starting strength gym
Page 56 of 96 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Bergstedt's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There is the usual autumn sicknesses going around in Scandinavia, I think. It's the new big thing! Every one's got it!

Good job going to the gym and getting the work done!

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    There is the usual autumn sicknesses going around in Scandinavia, I think. It's the new big thing! Every one's got it!

Good job going to the gym and getting the work done!
    Haha, I agree. More people flock to this bug than to the new iPhones! I feel very hip.

Thank you! Today I also feel a bit better (still a blocked nose but no headache), so tonight's Light Day will hopefully run a bit smoother than Monday's VD did.

Thumbs up Preliminary comp plan

The starting lists for the district championships were published last night, and I'm in the first flight of the whole thing. My weigh-in is at 16:00 and my flight starts lifting 17:30 on Friday night, 11 November. Anna's weigh-in is 8:00 and her flight starts at 10:00 on the Saturday, 12 November.

I will have to take the day off from work to get there in time (it's a couple of hours drive from were we live), but I think that's a good thing, since it gives me the whole day to prepare and focus without stress.

Three weeks to go!

I'm going to start feeling out heavier singles this ID, so I'm thinking about doing 1-2 singles and then doing my last 5RM weights this ID, and then doing 1-2 singles before doing two triples for the coming two IDs.

I'm thinking a good (though quite aggressive) plan should be something along the lines of:

- ID 1:
    Squats: 180 or 185 kg*1, 170 kg*5 (with the large SBD sleeves)
    Bench press: 105 kg*1, 100 kg*3*2
    Deadlifts: 180 or 185 kg*1, 170 kg*5

- ID 2:
    Squats: 185 or 190 kg*1, 175 kg*3*2 (with the medium SBD sleeves)
    Bench press: 107,5 kg*1, 102,5 kg*3*2
    Deadlifts: 185 or 190 kg*1, 175 kg*3*2

- ID 3 (6-7 seven days before the comp):
    Squats: 190 or 195 kg*1, 180 kg*3 (if I get the triple this should put me somewhere around 200 kg for an e1RM)
    Bench press: 110 kg*1, 105*3
    Deadlifts: 190 or 195 kg*1, 180 kg*3

This feels like a HUGE undertaking right now, since this means that I'll PR my bench both next week and the week after that, as well as potentially PRing the squat and deadlift the week before the competition. But since I've felt really good about the squat and bench these past couple of weeks it doesn't feel too far off to have an aggressive plan like this, especially not for the squats since I have a pair of smaller sleeves to use for the heaviest lifts, that I'll start using next week to get used to them again, since my pair in L feels quite a lot bigger than the pair in M.

Hopefully this cold that I have right now doesn't disrupt my progress too much! I am also still around 88,5-89 kg bw, so I have the possibility to up the food intake quite a bit to facilitate a bit of extra energy during these last couple of weeks.

The next couple of weeks will show me if this is just wishful thinking or if I'll make it!

Default Light Day #5

Squats: 120 kg*5*2

OHP: 55 kg*5*5 (@9 on the last set. They felt better and better for each set.)

Chins: +15 kg*5*3 (@9,5 on the last set.)

Incline DB presses: 21 kg*9*3 (Slow eccentric with a nice and deep stretch.)

Ab wheel: 3*7

Default Intensity Day #5

Squats: 180 kg*1, 170 kg*5 (@9 on both the single and the set of five. New 5RM PR! The last warmup single at 165 kg felt way too heavy and the single at 180 kg felt a little bit better but still slower than I'd liked. The five at 170 kg moved a lot better than I thought it would, though, considering the singles at 165 and 180 kg, so it seems to be more a thing of not being used to 1-rep weights yet.)

Bench press: 105 kg*1, 100 kg*3*2 (@9,5 on the single and @10 on the triples. Very heavy, but still a tied PR for the top single and the first time every repping on 100 kg.)

Deadlifts: 180 kg*1, 170 kg*5 (The top single felt pretty good and solid. I was impressed myself that I finished the five at 170 kg since I was so tired by this time. My all time 5RM is 172,5 kg from November last year, so I'm closing in.)

Great work! Congrats on the PRs!

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Great work! Congrats on the PRs!
    Thank you, thank you.

Default Volume Day #6

Squats: 155 kg*5*5 (@8,5 on the last set. It was very heavy but still moved quite well on the last set, so I had at least one, and could maybe have eked out two more reps.)

Bench press: 92,5 kg*5*5 (@9 on the last set. All done TnG. I was supposed to do eight triples, but felt strong on the first set so I went for fives instead, and made it without too much trouble.)

SGDLs: 122,5 kg*8*2 (It felt a lot better than anticipated. I rested about 3 minutes between the two eights.)

Default Light Day #6

I had to do VD on Tuesday and LD yesterday, Wednesday, and also managed to get a sports massage a couple of hours before the LD yesterday. This morning I felt like I had been hit by a truck when I tried to roll out of bed, but have gotten rid of the worst soreness/stiffness now, a couple of hours later. I don't know how smart it was to do VD the night before a pretty rough sports massage and then do another workout, albeit with lighter squats, the same day as the massage. The two fives at 100 kg in the squats felt really, really heavy, but the OHPs and chins felt pretty good.

Squats: 100 kg*5*2 (I did these lighter because of the massage I had a couple of hours before the workout.)

OHP: 56 kg*5*5 (@8,5 on the last set. I've started 2.0-ing the first and fourth rep on each set, and then do a "strict" press with rebound on reps 2, 3 and 5. It feels like its progressing nicely and after the massage I could lock out and really shrug my left shoulder and scapula, which I apparently had not been able to do as well before.)

Chins: +16 kg*5*3 (@9 on the last set.)

Incline DB presses: 21 kg*10*3 (Slow descent with a deep stretch and then as explosive ascent as possible.)

Ab wheel: 2*8

Default Intensity Day #6

starting strength coach development program
    Our ID was delayed with two days because our weekend got started in all the wrong way when Anna came home to a home with blood spatter on the walls and blood smeared on the floors in several rooms, which was the result of one of our cats almost getting its tail severed because of a faulty climbing structure that fell over him sometime during the day. We therefore couldn't workout until Sunday night, instead of Friday night. He is alright now, even if he has a somewhat shorter tail.

But our workout yesterday felt really good!

Squats: last warm-up was a 170 kg*1, and I then walked out 200 kg and 220 kg just to feel out the weight, before 185 kg*1 (@9,5), 190 kg*1 (@10), 180 kg*2 (@9,5. If done fresh definitely @9.) (190 kg is a tied PR and I felt like I maybe had 195 in the tank, but will save that for next week.)

190 kg*1:

180 kg*2:

Bench press: 100 kg*1, 107,5 kg*1 (2,5 kg PR!), 110 kg*1 (5 kg PR!), 100 kg*2 (All reps paused, and it even felt like I had maybe another kg or two left in me on the 110 kg rep, but I decided to save something for next week and the comp, so I stopped it there.)

Deadlift: 190 kg*1, 180 kg*2, 1 (190 kg is a tied PR and it felt a lot easier than in April when I hit 190 for the first time. The double and single at 180 was just to feel at some more heavy weights.)

Page 56 of 96 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast