Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Training Log of Mediocrity

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Intensity Day

SQ: 295x3, 275x5
    SP: 160x4, 150x5
    BP: 225x2, 205x5

Knew I had a busy next couple of days, so I snuck home from work to knock out ID during the day. Man, what a crappy day. Could barely move the 295 on my squat, and the deloaded set at 275 were some of the ugliest squats I've ever done.

Press was at least decent in that I got 160 up, but couldn't get the fifth rep off my shoulders. Doing it seated may be partly to blame. Definitely a weird feeling.

Bench was equally disappointing. Couldn't hack 225, so went down to 205 and still struggled.

The only redeeming point is that even though I couldn't pull 5 reps, both bench and press are PR weights.

I'm going to chalk it up to really poor nutrition. I've cut out a lot of carbs since let week. Not counting macros, but I know I've avoided a lot of stuff that I'd normally eat. I ate two Chik Fil A sandwiches for lunch, figuring that'd give me plenty of carbs and protein for the workout this afternoon, but it obviously didn't cut it.

Maybe I should have listened to SPP and his advice to go gradually. Oh well, I always have volume day to look forward to in a couple days

I know the struggle of trying to get adequate macros in only too well. For me, my struggle is getting adequate dietary fat in.

Chik Fil A (even though we Brits don't have it) doesn't sound amazingly bad in terms of food quality, it was probably an adequate protein source, but won't really cut it for satiety, and that's a prime factor in adhering to calorie restriction. If actually counting macros seems like a circle of hell to you, maybe you might consider looking at eating a mostly-Paleo diet?

Paleo is pretty cultish and stupid, but the basic principles are sound, eating single ingredient high satiety foods, lots of meat and vegetables, protein with every meal, etc.

Lunch probably netted me 70g of protein and 80g of carbs. But on the whole for the day (including breakfast), I've probably only consumed 140g of protein, 100g of carbs and maybe 1,500 calories. Lunch was definitely a shot in the arm, but probably not enough to make up for a few days of low carbs and calories.

Already trying to vaguely eat paleo, but I'm by no means cultish (lol, or even very good at adhearing to it) about it. Counting becomes difficult for me because I work on the road, so lunch is where and when I can manage it. We've got some crazy stuff going on at home with a kid in the hospital and 3 others at home, so dinners tend to be whatever gets thrown together, so they're tough to plan and count.

Excuses, excuses, excuses! I guess I need to just suck it up and work harder on nutrition and accept a more gradual weight loss schedule.

Well I broke down and ordered a food scale. Not sure how strict I'll be with using it, but it's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jstrain View Post
    Well I broke down and ordered a food scale. Not sure how strict I'll be with using it, but it's a step in the right direction.
    You'll be posting your my fitness pal diary in no time!

Good luck and keep lifting (another former obese guy following)

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    You'll be posting your my fitness pal diary in no time!

Good luck and keep lifting (another former obese guy following)
    We're all former obese guys here, even the guys who've never been obese.

starting strength coach development program
    Read the article on Mike Webster on the SS Homepage.Meat and Potatoes,no fancy scales or counting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12