starting strength gym
Page 114 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1319

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For pull-ups - don't worry about a specific number. Instead, do what you can, and make sure to do a few more the following week. Over a few weeks, you'll establish the habit of doing them, with the positive feedback of being able to do more than you did previously.

For me, I seem to be on the verge of doing better at pull-ups, then I change my programming and have to start all over a few weeks or months later.

These are probably good points. Maybe I'll just keep count.

Wed 9 Aug: Bench 205 x 5, 190 x 5 x 3 - felt tired. Like flu tired. But don't feel sick otherwise.

Thurs 10 Aug: Deadlift 325 x 5, 265 x 11

Getting a new dishwasher delivered today, car is in the shop, wife needs the car tonight, and a guy I know got some Highland games equipment and invited me over for throwing, tomorrow is an early research procedure I have to attend, and I have to record myself narrating a Powerpoint presentation for school (I hate school).

Was sick

Stay tuned

Saw the eclipse down in St. Louis. That was fantastic.

Re-re-re-re-re-start:
    Tuesday 22 August 2017: bench 185x5x3, RDL 225x8x3, chins, curls

Little brother texted me, he just benched 305.

Oh, and I did some Highland games style throwing in a field with a guy I used to work out with. We did a hammer, a ball and chain, and threw a rock around. It's actually a lot of fun. I'm sure I look like an idiot swinging the hammer around. I'm pretty inept. The ball and chain I feel I could get the hang of, though.

Wednesday 23 August this is painful, really painful. Squat 275x5x3, Press 135x5x5. Legs and back are rickety. I might be getting old. I'm going to have to never take a break from lifting until I die, I can't afford to go through this every time especially if it gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    I'm going to have to never take a break from lifting until I die, I can't afford to go through this every time especially if it gets worse.
    Now you're getting it.

Still lifting. I logged last week on paper but it's basically whatever is in between last week and this.

Laboring on Labor Day:

Warmup: Overhead squat bar x 5 x 3

RDL 255 x 8 x 3

Bench 210 x 5, 200 x 5 x 3

5 Sept 2017

Squat 295 x 5, 275 x 5 x 2 - these are starting to feel familiar again. And not so painful.

Press (2.0, not 3.0, don't panic) 140 x 5 x 5 - I'll do 5x5 a bit and then go back to amrap I figure

~~

Forgot to mention on Sunday morning I did some more Scottish-style throwing. Just the ball & chain and the hammer. The hammer takes a bit of coordination to get used to. Or maybe just being loose and going with the flow of the hammer. I'm a motor moron. It's fun though, and the joggers and dog walkers all look at you.

This was our second go at it. The first day we did this a group of little football players in the park ran by and one asked if we were filming something for Youtube.

11 September 2017

I'm doing Andy Baker programming now. I need an external authority.

Apparently today is posterior chain day:

Deadlift 315 x 5 x 3 - last two strapped

Box squats ascending -
    225 x 5 x 2
    275 x 5 x 2
    300 x 5

These were actually done on a bucket and my daughter kept telling the other kids I was doing bucket squats. Also, they're brutal. I underestimated them. I guess they really work the hamstrings.

GPP:
    Light RDL 135 x 15 x 3, alternated with:
    Hanging leg raises x 15...ish x 3

^^^ I'm ded

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday 13 September 2017

Workout: Andy Baker Blasts Your Triceps

Press 145 x 5 x 3

Close grip bench press 195 x 5 x 5 - 3 min rests

Seated dumbbell press 35 x 10 x 5

Have a nice little set of adjustable standard dumbbells with 2.5 to 25 lb weights. If you do the turning trick to tighten the spinlocks (dumbbell on floor, roll it counterclockwise, the plates turn the locks tighter) you can get them on so tight you have to use a small hammer to bang them off.

Overhead tricep extension...had some idea how to do these but he says watch his video. It's 16 minutes long and has lots of talking in front of a whiteboard and it's almost bedtime, so: barbell x 10 x 3 as best I could figure

Curls just to celebrate the fact that it's my squat rack I can curl if I want to: bar x 10 x 3

Lot of nice people in Andy's facebook group. Welcome Frank S, and Ben M who already reads me but only for the memes (same as my wife)