starting strength gym
Page 171 of 178 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1779

Thread: Dr Gainslove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the carb

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    Yep, confirmed. Definitely noticed the feet weren't pointing out the same amount on set 2, but better on set 3. Still a tiny bit of hip shift in set 3 though. Also don't know if you noticed but the bar seems to be lower on the left hand side on that last set. Maybe that's a contributing factor too.
    Yeah I did see that, but one problem at a time.

Now the question is: do I have hip shift because of residual tightness or an underlying neuromuscular issue? Or just because of a sloppy set up?

How many therabands will I need to correct this using unilateral movements

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    Yeah I did see that, but one problem at a time.

Now the question is: do I have hip shift because of residual tightness or an underlying neuromuscular issue? Or just because of a sloppy set up?

How many therabands will I need to correct this using unilateral movements
    I agree with BenM's observations. Perhaps double-check your bar placement to get that slight lean to the left fixed and get the left toes pointed out a bit more as well (to be equivalent to your right foot). Best of luck!

BTW: You'll need 3 therabands, a bosu ball, and a functionally-literate trainer to fix this .
    Last edited by irongeek; 07-17-2017 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Add smart-ass comment.

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    BTW: You'll need 3 therabands, a bosu ball, and a functionally-literate trainer to fix this .
    just when I thought I was out, They pull me back in!

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    I'm talking out of my arse here so fully ignore me, but I'm wondering now; since your feet are quite close, it doesn't take much to shift some bodyweight over to rely upon a stronger side, wiggle around a weak point for one joint angle or something, etc. Perhaps with a wider stance, you'd be forced to work more balanced since you couldn't alter balance/moments/joint torque etc. to nearly the same degree, and trying to would require much more massive and impractical shifting about under the weight, in effect either minimising the natural/unconscious shifting, or else making it majorly obvious and noticeable? Just spitballing here, try asking someone who knows what they're on about if it seems a possibility.
    This sounds like the kind of plausible yet untested explanation that I am bang up for. I'll try it out and see if it helps.

Could be both some tightness or neuromuscular issue or sloppy set up...?

What about if you squat a medium weight, focus on form and set up? What I mean is that, squatting a medium weight with a focus on form and set-up will tell you if it's sloppy set-up or something. Just focus on pushing evenly with left and right side. Repeat again for another set after you watch the video. Alternatively... you could squat in front of a mirror.

I am hesitant to tell you to change your stance width if that's comfortable and it doesn't hurt.

I'd wait for Cody or someone to pitch in first, especially with ongoing problems. Don't get all fucked up on my ideas!
    maybe I should post in the coaches Q&A with questions on single leg rehabilitation exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Could be both some tightness or neuromuscular issue or sloppy set up...?

What about if you squat a medium weight, focus on form and set up? What I mean is that, squatting a medium weight with a focus on form and set-up will tell you if it's sloppy set-up or something. Just focus on pushing evenly with left and right side. Repeat again for another set after you watch the video. Alternatively... you could squat in front of a mirror.

I am hesitant to tell you to change your stance width if that's comfortable and it doesn't hurt.
    I'm leaning towards current tightness, and sloppy set up. I definitely am tighter on one side, and am currently favouring one side when doing things like picking items off the floor, but also when I noticed how uneven my stance was and corrected it in the last set my squats got straighter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, today's tomfoolery

lots of foam rolling - am feeling tighter than normal but less sore

deadlift/RDL
    30 x 5
    40 x 5 x 2
    essentially a deadlift off the floor as rep 1, followed by 4 RDL below the knee and placing the bar on the floor at the end. Being able to (almost) set up for deadlift is a step forward, even if the weight is triffling

Press
    63.5 x 5 @7.5
    66 x 5 @8.5
    68.5 @9
    65 x 5 @9 (beltless)
    can't do press 2.0, having to press strict, with only the slightest lean to avoid grazing my nose

Skipped floor press, too sore

lots of foam rolling again, and stretching.

I'd wait for Cody or someone to pitch in first, especially with ongoing problems. Don't get all fucked up on my ideas!
    Nah, you're good homie! Tinkering with stance is a super easy way to potentially work around injuries.

Woke up feeling super tight, but responded well to stretching out (minds out of the gutter boys)

foam rolling and CWS hip activation stuff

Prowler + 0
    100m x 5
    uprights, walking pace. turned out about 2:30 active, 1 min rest

lat pull down
    6 min density
    120lbs x 8 x 7 sets

plank
    6 min density
    30sec holds x 6
    hey hey, but up to 30 seconds.

back felt really good after this. famous last words

Aside:
    through all this I've cut down on carbs so that my macros look like 200p, 150c, 65f and I'm generally coming in under those numbers. have lost 5kg since comp, down to about 122kg or so. I need to keep this going and wind up down around 105-110, but that's pretty much going to take the rest of the year to accomplish. Training volume may have to be tempered to make this work

foam rolling and stretching - lots because I was sore

squat
    90kg x 5 x 3
    meh. depth was better, and I think hip shift is slightly better?
    tried wider stance JC but it put more pressure on my back, which IIRC is why I narrowed it in the first place. You can see I start then readjust it.
    anyway I got through these and then was sore again, so more stretching and rolling

Press
    76 x 1 @9 - the fuq?
    60 x 5 x 5
    yeah, so this was no good.

good mornings
    20 x 8 x 3
    I just did sets between press sets to try help loosen up more.

More stretching and rolling. I swear I spent 40 minutes fucking about stretching and rolling.

felt stiff and sore, foam rolling really helped

catapult bench
    115 x 5 @8
    120 x 5 @9
    112.5 x 5 x 2
    all good, but had some slight pain in my hand - must have had the bar out of place

seal row
    80 x 5 @8
    85 x 5 @9
    90 x 5 @9.5
    all good, so awkward
    Instagram

treadmill
    1km in 10 min. first half walking, second half jogging.

more foam rolling.

Stories:
    - poor regular has bulged L4/5. She already had issue and was worried about training hurting her back and now will pretty much stick to rehab stuff for life I reckon. I told her about how often I used to do it and how the only solution was getting stronger. It might have been a more compelling argument if I wasn't currently injured
    - Gym trainer had 3 clients back to back for 30 minute sessions while I was there - every single one got the exact same session - it was a bodyweight circuit repeated 10 times, all with the same weights, and he sat on a bench and read his phone.

starting strength coach development program
    I can't tell if it's the angle or what, but it looks like your right leg is turned out more than your left?