• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Simczyk View Post
    I like log the title.

"Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Great log title.
    Cheers.

I have been a total carb phone until recently, but since adding in better carbs (waxy maize instead of say a whole pizza, or oats) I've managed to push my training harder while still trying to recomp. There is some truth to this title

I figured since I started this shit talking thread I might as well log my workouts here

W1 D1

Sleep: 8 hours broken into 2x4hr lots
    food: been hitting 2500/day fairly consistently for the last week, but it's been lower in protein and higher in ethanol content than I'd like. Macros going forward are 250/220/70/35 (p/c/f/f)

Bench
    95 x 1 (paused)
    95 x 2
    95 x 2
    90 x 2
    80 x 5
    60 x 8
    wow - pretty shit really. wanted 95 for 3 with a paused first rep, but was all out grinding the single out. I felt out of the groove, so kept doing more volume until I felt better about myself. At least I succeeded in keeping my arse down on the bench!

press
    55 x 5/5/5/5/4
    again, pretty disappointed in this. wanted to re-start at 60kg, but 55 felt heavy enough that I knew 60 was out of the question for sets. as it was still missed the last rep. I got it just past my head, and got under it, but couldn't lock it out.

Bench row
    40 x 8
    60 x 8
    70 x 5
    wanted to try an alternate pulling movement, but I don't think I'll persist with this

HIIT
    C2, tababta with 1 minute warm up and cool down. the screen was out of batteries, so I had to time on my phone, and have no idea of intensity or distance. felt hard to me.
    As an aside, surely there is enough energy produced by the wheel spinning to power the LED display?

so all up a pretty shitty session. lets hope they get better.

W1 D2

Sleep: good solid 8 hours, only broken for urinary purposes
    Food: hit 253/233/48/37 yesterday. getting enough fat is a problem for me. Might add nuts or avocado to breakfast
    recovery: [Massive TMI alert] something is not agreeing with me and I've got the squirts. trying to keep up enough water intake.

squat
    150 x 3
    160 x 3
    150 was much harder than it should've been. Thought i'd get 160 for 1 or 2, so was pretty happy to get 3 reps. I strained an erector though - a lot of foam and barbell rolling helped me get through the rest of the workout

snatch
    40 x 2
    50 x 2

SGDL
    90 x 5 x 3
    tough

band assisted chin ups
    5/4/4/3/4/3/2
    I use a horizontal band stretched across a power rack, that way I can vary the height and thereby work required. I had it set on pin hole 3, which makes me pull the last little bit without assistance (although I often lose contact with the band). I also don't use any bounce between reps - each one is from a stop.

no gym stories - it's still quiet. think a lot of people are on holidays.

W1 D3

man, my strength has really taken a hit

Sleep: not bad - waking up a few times during the night, but not struggling to fall back asleep (wife's snoring notwithstanding).
    Food: 2550 (252/244/61) on Tuesday, 2700 (270/150/100) on wednesday
    recovery: Got DOMS bad. pecs and groin the worst hit

Press
    60 x 4
    55 x 5
    50 x 7
    blergh - pressing is right out the window. Can't believe I missed rep 5 at 60kg.

bench
    86 x 3 (misload)
    81 x 5/5/3 - then something was hurting in my right shoulder.
    61 x 5/5
    this is concerning.

DB row
    30kg x 12 x 2

HIIT
    bike, 5 rounds (140:20)

W1 D4

Sleep: OK
    Food: good - 2465 (269/211/63)

went mid morning, because its going to be hot today

Deadlift
    165 x 3
    I was really pleased with my form - I was focusing on keeping my upper back tight. I've let my upper back round recent;y and I think it's hurting my pull off the floor.
    Hook grip too, which hurt, but I did it. Considered a second set, but decided against it.

Squat
    120 x 5
    125 x 5
    130 x 5
    125 x 5
    120 x 5
    form was good, but my back is still quite sore from tuesday. Made these painful

Chins
    2/1/1/1/1
    all strict. Looks like I'm running chins as volume and intensity as well. Will do volume assisted and intensity strict and see if I can build up to sets of 5 strict chin ups.

Sent in my payment for the comp on the 1st of Feb - against my better judgement. I'm not ready, I am far more detrained than I thought I would be, and I have very little time to correct it. Was considering pulling out, but now that I've paid I have to do it.

Now it's time to eat.

W2 D1

Sleep: good - averaging 7 hours a night
    Food: cals over Fri/Sat/Sun were around 2600-2700.

Bench
    95 x 1 (paused)
    90 x 2 x 2
    80 x 5/3 (all paused)
    Bench is still feeling shit.

Press
    57.5 x 3
    55 x 4/5/5/5
    Press is also still feeling shit. looks like I'll have to fight hard to regain on both of these. I'll go straight back into microloading both. Shit.

HIIT
    C2, tabata protocol. Computer is still broken so timed it with my phone, no idea of the total distance.

W2 D2

Sleep: about 7 hours, but broken a few times
    Food: a bit under - 2350. (my wife does 5:2, so monday and thursday dinners are lower cal).
    Recovery: my right shoulder is giving me grief. this may be the cause of my shitty benching and pressing, or maybe that's still because I'm a weak ass

Squat
    165kg x 3
    second rep was a hot mess, but went for a third and ground it out. Circuits boy* confirmed depth

SLDL
    120kg x 5 x 3
    all sets were touch n go. nothing beats me up like this exercise

pull ups
    5/5/5/4.5/4
    band assisted. felt better than last week

* circuits boy is an old friend who I have been helping train. The name comes from his insistence to do bodyweight exercise circuits twice a week, in order to "trim down".

Gym Story:
    looks like more people are back from holiday breaks and the gym is getting busier. I've never seen so many people doing DB curls as a form of cardio before.

How long did you have off over Christmas? Had a 3 week break and seems I've regressed around 3 months. So usually the first months about getting to my previous maxes.... Ballache

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    How long did you have off over Christmas? Had a 3 week break and seems I've regressed around 3 months. So usually the first months about getting to my previous maxes.... Ballache
    I had 2 weeks, but was sick the week before that, so was around 3 weeks with little training. Did't think I'd fall this far behind.

starting strength coach development program
    W2 - bonus day!

had a bit of time in the middle of the day so thought I would fit in some additional upper body work. Went full brotard

DB bench
    50kg x 8 x 3
    supersetted (superset?) with

DB row 35kg x 6 x 3

Curls
    31kg x 8 x 3

tricep pull down
    40kg x 8 x 3

cuban press
    5kg x 5/hand
    this is a rotator cuff exercise, and it showed that the issues I've been having with my right shoulder are probably rotator cuff related, as I had no problem with the left hand, but struggled with the right hand.

jump rope
    20 sec on, 1:30 off, 3 rounds
    bonus cardio

Page 2 of 178 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast