starting strength gym
Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Viking Strength....Let's hope

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    I admit I've been feeling run down lately because of some odd shift work scheduling, competing for a promotion at work (still in progress), and both of my children and wife have colds.
    Yuuuup, sounds about right, lol. Good luck with not catching that cold...

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Yuuuup, sounds about right, lol. Good luck with not catching that cold...
    haha yeah so far so good Cody! Here's hoping that continues...

**Midnight Sesh in the dungeon...I mean gym

BW: 229.7 lbs (night-time weigh-in)

Recovery Squats: Beltless; 2 min rest

230*8x2

Press:

130*5 beltless
    145*5 beltless
    160*7 (RPE 9.5)

Deadlift: All Beltless Sets

275*5 D/OH Grip
    315*5 D/OH Grip
    355*8 New all-time Rep PR!!!! (RPE 10)

Accessory: 2 min rests

Weighted Chins: 282 lbs x4,4,3 +2 negatives
    LTE: 112.5*10,8

**Excellent workout! Focused on form more with the recovery squats as I've noticed I've been letting things get more sloppy and just wasn't feeling the groove anymore. Tonight I focused on getting my ass back (getting into my hips more) and shoving those knees out... OMG it felt amazing! I hate squats but getting back into the proper groove even at a lighter weight felt awesome! I guess I was letting myself squat with my knees after letting things get sloppy so now I have to cue myself to get back into using mah Huhyip drahve!

**Presses felt a little heavier than they maybe should have tonight but still managed a respectable (by my standards) top set of 7. My all-time record is 8 and that was at a heavier bodyweight I believe (like 242 or something) so it's not bad for my first training cycle back into the intermediate programming.

**Deadlift rep PR tonight!!!!! So excited to bust that plateau by 10 lbs! My deadlifts felt strong af and I felt like I had gorilla/yeti grip tonight. I may have pushed RPE to the max but it was so worth it. Remember when I said way back when that I'd stop training so close to 9's and 10's all the time...

**Excellent news; I seem to have avoided catching the cold that my wife, baby boy, and little girl have had all week! Yay!

Nice work, Matt. Still hitting PRs despite all the life stresses.

I have some 8s programmed on deadlifts this week. I think I'll pass though...

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Nice work, Matt. Still hitting PRs despite all the life stresses.

I have some 8s programmed on deadlifts this week. I think I'll pass though...
    Hey thanks Manveer! Yeah it's been a crazy few months here but I'm still truckin'. I pretty much hate anything over 3 reps in any exercise... I must be lazy haha.

Quote Originally Posted by MattimusMaximus View Post
    I pretty much hate anything over 3 reps in any exercise... I must be lazy haha.
    Samesies

**Late night rendezvous with the weights (after midnight)

BW: 228.6 lbs (been in caloric deficit since Aug.17)

Squats:

265*5 beltless
    305*5 beltless
    345*8 (RPE 10) back still tired from deadlifts

Bench:

185*5 beltless
    210*5 beltless
    235*8 beltless (RPE 9.5)

CG Bench: 185*5x3 Tri's toast from attempting 9th rep on bench
    BB Pendlay Rows: 212.5*10x2
    BB Curls: 125*10x2

**So not a great night session... but to be fair I've been in a caloric deficit for a week and I've also tried eating a little "healthier"...

**Squats felt like garbage and funny enough I was considering postponing my workout tonight because my hammies didn't feel quite recovered from the other day's deadlift rep PR. I should have listened to intuition but alas, I'm a sucker for the iron. Right away on my first set of 265 I could feel I wasn't in the "groove" and I was losing tension in the hole due to fatigue. 305 I actually felt a little gassed on, which is a joke considering the weight.
    Then 345... it didn't feel heavy except for when I was trying to come out of the hole... there just wasn't the usual energy/tension to bounce back up. My 8th rep was more like a paused rep and when I locked out I stood for a couple of seconds as I was starting to shake. I decided to say "fuck it", took a deep breath and descended for a 9th rep but there was absolutely no tension and I bailed. I was pretty pissed off at myself but then I realized... deadlift PR + less food = poor recovery. Considering my rep max is 9 at a bodyweight of over 240 that's not bad at all but I'm still disappointed.

**Bench felt pretty good and I definitely thought I had it... even took a vid and it shows the 9th rep got stuck about 7/8ths the way up to lock out... I counted the vid time and I held it there completely still for 6 whole seconds before I gave up. I'd post the vid but my gut hangs out of my shirt like I'm pregnant, hence the reduction in calories as of late. That's a weird sticking point for me and a new one at that. Usually if I fail it's within the first 1/4 out of the hole. Too bad I didn't make it as it would have been a new all-time rep PR.

**CG bench doesn't really matter for this journal's purpose, but damn my tri's were numb doing these after failing the bench rep!
    Last edited by MattimusMaximus; 08-24-2017 at 01:39 AM.

**BW: 233 lbs (Midnight sesh)

Recovery Squats: beltless; 2 min rest

235*8x2

Press:

145*5 beltless
    160*3
    175*5 (RPE 9.5)

Deadlift:

315*5 beltless
    355*3 beltless
    395*4 (RPE 9.5) +1 beltless rep

Chins: BW*11,7,6
    LTE: 115*10,6

**Awesome training night. Went in with little confidence and managed to set all my old PR's from before getting all that icky sicky crap. I'm glad I'm back in the ballpark again so that when it's time to reset it'll be GainzZz time.

*Presses went well but I did try to push a 6th rep to no avail. I suppose there's next reset to try and one up myself.
    *Deadlifts I wasn't sure if I should start singles tonight but I went with the 4 reps instead obviously. I may start singles at 405 or 415... I haven't decided.

**Saw "Spiderman Homecoming" last night and it was pretty good and surprisingly funny.

Here's the 175*5 Press with 6th rep fail

Here's the 395*4 Deadlift

...And just for gigs here's the LTE 115*10
    Last edited by MattimusMaximus; 08-29-2017 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Added Vids For The First Time In A Long Time :)

**BW: 230.1 lbs (Midnight sesh in the basement)

Squat:

305*5 beltless
    345*3
    385*4 +1 (RPE 9.5)

Bench:

210*5 beltless
    235*3 beltless
    260*5 (RPE 10)

CG Bench: 187.5*5x3
    BB Pendlay Rows: 215*8x2
    BB Curls: 127.5*10x2

**Squats didn't go according to plan... I wanted 5 but I got 4 with an immediate single... I f'd up the 4th rep with 385 and loosened in the hole. I managed to recover and complete the rep but that 4th rep was basically a paused squat and it was a real grind!
    **Bench felt heavy but managed to hit my target for the day. Nothing too exciting, just getting the work in.

starting strength coach development program
    **First day wifey is off Maternity Leave... buh bye GainzZz!

BW: somewhere in the low 230's

Recovery Squats: beltless; 2 min rests

240*8x2

Press:

135*5 beltless
    150*5 beltless
    165*6 (RPE 9.5)
    +1

Deadlift:

285*5 beltless
    325*5 beltless
    365*6 (RPE 9.5)
    +1

Weighted Chins: 286 lbs x3x3
    LTE: 117.5*10,6

**The wife has gone back to work which means I will be getting less sleep lol! I was already up 2 hours earlier than usual this morning... my wife would let me sleep a bit because I work a lot of later shifts but those days are over now haha. Buh bye recovery. Oh well, I love my family!

**Nothing new, all lifts were either old PR's or very close so I did a beltless single on the main one's after each top set. Just for the lulz...

Page 85 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast