Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1779

Thread: Dr Gainslove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the carb

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Thought you might find this interesting:
    Fixing Hip Shift in the Squat - Juggernaut
    haha, yeah the stuff at about 9:30 is what she was doing.

What's not clear in the video is:

1- does CWS have an underlying imbalance that causes his hip shift - they sort of touch on that it's happening but it is a structural issue? Or a bad habit?, and
    2 - is he currently injured, or is this part of his standard warm up to fix a bad habit.

still its a good video, thanks for posting. I'm going to try some of the mobilising techniques and see if they help free up my hips a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    sorry about your wife, sounds like she got to deal with a real asshole

dry needling is relatively new and there's not much research yet. Best I could find from legit sources was that Physios should exercise caution in making claims until more research is done, but preliminary research showed some improvement in pain levels.

For me it felt like digging a hard ball into a muscle, but the pain stayed about 24hrs after
    It was a little Asian lady actually but still, a quack. Anyway sorry to hijack your log.

When you say the pain stayed I assume you mean it subsided (like a 'stay of execution') heh. If so, then I'm glad that it worked for you. If it works, do it I say.

All the best mate, hope you keep seeing improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    It was a little Asian lady actually but still, a quack. Anyway sorry to hijack your log.

When you say the pain stayed I assume you mean it subsided (like a 'stay of execution') heh. If so, then I'm glad that it worked for you. If it works, do it I say.

All the best mate, hope you keep seeing improvements.
    Ha, no I meant it hurt for 24 hours, like a bad DOMS

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    You might want to look into sports therapists, physical rehab therapists etc. I don't know the situation down there, but here physiotherapy is a chartered profession, but other more applicable professions exist too, maybe check what sports teams and universities affiliations are? Anyway, physios here mostly try to get you back to a useable body with the least effort on your behalf (ie. general population stuff), but there are folks who try to get you back to your best but you got to work for it (ie athletes and such). Which is how pro athletes recover from Injuries that are supposed to take months or years in a few weeks. Well, that and "medicines", obvs.
    Ha, I think it's pretty similar here. I'm actually thinking I'll be better off handling my own rehab, I just need someone to do remedial massage if injured.

Holy fuck, your physio sounds retarded.

As to dry needle, there is some research around tissue repair where the new fibers aren't in line with the original fibers, and that it can realign those fibers by tearing the defunct repair, then encouraging the proper alignment for the new tissue via contractions induced by e-stim.

I had it over a few weeks in addition to IASTM and general physio exercises earlier this year while rehabbing my hip/quad.

Honestly not sure what helped or didn't because we used a shotgun strategy. Use all the tools and hope for the best. It at least didn't make anything worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Holy fuck, your physio sounds retarded.
    That was my thinking too. Or mainly over eager to try some of this stuff. It might be more that she generally deals with middle aged women with sore shoulders, so when she got a client who lifts she figured she could try stuff more suited to professional athletes.

It possibly all physio is slightly retarded, as evidenced by the CWS video. I tried some of those hop mobilisation things and they weren't very good.

Honestly not sure what helped or didn't because we used a shotgun strategy. Use all the tools and hope for the best. It at least didn't make anything worse.
    Yeah, I'm not needles work any better than trigger point massage, and I can do that to myself with a ball for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Yeah you're probably right.

Maybe local colleges/universities offer cheap sports massage and stuff? Ours did (probably still does)
    No colleges nearby, but there is a guy I've seen in the past. He doesn't care about ongoing strengthening so good treatment is assisted stretching, massage, and sometimes heat therapy and electro stim. He's cheaper too, but he's a real fucking pain to be around. An old Dutch bloke who talks constantly with me memory for the fact he's repeating himself. Still I think I'd be better off with him, or one of the cheap shopping mall Asian massage places. As long as I don't accidentally go to a rub and tug, but that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    Yeah, I'm not needles work any better than trigger point massage, and I can do that to myself with a ball for free.
    For my quad, I actually wasn't a fan of the needling at all, but Graston and foam rollers both made very big, tangible differences for pain.

We couldn't use either of those on my hip, though, just because of the location. For that, the needles might or might not have done anything. They at least didn't hurt. All my stuff was covered by insurance no matter what we did in every session.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    For my quad, I actually wasn't a fan of the needling at all, but Graston and foam rollers both made very big, tangible differences for pain.

We couldn't use either of those on my hip, though, just because of the location. For that, the needles might or might not have done anything. They at least didn't hurt. All my stuff was covered by insurance no matter what we did in every session.
    Yeah when I had a hip thing last year I couldn't get it with a roller either, too deep.

It's funny how insurance skews my thinking. When I was getting 60% back I was more willing to try stuff. Now that I've exceeded my limit and it's all out of pocket I figure I can take care of myself
    Last edited by Simon Rest; 07-16-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Warm up

did some foam rolling. I feel like I want to click my back into place but it just won't click.

Squats
    worked up to 80kg x 5 x 3.
    I filmed these from front on and yeah, there's still a pronounced shift to my left going on. There's also a foot placement issue. I think on set 3 I got my feet more parallel and my hips were straighter. Maybe?

Comp Bench
    112.5 x 1 @7
    115 x 1 @8ish
    117.5 x 1 @8
    90 x 5 x 5
    Warming up I had some wrist pain, but if I kept my wrist really straight it was OK to bench with. Back was a little sore from squatting. Top singles felt heavier than they should so I dropped the top single from 120 to 117.5.
    Last edited by Simon Rest; 07-16-2017 at 08:49 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, confirmed. Definitely noticed the feet weren't pointing out the same amount on set 2, but better on set 3. Still a tiny bit of hip shift in set 3 though. Also don't know if you noticed but the bar seems to be lower on the left hand side on that last set. Maybe that's a contributing factor too.