• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    STATS

19 y/o
    195-200lb
    5'9"

Novice LP:
    365x5 Squat
    225x5x3 Bench Press (wasn't consistent with this exercise though)
    395x5 Deadlift (was still progressing on this)
    160x3x3 Press
    190x3x5 Power Clean (stopped doing this lift though...no interest in it really...)

I could likely wring a bit more out of novice LP, but it is close enough to termination that I figure it is appropriate to move onto intermediate programming.

DESCRIPTION
    I am trying to get stronger, but I also do some "silly" things because I find them fun and challenging. Here are a few examples:
    Grip Strength (such as eventually closing a Captains of Crush #3)
    Running
    Jump Roping
    Juggling (seriously, I want to get better at this)
    Bodyweight Strength (slowly accruing BW "tricks" )

I probably won't log the "silly" stuff with as much focus though since no one here really cares for it.
    Also, I hope to make this log better than my old one (better, friendly interface, more info, more analysis, more videos, etc)

Here is a link to my old log (basically LP log) >>> http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=47706

TEMPLATE
    After some research on the Texas method, here is the template I have come up with

Monday
    Main Work
    Squat 5x5 @ 82-83% of last Friday
    Bench Press 5x5 / Press 5x5
    ?
    Accessories
    Chinups
    Finisher
    Thick DB Farmers Walk 5min. AMRAP

Wednesday
    Main Work
    Squat 2x5 @ 80% of Monday
    Press 3x5 / Bench Press 3x5
    ?
    Accessories
    Standing Wheel Rollouts 3x5
    Finisher
    Med Ball Slams 8x20w/10r

Friday
    Main Work
    Squat 1x5 PR
    Bench Press 1x5 PR / Press 1x5 PR
    Deadlift 1x5 PR
    Accessories
    Chinups

and the non strength related shit that nobody cares about:
    Monday
    Wrist Training

Tuesday
    Jump Rope Conditioning
    Gripper training

Wednesday
    Wrist Training

Thursday
    Gripper training

Friday
    Wrist Training

Saturday
    Run

the conditioners will be progressed very slowly so as to not interfere with the primary goal (strength) too much. I really can't see the grip work interfering with anything.

QUESTIONS (INPUT GREATLY APPRECIATED)
    I do have some questions about the above template though.

1) I made volume squat a percentage of the last intensity day because in my research the most common problem I heard was people doing too heavy of a VD. I noticed that most people's discrepancies were around 82-83%, or more generally 80-85%. However, I am considering doing the same with bench/press volume, but I am not sure if they would follow the same percentage. Should I do this? Do you think the percentage would be more like 85-87% for bench/press?

2) What should I do after press movements on Monday and Wednesday? I had been doing RDLs and Rack pulls before but hadn't quite gotten heavy yet. Are these appropriate to put in (I was thinking RDLs on Wednesday, Rack pulls on monday)?

3) I'm not sure if I should alternate my "accessories" or not. I want to focus on the chinups more though, so I am figuring it would work better to have 2x chinups each week?

4) Not too sure on rep ranges of chinups; should I do 3x5 both times and try to progress that more or should I use 5x5 on monday and 1x5 PR for friday just like the pressing and squatting?

GOALS

Within 6 months (May 11, 2015) I am hoping to achieve at least these numbers under this program, and then move onto competitions:

585x1 deadlift
    500x1 squat
    315x1 bench press
    225x1 press
    +150x1 chinup

Its in writing now so I am held accountable. These goals aren't too outlandish for a well run TM are they?
    Last edited by Levon_Xidyn; 11-05-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levon_Xidyn View Post
    These goals aren't too outlandish for a well run TM are they?
    I think you can do it. I checked in on your old log from time to time. You're young and dedicated enough. Good luck!

Silly Levon, tricks are for kids!

But srs, I think your goals are fairly aggressive. It only takes a little bad luck (illness, injury) for your plans to go awry. Ask me how I know.

Having said that, I sincerely hope you achieve them.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    I think you can do it. I checked in on your old log from time to time. You're young and dedicated enough. Good luck!
    Thanks. Hope you stick around for the journey

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    Silly Levon, tricks are for kids!

But srs, I think your goals are fairly aggressive. It only takes a little bad luck (illness, injury) for your plans to go awry. Ask me how I know.

Having said that, I sincerely hope you achieve them.
    I thought maybe it would be a more appealing name haha

Yes, I realize that. My intentions were an aggressive goal. My "backup" goal is to get those numbers in a year instead of 6 months. Even if I don't make that, I'm happy treading this path (not to say I'm not determined to get those higher numbers though).

Your goals are possible if you don't get sick or injured, sleep and eat right and stay consistent. The presses are harder to keep moving up smoothly. You're 19, so that helps a lot. Good luck.

Monday 11/10/14
    BW: 200.0

Squat
    45x3
    135x3
    225x1
    275x1

302.5x5 @ 7.5
    302.5x5 @ 8
    302.5x5 @ 8.5
    302.5x5 @ 8.5
    302.5x5 @ 9
    Bench Press
    45x5
    135x3
    185x1

197.5x5 @ 8
    197.5x5 @ 8
    197.5x5 @ 8
    197.5x5 @ 8.5
    197.5x5 @ 8.5
    Chinups
    BW x3
    +52.5x5 @ 9
    +52.5x5 @ 9
    +52.5x5 @ 9
    +52.5x5 @ 9.5
    +52.5x5 @ 9.5

Extras (Wrist Training)
    Leverage Bar 5x12x3
    Iso Hand Opening 3.75x10sec x3
    Ring False Grip 6x10sec
    Backhand Pushups 3x7

Notes:
    Warmup sets will be italicized, PR sets will be set in red.

As an attempt to learn RPEs better and have another metric to measure my workouts by, I will be trying my best to accurately rate each work set. Still learning though! I will also be tracking bodyweight at least every strength day. Although I suspect I have weighed ~200 before, this is the first time I have actually weighed 200 *officially* on a scale. So...thats about the only achievement for today.
    Last edited by Levon_Xidyn; 11-10-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Your goals are possible if you don't get sick or injured, sleep and eat right and stay consistent. The presses are harder to keep moving up smoothly. You're 19, so that helps a lot. Good luck.
    Thanks. I'll be trying my best to keep everything "right" and consistent.

For your questions I'll just give you my input:

1. I think starting with low percentages is a good idea and build up slowly if you feel like you can do a little more.

2. Rack pulls are pretty taxing to do after volume squats. It just depends how heavy you go on them. If you're looking to increase your deadlift doing RDLs on monday and light powercleans on wednesday sounds good to me. But if you want to build power I would altenate between powercleans and power snatches. It just depends on your goals.

3. I've heard of people doing chins every workout. If you want to focus on them I'd probably do them as much as possible. 5x5 on monday, 1xbw on wednesday, and 1x5 PR on friday sounds good to me.

Tuesday 11/11/14

Gripper
    3x5
    Thumb Gripper
    3x5

Notes:

Still using the pony clamps I started using near the end of my last log. Lost track of the number of rubber bands doubled over on it but its somewhere around 40. Starting to get pretty hard, but I'll just keep adding 2 bands every time I can for a few months and see how well it transfers to a CoC gripper.

No jump rope today as planned, my legs are sore as fuck from squatting and walking...wtf?

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday 11/12/14
    BW: 195.4

Squat
    45x3
    135x3
    225x1

242.5x5 @ 6.5
    242.5x5 @ 7
    Press
    45x5
    95x3
    115x1

127.5x5 @ 7.5
    127.5x5 @ 7.5
    127.5x5 @ 8
    Rack Pulls
    135x2
    225x2

295x5 @ 8.5
    Standing Wheel Rollouts
    BW x1x5

Extras (Wrist Training)
    Leverage Bar 5x14x3
    Iso Hand Opening 3.75x12sec x3
    Ring False Grip 6x10sec
    Backhand Pushups 3x8

Notes:
    I'm thinking about switching back to "press 1.0". It doesn't seem like the style of press makes much difference, so maybe I'm better of with the less technical version.

Did singles with the wheel, which was ridiculously easy but I know that if I do more the first time I will get pretty sore.

I'm wondering if these RPEs are to low for a light day? I was thinking 6.5-7.5 recovery day, 8-9 volume day and 9-10 intensity was appropriate but that might be a but conservative...thoughts?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast