• starting strength seminar october 2024
    W11 D4

Food: 2450 yesterday
    Fatigue: feeling tired. sleeping OK, not great. No soreness of note

Squat (1@8, 3@9 x 2 sets)
    195 x 1
    185 x 3
    180 x 3
    maybe overshot the top single and first set a little. 180 x 3 felt solidly a 9 - the 185 was closer to a 10, though not grindy.

Press (1 warm up, 1@8, 1@9, 12% drop for 12 reps)
    80 x 1
    85 x 1
    87.5 x 1 - PR*
    71 x 3 x 4
    there's an asterix because I don't know it should count. bar never comes down, but it goes up unevenly. What are the SS meet rules?

Video:

It might not have passed in the SS Comp (Jordan mentioned the press Leah trolled him on was uneven), but that doesn't take away from the fact you pressed 87.5. 85 looked super solid. Also, congrats on the DL PR, that looked solid as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    there's an asterix because I don't know it should count. bar never comes down, but it goes up unevenly. What are the SS meet rules?
    http://startingstrength.com/contentf...gthlifting.pdf

The bar has to be locked out evenly. Kind of a dumb rule. Even the IPF allows uneven lockout, right?

Congrats on the PR.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    http://startingstrength.com/contentf...gthlifting.pdf

The bar has to be locked out evenly. Kind of a dumb rule. Even the IPF allows uneven lockout, right?

Congrats on the PR.
    Cheers, I thought that was a rule. Doesn't really matter, it's an uncontested lift (for me)

W11 D5

Food: 2400
    fatigue: slept well, still feeling tired. Slightly sore lower back and wrists

Deadlift (1@8, 3@9 x 2 sets)
    215 x 1
    200 x 3 x 2
    slightly down from earlier in the week due to fatigue but I think I got the RPE right

TnG bench (1@8, 3@9 x 2 sets)
    122.5 x 1
    115 x 3
    110 x 3
    TnG is now weird - it feels heavy to unrack but then it moves OK.
    Last rep at 115 was way off bar path so I dropped the weight to focus on nice clean reps

Video:

That's it - the program is over. Normally next week would be a testing week (1@8, 1@9, 1@10 on each lift, one lift per day). Due to comp next sunday Jordan advised to work up to openers 5 days out, then work up to last warm ups 3 days out so that's what I'll do next week.

Weekly wrap:

Squat tonnage: 3957kg over 22 reps
    bench tonnage: 2485kg over 22 reps
    deadlift tonnage: 4377.5kg over 22 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Wait, are you doing an SBD comp or a "Strengthlifting" comp?

Congrats on the 227, with a peak hopefully you can translate that into a big comp PR!
    No it's an SBD comp. There are no strengthlifting comps down here. Not until I can convince campitelli to move to Sydney, or let me run a comp

W12 Taper

Food: averaging 2450 a day
    Fatigue: hahaha, of course this week I catch a cold. Have had bad congestion and hayfever type symptoms since Sunday. Consequently also sleeping like shit because I can't breath.

Plan for today is to hit openers on each lift and nothing more

squat: 190 x 1
    Not bad, but not super easy. This single had 2 form correctiong: firstly I narrowed my stance slightly - I've noticed some knee vulgus and I find it easier to control with narrower stance; and secondly I had to widen my grip to ensure thumbs contact the bar. I got pulled up for this at the last comp, but not the one before it, so I'm not sure they'll call it on the day. I find it harder to keep my upper back tight and the bar stable with my thumbs on the bar, because my grip has to widen to make contact. Damn IPF....

Bench: 120 x 1
    This was no problem, even though I missed the contact point on my sternum and landed mid chest. I think the pause is OK too

Deadlift: 220 x 1
    Probably the hardest lift of today, was hoping this owuld be quicker off the floor. Maybe I didn't get my knees out far enough and push through enough. Possibly set up too far from the bar too, looknig at the video

Also I tried my new ammonia caps today. i bought caps so I can use them on the platform and just tuck the remnant into my suit. Fuck, they are much stronger than the bottle I was using. Hoooweee

Video (shot from the side judges angle):

W12 Taper

Food: ate through 2750cal yesterday.
    Fatigue: body feels good, headcold remains. Weening off cold and flu meds because they aren't allowed in comp.

Plan was to work up to last warm ups

squat: 180kg
    no problems but felt a little slow.

Bench: 110kg
    felt nice and easy

Deadlift: 200kg
    went up no dramas

Video:

now I just rest and eat

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    Fatigue: body feels good, headcold remains. Weening off cold and flu meds because they aren't allowed in comp.
    Bruh, you can still take phenylephrine products. It's only on the WADA monitoring list, not the banned list. I know this because I was ramming myself full of it at a past competition and had to check.

Your lifts have been blowing up recently. Have a great competition.

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Bruh, you can still take phenylephrine products. It's only on the WADA monitoring list, not the banned list. I know this because I was ramming myself full of it at a past competition and had to check.

Your lifts have been blowing up recently. Have a great competition.
    Yeah, but they don't actually help, Psuedoephidrene is where it's at.
    At least antihistamines are ok.

Cheers mate

starting strength coach development program
    Meat wrap!

Head cold has got progressively better, but I took an antihistamine anyway. I figured it couldn't hurt. I did have some stomach issues - felt queasy, riding to the bathroom often etc. Anywho...

Got the early, got my track heights. Drank some coffee, chatted to some people. I was last to weigh in, but not cutting so was ok. Equipment check was no drama. Set my openers at 190/120/220

Squat
    190 got 2 whites. Surprised I didn't get called for depth -looks shallow
    200 got 2 whites as well. Meet director said only do 205, I wanted 210, we settled on 207.5
    207.5 got 3 whites. A 2.5kg PR, a 17.5kg meet PR

Still feeling sick so only ate a banana and some jelly snakes

Bench
    120 got 3 whites
    125 was wonky - right shoulder didn't cooperate. Got 2 whites so all good
    127.5 I missed the jump on the call and felt my bum fly off the bench. No lift. Also, they skipped me on third lifts so I had to take it after everyone else

Deadlift
    I was fucking exhausted by this stage
    220 got 2 reds. They reckon I didn't lock it out.
    220 second attempt got 3 whites
    227.5 I set up and a callus started to rip. Reset and it did it again, didn't follow through with the lift.

Came 1st on the SHW out of 2.

Videos later, going to the rugby now