starting strength gym
Page 60 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Gainslove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the carb

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    W47 D5

Food: 2073 cals yesterday (lots of protein)
    Sleep: not bad - 7 hours, broken once
    Neck: got the massage yesterday - felt slightly better, but I'm now covered in bruises. Who would have thought such a tiny woman could poke so hard. Feeling about 50% today so thought I'd do some light work to keep loose

Pulls
    60kg x 3
    nope, not happening. these were jacking up the traps and neck to a point of "not good" pain. Canned it altogether

Squats
    100 x 5 x 3 paused
    120 x 5
    140 x 2/1
    so I decided to try bringing my stance in a bit and today was a good opportunity to practice since I wasn't going heavy. The paused squats were to get used to the positions. The 120 set felt really good, and the squats were quite deep. Just got to keep an eye on knee slide. Wanted to try a couple of singles at 140, and these were OK too. Hopefully if my neck is better by next squat ID I will try it out at heavier weights.

ETA video

HIIT - bike
    7 rounds 40:20 split
    Last edited by Simon Rest; 12-03-2015 at 11:07 PM.

W48 D1

big hectic weekend - 15 8yos for a party saturday night, then christmas running around yesterday
    Food: averaged 2100 for the week. hoping for cake gainz
    sleep: had about 5.5 hours last night.

Bench
    103.5 x 5
    96 x 5 x 2
    felt OK. last set was a bit sloppy.

Press
    65 x 5 x 5
    first set I only barely made it, but pulled it together to get all the reps. few grinders in there

EZ bar curl
    30 x 10
    35 x 10
    40 x 5
    35 x 8

ropes
    7 rounds 40:20 split

my gym is doing a powerlifting training day this saturday, with the coach of the PA national team and a few team members. it's free, and will be mostly observation and offering tips. Considering going but not sure yet. I know they teach a non SS style for the lifts, but on the other hand no knowledge is wasted, right? As long as I can analyse it critically there may be some helpful stuff.

W48 D2

Food: 2050 yesterday
    Sleep: 7.5 hours. woke up more tired than I did yesterday after less sleep
    Neck: slept on it badly (for like the 5th night in a row) and it's stiff again

Squat
    162.5 x 5
    150 x 4
    sigh. still not happy with these. Only getting to depth when I let myself drop into the hole (good bounce tho). Tried to keep my heels a bit closer and knees further out, but it only worked during warmups - at work set weights I wasn't finding the right positions. Did the 150kg back off set to try and work it out at heavyish weights, but still not happy with it. Jan 18 can't come soon enough

Snatch

40 x 2/1 (an extra cause I wasn't happy with the first set)
    50 x 2 x 2
    60 x 2
    they got better, but 60 is still about my limit

SGDL
    120 x 5 x 3
    OK, nothing to see here

Music: the only other guy in the gym when I got there was playing his Drake playlist. Is every song about him imposing his ideas on how his woman should behave? I dont go around calling myself a feminist but by the third song I was thinking "pull your head in, mate, if she wants to go out without you she can"

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    15 8yos for a party saturday night
    You've lost your marbles, man...

hoping for cake gainz
    Mmm... Dem cake gainzzz

my gym is doing a powerlifting training day this saturday, with the coach of the PA national team and a few team members. it's free, and will be mostly observation and offering tips. Considering going but not sure yet. I know they teach a non SS style for the lifts, but on the other hand no knowledge is wasted, right? As long as I can analyse it critically there may be some helpful stuff.
    Definitely go to this. Hell, film it and put it on the YouTubezZz. Never know when you might find some insight that just required someone saying something you've already heard, but in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Mmm... Dem cake gainzzz
    wife makes goooood cake too

W48 D3

food: 1850
    sleep: 7 hours

light Mobility stuff - squatting less, although it still feels like a max effort, is not giving me the same level of DOMS

Pull ups
    did 3/2 dead hang, but figured I'd be better off getting a heap more volume so did 7min AMRAP assisted (L2):
    5/5/5/5/4/2 total 26

face pulls
    43kg x 12 x 3

HIIT
    C2, 8 rounds, 40:20 split

Gym story

Bloke I've never seen before cones into the gym. He gets the Deadlift Jack out, places the bar, and wheels over a 25kg plate. Stands there looking at it (still with 1plate loaded) and goes to the power rack. Sets the pins to bench height, unloads his solitary 25 kg plate and wheels it to the rack. Loads the bar with 25kg per side, then the 1kg collars, then the light clamp collars over the comp collars. He then looks at the bar, strips it down to nothing, and does 2 warm up reps with the empty bar. He loads it back up to 72kg (by using 2 sets of collars) gets 1 shaky arse rep, drops the second rep on the safeties. To his credit he never gave up and kept grinding out sets of 3 and 4, always to failure. I wouldn't have mentioned it except for the 2 sets of collars. It's not like the gym doesn't have change plates.

W48 D4

Food: 1965 yesterday
    Sleep: 7 hours

Press
    71 x 5
    66 x 5 x 2
    not bad. rep 5 was a grinder. Need to lay back a bit more at the start - I'm pressing too far in front of me to miss my face and making it harder

Bench
    95 x 5 x 5
    hooray! I finally hit this weight for VD! It's only taken 3 prior failed attempts.

that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Gym story...Bloke...
    Did he look like this?

starting strength coach development program
    I'm trying to work out the joke and I can't. Does bloke mean something different in the states?