 hour drive! woo). Doubtfully get a chance to work out Sunday, otherwise it'll be Tuesday. We'll see.

Good depth on those squats. Also, you have 405 in you. Check out Jordan's log, he has a video up there of some 500+ squats he did a few weeks back. The valsalva is epic, almost violent looking. I've been trying to imitate it and it's made a difference in my own squats.

Wednesday 21 October 2015
    7:15-8:30am

Openers?

Squat 355 - heavy but not too bad. On the video it looks like I cut my depth a little short - hip crease is still below knee, but I'd like to bury it further.

TRIM_20151021_075442.mp4 on Vimeo

Press 155 - no problem

TRIM_20151021_081158.mp4 on Vimeo

Deadlift...I don't wanna talk about it. 315, fine. 355, no. What am I doing wrong? I tried to keep my butt up in the air and not rock back or move the bar, but it doesn't want to budge. This is stupid.

This is me getting 275 and 315 up and then doing nothing with 355 but getting dizzy.

DL premeet 21 Oct 2015 on Vimeo

Jón Páll Sigmarsson's ghost, eternally deadlifting in Valhöll, pauses for a moment, looks down upon me, and shakes his head.

Do you always wear a belt? Obviously no belt for 275 and 315, put belt on, no pull at 355. Belt affecting setup? Rip wrote something on that recently. If you really want to use a belt, try turning it so the buckle is over your spine, won't dig into your thigh so much.

Karl had me try using a belt, and I don't think it affected things the first few deadlift workouts. I think my back gets flat enough, which should mean the belt is okay, right? Thanks for the suggestion though.

Looking at the video again I obviously stupidly rock back and forth and sometimes roll the bar but I think that's because the weight is heavy. I initiate the pull but as it goes nowhere I start moving back behind the bar. Or maybe that's my fault. I dunno. I feel like if I could get the damn thing off the floor it would glide right up.

I wish I had time to do another coaching session prior to the meet, but oh well.

I'm still excited about the meet and getting on with training afterwards. I didn't know I was so physically close to a 400+ squat (well, I guess we'll see, but 390 is darn close anyway). The last 3x5 I did was 345 so I'll restart 3x5 LP at...whaddaya think, 330? I'll just do the presses on the standard two week Texas method. Keep doing rows, dips and chinups. Do at least one day of HIIT because holy crap I'm fat, I weighed 212 lb today and as you can see from the videographic evidence above, it's mostly gut and manboobs. Aaaaaaand somehow fix my deadlift. AGAIN.
    Last edited by ithryn; 10-21-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Your squat looks great to me, and your press is solid. Depth looks good on the squat.

Regarding the deadlift...

1. 275 & 315 are really close together for your strength level, and you may not have had adequate rest between those reps. You did a lot of work in 1:15.

2. If you can't get a lift - stand up, take a quick mental break and then reset and pull. If you stay in the pulling start position & attempt to restart multiple times - you'll probably miss it. As I counted it, you made at least four attempts while in the starting position and stayed there. The mental part of lifting controls the physical part of lifting. One setup, one attempt.

3. I know that your legs and back have the strength to move 355 (I just watched you squat it). Your setup looks pretty solid to me. Commit to the discomfort, push the Earth away from you, and stand up.

4. You might want to open with 315, a lift you KNOW you can get.

Be positive. You can do this. You are strong enough to lift the weight!

I think you buried that squat, judging from the safety angle, nice work.

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck at the meet...you got this shit, man!