starting strength gym
Page 150 of 178 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1779

Thread: Dr Gainslove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the carb

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    W4 D1 - Low Stress Week

Food: averaged 2375 over the past week, of which only 160 was alcohol related, so my actual food consumption is still going up.
    Fatigue: was woken by my kids at 5:30, plus I slept in a weird angle. Lower back is sore

Squat (rx: warm ups to a single @ 8, 26% load drop for 1 set of 6)
    172.5 x 1
    177.5 x 1
    182.5 x 1
    138.5 x 6 (beltless)
    felt pretty good. still a bit of knee slide in the squats, but bar path is better and reps still fast.

Comp Bench (rx: warm ups to a single @ 8, 26% load drop for 1 set of 6)
    107.5 x 1
    110 x 1
    112.5 x 1
    86 x 6
    all went pretty well. top single felt good and is approaching my 1RM, but still feels a solid RPE 8.

BB Row (rx: amrap 10 minutes)
    80 x 8 x 6
    these still hurt my wrist. have moved grip in to about deadlift grip. seemed maybe better?

Video:

Squats were fast, and the bench is looking great! Unfortunately I have no tips for rows. Maybe try wearing wrist wraps?

Looking really good! I hate rows because they destroy my shoulder, and they took me a stupidly long time to figure out form-wise. Hard to tell from the video angle -- are you sending your elbows straight up? They look good, anyway.

Also, answering a question from a bit ago -- backwards elliptical stuff is totally a "real" thing (as much as any of that bullshit is "real"). When I was in college and first starting to exercise, I would go with my friends and just do what they did, which was to just do the elliptical for a fucking hour while reading trashy magazines (this lasted for about 6 months before I gave up and started doing a poorly-executed SSLP). The going backwards is supposedly to help you "work different muscles": going backward is more for quads, blah blah blah. Also it's supposed to make it less mind-numbingly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Squats were fast, and the bench is looking great!
    thanks N!

Quote Originally Posted by anniemichael View Post
    backwards elliptical stuff is totally a "real" thing (as much as any of that bullshit is "real"). When I was in college and first starting to exercise, I would go with my friends and just do what they did, which was to just do the elliptical for a fucking hour while reading trashy magazines (this lasted for about 6 months before I gave up and started doing a poorly-executed SSLP). The going backwards is supposedly to help you "work different muscles": going backward is more for quads, blah blah blah. Also it's supposed to make it less mind-numbingly boring.
    thanks for the cardio lesson! still sounds pretty boring though

I go forwards on mine all the time, I can't imagine going backwards would make it any less mind numbing.

It's just another one of those fitness myths. Go backwards to emphasize different muscles! Don't lift more than 5lbs! High rep sets so you don't get bulky! etc etc

W4 D2

Food: only got to 2150 yesterday.
    Fatigue: didn't sleep that well again - I woke up just before 6 and gave up trying to get back to sleep before my alarm went

Deadlift (rx: 2 x warm ups, 1 @ 8, 26% drop for a set of 6)
    192.5 x 1
    197.5 x 1
    202.5 x 1
    155 x 6
    not too happy with form, I didn';t get my knees out far enough. The pulls weren't overly tough so the RPE was about right.

2 ct on the shoulders Press (rx: 5@7, 5@8, 5@9, triples until RPE 8.5 - because this wasn't getting specific enough)
    60 x 5
    63.5 x 5
    66 x 5
    66 x 3 x 2
    I'm not sure what the purpose of this movement is, but I assumed it was beltless, and was strict. I note pin press comes in the program later too. Had to guess at weights but I think I got it spot on

Tempo Squat (rx: amrap 10 minutes)
    110 x 6, 6, 6, 5, 5
    fuck I hate this movement. Was trying to get sets of 6 at the same weight as last week - didn't make it

Video:

Gym Story:
    so this girl I've never seen in the gym before walks in, she's had her hair done, heavy makeup, wearing a super low cut crop top and tights. She's hanging out at the other end of the gym so I am paying her no attention until, between my press sets, she walks the length of the gym, right up the rack where I'm pressing and starts grabbing the barbell. She then walks away and checks out the womens change room and I figure she's checking out the gym to sign up so I say hi and start chatting (I usually talk up the gym to newcomers, they need more members). Turns out she's booked the gym to do a photo shoot, which explains the hair and makeup; she's a wannabe fitness model. BTW, she was slim without bein lean, had no muscle definition, and looked like she never stepped foot in a gym, so I don't know what's going on there. As I left she was posing with pink boxing gloves, sitting on the bench press, while her photographer took shots of her and out American intern watched eagerly

W4 D3 GPP

Food: 2240 yesterday
    fatigue: slept pretty well, not feeling sore

Warm up
    5 min treadmill

LISS
    20 min C2 (4040m)

Pull downs
    63kg x 8, 8, 8, 6, 6, 7

planks
    35sec x 6

EZ bar Curls
    32 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 8
    fuck, even on the EZ bar these hurt my wrist

LTE
    32 x 8, 6, 6
    stopped due to wrist pain.

W4D4

Food: 2225 yesterday, with the help of a marvelous Nutella scroll I had mid afternoon
    Fatigue: OMG my hips are so tight and sore from the rowing. I told you all I was alergic to cardio. Slept OK, about 6.5 hours.

2ct Paused Squat (rx: 5@7, 5@8, 5@9, triples until RPE 8.5)
    The spreadsheet jordan put together had a formula for the proposed weights, but it referenced max bench numbers. I figured this was an error and changed it to reference squat numbers, and the proposed sets looked too heavy (they were heavier than beltless squats, which can't be right). I decided to just forget the formula and work out 5@7 based on warm ups. may have undershot it slightly, but I'm OK with that
    120 x 5
    130 x 5
    140 x 5
    140 x 3 x 3
    First set was a mess, they got better from there.

Comp Press (rx: 2 x warm up, 1@8, 26% load drop for a set of 6)
    77.5 x 1
    80 x 1
    81 x 1
    62.5 x 6
    formula had my single at 82, but warm ups felt heavy so I tempered my single. Felt like I had some knee kick but video doesn't look too bad, I guess?

floor press (10 minute AMRAP)
    85 x 8, 8, 8, 8, 6, 8
    lost it on the 5th set, but got to 8 on the last. this totally fries the triceps

video:

Music:
    this came on the radio - I've been playing it lots, it makes me want to grab my wife and drive up the coast

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    W4D4
    The spreadsheet jordan put together had a formula for the proposed weights, but it referenced max bench numbers. I figured this was an error and changed it to reference squat numbers, and the proposed sets looked too heavy (they were heavier than beltless squats, which can't be right). I decided to just forget the formula and work out 5@7 based on warm ups. may have undershot it slightly, but I'm OK with that
    Did you tell him? He's OCD enough that he'd probably want to know. When it comes to excel sheets I'm the same way though. Some of his formatting on the templates was a little inconsistent and it drove my nuts. I'm talking a cell would have a different line thickness lol I need help.

I just updated my template and it looks like the % is correct for suggested loads. That's pretty damn close to what I can hit for paused belted squats. The top set of paused belted squat for is a 2.5kg higher than my best paused beltless squat triple.

How are you enjoying the templates? Have you thought of cable work for bicep/triceps? I know those options are way easier on my wrists and elbows. I know Jordan mentioned either in a podcast or in one of his GPP template seminars he trains at crossfit gyms that don't have cables so he does banded triceps extensions. I can tell you I'm in the same boat and do the same, so much easier on my elbows and wrists. I used to be at a gym that had cable machines which I preferred, but the bands do their job in a pinch.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 03-16-2017 at 06:52 AM.