starting strength gym
Page 1 of 132 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

Default Perpendicular to the Surface of the Earth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    34 year old male, height 5'10", weight 198.2 lbs. I did my first Texas Method workout today:

Monday 27 October 2014 9:30-10:30am

Volume Day:

Squat
    45 x 5 x 2, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 255 x 1
    270 x 5 x 5

Bench
    45 x 10, 95 x 8, 135 x 4, 155 x 1
    170 x 5 x 5

Deadlift
    135 x 5, 225 x 3,
    275 x 5

Might post the videos shortly.

I'm a trauma nurse on Chicago's southside, got myself a wife and six (6) kids.

I left the sedentary life and began Starting Strength approximately one year ago, around 1 Nov 2013, weighing ~185 lbs. (log)

Starting weights in 2013: squat 95, bench 75, press 65, deadlift 145. Eventually I weighed 215 lbs. Real progress for seven months or so, then tried to milk advanced novice progression for a few months (an a objective observer might say I just piddled around), and only made progress on the presses. My only lifting experience prior to this was StrongLifts way back in 2010, whilst jogging and trying to cut calories, so predictably I could barely squat 225 or bench 95 at the time. Before that, no athletics or lifting experience.

The most weight I ever handled on the program: squat 330, deadlift 315, bench 195, overhead press 145.

From Sept to now I cut out carbs, reduced calories, and started doing cardio *cough* er, I mean conditioning work. Current bodyweight is ~198 lbs. Before and after shots are here, tain't pretty but at least I'm wearing shorts. I feel skinnier, and noticed that I can tie my shoes without blowing an aneurysm. "Only" my press substantially suffered, being undercut by twenty pounds or more right off the bat. My other lifts just stagnated at the same weights they were stagnating at already.

It's time to start training for strength again, without becoming a total fluffernutter. I plan to try Texas Method as written for at least a few weeks, until I wimp out or die on squat volume day, and then maybe switch to Karl's 5/1 Method.

As far as rations, I'm gonna try:

200 g protein (800 cal)
    300 g carbohydrates (1200 cal)
    120 g fat (1080 cal)
    (Total ≈ 3000 cal)

Lemme know what ya think.
    Last edited by ithryn; 10-27-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Your beard got better.

Yes, yes it did indeed. Unfortunately I'll be shorn for my Halloween costume, and I expect that alone to shave twenty pounds off all the main lifts.

How long did that first workout take?

So I'm creepin' on all ya'll's October Iron Fest videos, and I came across a certain Will Crawford (dunno the guy); watch as he slows a bit while hoisting 200 lbs overhead (it's around 2:20, but this link should take you to it):

http://youtu.be/OtohHYsSPTc?t=2m18s

There's a girl (bystander? judge?) who just starts laying into him and screaming her head off for him to finish the lift. Whoever she is, is she for hire? Like for my workouts? Anyway, impressive press Mr Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by salvilla View Post
    How long did that first workout take?
    A little over an hour, but I slammed through it. I think I rested about 5 min between squats and 4-5 min between bench presses, if that adds up. I warm up the bench between the last couple squat sets. I doubt that's gonna last forever though.

Did your squats feel ok? Those are some big jumps in my mind. But thats just me. I'm not at that level yet

They felt fine, albiet I've been messing around with the same weights for a while. Those warmup weights were chosen for convenience but I'll be more careful when I reenter PR territory.

I did realize that sets four and five have a real risk of failing due to muscle fatigue, which seems a different beast than just plain not having the strength. I felt like they could give out at the top half of a lift, which is a little scary. Just have to get used to it.

Tracking in cron-o-meter at work (couldn't get Myfitnesspal to work on my phone), I hit about 200 g protein, 120 g carbs, and 155 g fat (!), about 2600 calories,, then came home and cooked spaghetti and meatballs (using that Barilla Plus high protein+fiber pasta, anybody use that stuff?) and had a glass of tsantali rose. Pretty sure I hit or exceeded my macros. Scrambled eggs put my fat count right up there. I often discard half the yolks but I feel like I'm throwing away a thing of staggering nutritional value, which cry as they descend into the dog food bowl because they know later I'll be eating fatty meatballs anyway.

starting strength coach development program
    Im not allowed to eat Barilla pasta no more, on account of the homophobic owner.

also pasta is no good to me

good luck on the new log

Page 1 of 132 1231151101 ... LastLast