starting strength gym
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah's Wreck-xas Method Log

Default Sarah's Wreck-xas Method Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been floundering around in advanced novice land for months now, de-loading more times than I can count, so I figured it's time to move on up to the big-time. You can read all my triumphs and travails at http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=48350 if you want. I think trying to LP everything at heavy (for me) weights was breaking me down, so the lower weekly volume of TM should work out well, at least at first.
    Some basic facts: female, 34, 5'6", about 150lbs. Here are my LP/SS work set (5x3, except deadlift @ 2x3) results:
    Squat: 135->175 lbs
    Deadlift: 135->225 lbs
    Press: 55->90 lbs
    Bench: 75->110 lbs
    I gave up all Olympic lifting since I have a gimp surgically-repaired left wrist that screams at me every time I put weight on it while bent backwards, so I will work on chins and pull-ups instead. I am following the women's TM program as outlined in PPST3, with some modifications to even out the workout lengths.
    Week 1:
    Volume: Squat 90% of ID 6x3, Bench 90% of ID 6x3
    -super-setted cuz ain't nobody got time for that, and I'm the only PLer in my gym so I can hog 2 racks.
    Recovery: Squat 80% of ID 3x3, Press 80% of Week 2 ID 3x3, Chin-ups and pull-ups x a lot
    -probably gonna superset these too
    Intensity: Squat 3RM, Bench 3RM, Deadlift 3RM + back-off 5 lbs x3x2
    Week 2: Same thing switching presses for bench.
    Today: Intensity Day
    Squat: 45x5x2, 75x3, 105x3, 135x2, 155x1, 172.5x3
    Bench: 45x5x2, 65x3, 85x2, 95x1, 107x3
    Chins: 2 + 4 singles, Jump pull-up negs: 5
    (No deadlifts since I did them on Wednesday)
    -So far, so good, haha!
    Last edited by SarahBeth; 11-30-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Good Luck SarahBeth. I am sure you will do great. Subscribed.

Thanks Janet!
    1st Volume Day is in the books. The presses felt easy since I'm in a 10% deload already, but the squats were a little tougher. I really have to concentrate on form and tightness. I might add deadlifts back to Wednesdays depending on how things shake out, but for now will keep them on Fridays to even out the workout lengths.
    Squat: 45x5x2, 75x3, 105x2, 135x1, 157x3x6 (90% of 175)
    Press: 33x5, 45x5, 55x3, 65x2, 73x3x6 (90% of 82)

Today was super easy and fast, considering that I've moved DLs to Friday. This might be wise considering how sore I was/am from Monday. We'll see how Friday goes. Also, I might switch over to the TM powerlifting program since I am competing locally now, and my bench press sucks ass. It was embarrassingly low at the piddly meet I did in November, and the best local lifters weren't even there. I might have to shelve presses for a while to get bench into a respectable range.
    Recovery Day:
    Squats: 45x5x2, 75x3, 105x3, 140x3x3 (80% of 175)
    Bench: 45x5x2, 65x3, 75x3, 87x3x3 (80% of 109)
    Chins: 7, jump pull-ups: 5

I agree with you on keeping DL's on friday. If I dl Wednesday, no way I would be recovered for Friday. And after only one set of squats Friday, I think DL'ing will be way better than after 3x5 squats at almost 5RM weights(as was the case at the end of advanced novice)

Also, I too felt Wednesday's workout was amazingly fast and easy. I even threw in a bit of accessory work.

Today's my birfday! I'm 35 years young and officially a "sub-master," so now I don't have to compete against any of you young-ins anymore! I want my participation ribbon for showing up to these things, dammit!
    Also, I ain't gonna lie, I've been peeping Izzy Narvaez's Powerlifting To Win programming the last few days, starting with this video:
    http://youtu.be/pEohfPC4sso
    He makes a lot of very valid points in this video, namely that there isn't enough benching and deadlifting in TM for competitive Powerlifters, and I have to agree. Also, it would probably be better from a recovery/daily variance standpoint to start integrating RPEs into my training. I bought his ebook with beginner and intermediate programs and it's very tempting to start with his Phase 3 beginner program (minus the extra days for accessory and GPP training-I don't have time for that stuff). It's a new program, but has anyone else looked at it? I have some lofty powerlifting goals for myself, and this seems like a good way to achieve them.

Happy Birthday Sarah. As for the PTW program, I played around with it for a while. It seemed ok and something I might get back to some day, but the programming was a bit complex for the day to day workouts. I know the steps up were simple enough, but my rep ranges were all over the 3-6 map from day to day. Personally I like the four day TM from PPT3 that I've been running. With less lifts to accomplish each day I am able to add in some volume through backoff sets and extra deadlift work. Not saying the PTW program isn't a good program, but I like the relative simplicity of the TM especially since I'm just barely over the intermediate threshold.

FWIW I only really stuck to the PTW program for a few weeks. Not enough time to get a proper gauge for its effectiveness.

Thanks for the feedback Dahavol! Yeah, the PTW programming does seem like a daunting task to master after doing such a simplistic program like Starting Strength for so long. He makes a good point about learning and using RPEs early, but I think I'll just stick with TM until it stops working.
    With that being said, I'm trying to squish together the TM for PL meet prep and TM for women programs, subbing chins/pull-ups for Oly pulls. It's basically just the bench focus week of the women's TM program with a deadlift variation thrown in on volume day, cuz you know that workout's not long enough already! I may run this by Andy on the Programming forum to make sure I'm on the right track. Here's what I have so far:
    Volume Day:
    Squat: 6x3 @90% of ID
    Bench: 6x3 @90-95% of ID
    Deadlift variation (SLDL, GM, deficits, etc): (2-3)x5
    Recovery:
    Squat (paused): 3x3 @90% of VD
    Press: 3x(3-5), increasing weight once 3x5 is achieved
    Chins AMRAP, jump pull-ups to fatigue
    Intensity:
    Squat: 3RM
    Bench: 3RM
    DL: 3RM, then -5lbsx3x2
    Since I already have two more PL meets planned in the foreseeable future, I think this will prep me better than splitting upper body work with presses, and by adding in more deadlift work. We'll see if I survive, haha!
    Today:
    Squat: 45x5x2, 75x5, 105x3, 135x2, 165x1, 175x3
    Press: 33x5, 45x5x2, 65x3, 75x2, 82x3x3
    -I stuck with the original plan for this week, but added in the extra volume. I'll go for 3x5 at this weight next Wednesday.
    Deadlift: 135x3, 185x1, 225x3, 220x3x2

There is no reason you can't incorporate RPE measurements into your ID work for the TM (or VD for that matter). In fact by using RPE and a 1RM calculator you can get some idea of how much progress you are making in 1RM terms. Of course the calculators are likely to be off from true 1RM somewhat, but its a decent metric for logging progress. Then when you want to switch it up with more of a RTS type program, you are already used to gauging RPE.

starting strength coach development program
    I got the OK from Andy B on the programming forum for my TM for lady Powerlifters program, so it's full steam ahead! I'm a little overwhelmed with choices for deadlift variations, so I just started with some light RDLs to get the technique down. I bartered with my gym's owner to write me a progression in exchange for a pot of my award-winning chili at our holiday party, so we'll see what he comes up with.
    Volume Day:
    Squat: 45x5x2, 75x3, 105x2, 155x1, 160x3x6 (90% of 177.5)
    Bench (paused): 45x5x2, 65x3, 85x2, 98x3x6 (90% of 109)
    RDL: 85x5x3

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast