Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I M Groot's Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    2/19/2015 Thursday

Squat, intensity, 285x5
    DL, 305x5

Squats went really well; felt like multiple sets were possible. DL, not so much; felt hard, not "this isn't happening" hard, just hard as I was pretty spent afterward. Been mixing in some sumo DL during w/up up to the second set prior to work set, but I was feeling it more in the back last night, so not so much sumo in order to conserve for my work set. Really nice to be back up over 300 for something. Hopefully, another three weeks will see squats crossing that threshold. Other than chins 4x4, PDO tomorrow.

Default I M Groot's Training

Great progress, Tim! Nice pull!

Thank you, I appreciate the good words. PDO felt good today; looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

2/22/2015 Sunday

Bench, volume, 160x5x5
    BB curl, 70x10x2
    Lying tricep extension, 30x10x2
    Chins, 3x5

Bench felt really good today. Decent acceleration with both arms, as I focused on keeping the wrists straight. Still fighting to keep the shoulders tight a bit, but it's getting better. Assistance work: could probably have 10-15 pounds more on each but I'll let that progress naturally in hopes that what I am doing, at least, still provides some help to the bench press. Volume squat and BB rows tomorrow.

2/23/2015 Monday

Squat, volume, 260x5x5
    BB rows, 95x10x3

PDO tomorrow.

Nice volume, Tim. You're set up for another good intensity day!

2/25/2015 Wednesday

Bench, intensity, 180x5
    OHP, 115x5x3
    Chins + 5, 2x4

Back to familiar territory with the bench press. After feeling just fine with volume lifts on Sunday, yesterday the last two reps @ 180 were slow and really slow. I never felt like I wasn't going to finish the lift, but the bar just didn't accelerate like I was hoping. Regardless, I got the reps and will move on to 185 next week. I'm hoping to keep reps of five going until at least 200 - gotta stay positive. Just doesn't seem like it should be this slow this soon. OHP went great, no issues there. I scaled back the weighted chins a bit as I've noticed some soreness on the inner and lower part of my left elbow, which I suspect is a slight bit of tendonitis. I only have a straight chin bar, so I think I'll try to make some neutral grip handles to put on the bar this weekend.

2/26/2015 Thursday

Squat, intensity, 290x5
    DL, 315x5

TGIF! I'm frickin' tired this morning. Squats went well again; needed a bit more of a pause before the last rep as I didn't take a deep enough breath, got a bit too loose on the descent, and slowed a bit on the ascent. Wasn't worried about getting the rep, just would have liked it a bit more together. Eh, the work is done and movin' on next week.

DL went pretty well, though my piss poor conditioning was showing between reps. Need to regulate my breathing a little better. Otherwise, the strength was there. Added video to Technique site to get some feedback. Did no-belt through w/ups and double OH grip for all reps. Trying to keep that going as long as I can. Judicious use of chalk helps a lot, that and the garage is cool enough that sweaty hands isn't too much of an issue yet. The Houston summer is coming though.

http://youtu.be/E_fXPsHn0TI

Time to see if I can find a place at work to curl up for a few naps today. I rarely drink coffee, but I think this is one of those days. PDO today and tomorrow, other than 3x5 chins tonight.
    Last edited by Tim Lofton; 02-27-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added DL video.

Nice benching, Tim! My bench has always been a struggle and a slow lift to develop. I just try to keep reminding myself I'm in this for the long haul and that I can keep at it over time.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. I try to remind myself as well, that when I was doing endurance stuff, that none of this was possible. I just really would like to get to that 200 bench, then I'm willing to be more patient.

Actually, I'm quite patient; it just doesn't feel like it at times. I'm not ready to start tinkering with things like back off sets, but may have to consider running ID bench out through triples and singles, then start up again. At any rate, I shouldn't complain. Health is good, injury free at this time (scrambling to find wood to knock on), and progress is happening.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast