starting strength gym
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I M Groot's Training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    3/16/2015 Monday

Squat, volume, 275x5x5

That is all; nothing more. Goal was to get in and get out with just the main lift. Legs were kind of jelly by the last set or two, and they really shouldn't be. Feeling too much all-over fatigue and residual soreness, so opted to forego rows tonight in hopes of getting a little better recovery. Part of this may be diet as well, so I need to examine that side of the house. Just trying to grind out this cycle until the last week of the month when robotics competitions will force a bit of an off week. PDO on Tuesday; maybe an easy bike ride for a bit of active recovery.

3/18/2015 Wednesday

Bench, intensity, 195x3x2
    OHP, 125x5x3
    Chins + 5 lb, 4/4

A bit rushed to get this one in getting home later due to an accident involving a battery truck and batteries all over the roadway. Bench went okay, slow, but okay. The second set was actually better than the first and left me feeling a bit better about next week and, hopefully, breaking 200 for the first time. Left elbow is still barking at me a bit, so I need to keep on top of that. Some ice and Aleve for now.

Press went well, though I had a bit of excessive layback on the second set due to failing to keep my glutes tight, and felt it just a bit in my low back. However, the third set went just fine.

Chins, well, not what I was looking for but was rushing a bit at that point to get in and finish dinner prep before wife and daughter returned home from swim practice. I don't think I allowed enough rest between last set of OHP and hitting the chin-up bar, but I got in a few reps at least. Overall, it was a good session; heavy squat and DL Thursday.

3/19/2015 Thursday

Squat, intensity, 305x3x2
    Sumo DL, 295x3x2

Going triples as I realized I have most likely been overworking volume day by increasing it every week. I will adjust volume day weights accordingly and run the reps out on ID weights for now. I don't know why I didn't pick up on the very apparent signs of overtraining, but I did a lot of good reading yesterday because of it - much of it from these forums. PDO today and tomorrow, with the exception of some conditioning tomorrow. Given the forecast, the track is not likely, so probably jump rope.

3/21/2015 Saturday

1600 m w/up jog (very easy pace) with 3 x 30 m accelerations in the last 400
    2 min rest
    6 x (100 m run @ 85%, alternate 10 push-ups or 10 mountain climbers, 100 m walk)
    800 m w/dn walk

It was all in the rain, but at least it was cooler out compared to the past few days.

3/22/2015 Sunday

Bench, volume, 160x5x5
    LTE, 55x12x3
    Chinsx6x3

Backed off the weight for volume day after some reading last week, and took it down to 85% of my last 5-rep ID bench, which was 185. So I will hold this weight for a while and focus on moving it a bit more quickly until it's time to bring it up. I'll continue to run out the reps through triples and singles for ID. Happy to get six across on chins. Overall, body feels better as the lingering soreness and the constant feeling of fatigue is passing. Feels good to be doing something right.

3/23/2015 Monday

Squat, volume, 255x5x5
    BB rows, 115x8x3

Scaled back volume squats appropriately; will run out reps on ID squats. This week should be 310x3x2. Bump rows up to 125 next week. A little pinch in the back as I hyperextended a bit on the third set. Will work the area with foam roller a bit tonight.

3/26/2015 Thursday

Bench, intensity, 200x3, 200x2, 175x5, 135x7 (cgbp)
    OHP, 130x1, 115x5x2

Tonight, as a planned session, kind of sucked. I missed getting 2x3 on my bench reps, though I did get the target weight for five total reps. Next week will go to 205 for singles; almost done running these out before the reset. I was hoping to get to 210-215 before the reset, but it's not looking like it will happen at this pace. On the other hand, this is the first time I've ever benched 200, so a minor PR, which takes a little bit of the suckiness out of things. A two plate lift still feels a long way away though.

By the time I got to press, my shoulders were not real happy, and I think that combined with just not eating well yesterday and today, saw my energy flagging on OHP. I did get one clean rep at 130, so that is also a PR for me. Even backing down to 115 felt a bit heavier than it should, which is why I just did 2x5 and called it an evening. Skipped out on weighted chins, as I felt there was not much left in the tank for tonight. It's been a weird week as the robotics team I mentor is preparing for competition next week. A lot going on the next 10 days or so. I'm off by a day due to team meetings, so tomorrow or Saturday will be heavy squats and deadlift.

Huzzah for minor PR's

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Huzzah for minor PR's
    Indeed.

starting strength coach development program
    3/27/2015 Friday

Squat, intensity, 310x3x2, 280x5

No time for DL tonight, but this was the main thing to accomplish. Felt good overall; pretty sure there was another set at 310 in me, but opted for the 10% back-off set. Deadlift some time tomorrow, in between officiating a.m. session at a swim meet and some yard work.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast