starting strength gym
Page 81 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Bergstedt's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday's workout felt better than anticipated, which is good news.

Tempo squats 030: 120 kg*3*3 (Belt and sleeves. 3 sec pause at the bottom and a rather slow descent together with fewer reps gave me more control over the movement and allowed me to really focus on keeping a neutral spine. The back didn't really bother me at all, even if it made it pretty clear that I should not attempt any heavier weights. I will probably do lighter pause work this week and see how it feels next week. If I am lucky, Saturday's debacle was only muscle related.)

OHP: 50 kg*3*5 (Went for lighter weight and triples to save the back.)

Chins: 35 reps (7 minute density set.)

Tempo squats 030: 125 kg*3*3 (Belt and sleeves. Continues to feel pretty good. Back feels ... "wobbly" or "insecure", but no pain.)

Bench press: 85 kg*5*3, 80 kg*6*2 (Narrower grip with littler fingers on the ring.)

Deadlifts: 130 kg*3*3 (Felt surprisingly good. Though it is quite light weight - or at least should be...)

I have that "insecure back" sometimes too, but never during lifting.

But sometimes after a long day at work or maybe after a long pressing session.

Doing those tempo squats is probably a good idea, so you can work on keeping your spine tight.

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    I have that "insecure back" sometimes too, but never during lifting.

But sometimes after a long day at work or maybe after a long pressing session.

Doing those tempo squats is probably a good idea, so you can work on keeping your spine tight.
    Ok. Do you find that you need to be extra careful during lifting, then, or is everything fine?

Exactly my thought!

Squats: 120 kg*1, 130 kg*1, 140 kg*1 (@very easy.)

Bench press: 95 kg*1, 100 kg*1, 105 kg*X (Still happy with 100 kg.)

Deadlifts: 130 kg*1, 145 kg*1, 170 kg*1 (@8,5. This felt surprisingly good.)

Last Saturday we had a club meet. I both judged and competed, which was a lot of fun. I was quite conservative in all my weights and the back felt good throughout the meet and after, so I am very pleased.

I have also downloaded Feigenbaum's and Baraki's The Bridge, which I will begin in 5 weeks, after having completed a small LP. Then I have 8 weeks of The Bridge before Regionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    Ok. Do you find that you need to be extra careful during lifting, then, or is everything fine?

Exactly my thought!
    No, I just lift like normal. I used to have a lot of back pain two and a half years ago before I started lifting ( in fact that was probably the main reason I started lifting ), but I seldom have problems with back pain now.
    Except when my back decides to go into "back pain mode" for no apparent reason at all, of course. That usually lasts for about tow to three weeks, but I can usually lift through it with not too much problems. And then it clears up again for no reason at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    Squats: 120 kg*1, 130 kg*1, 140 kg*1 (@very easy.)

Bench press: 95 kg*1, 100 kg*1, 105 kg*X (Still happy with 100 kg.)

Deadlifts: 130 kg*1, 145 kg*1, 170 kg*1 (@8,5. This felt surprisingly good.)

Last Saturday we had a club meet. I both judged and competed, which was a lot of fun. I was quite conservative in all my weights and the back felt good throughout the meet and after, so I am very pleased.
    Sounds like good news!

I have also downloaded Feigenbaum's and Baraki's The Bridge, which I will begin in 5 weeks, after having completed a small LP. Then I have 8 weeks of The Bridge before Regionals.

I've read that a couple of times too. Not going to follow it, but out of curiosity. It will be interesting to see how you like it!

Squats: 130 kg*5*3 (@7,5 on the last set. But damnit it has become hard to keep the knees out and stay tight in the bottom. I am also very unconditioned. Everything should get sorted from more practice, but it is difficult to squat with good form for the first time in a long time.)

OHP: 53,5 kg*5*3 (@10 on all sets.)

Deadlifts: 140 kg*5 (@8,5. First 3 reps felt really good and then pretty grindy.)

RDL: 100 kg*7*2 (Belt but no straps. Felt good. Technique was solid and I was flexible enough to touch and floor with the weights before going back up without any rounding of the back.)

Yesterday was a pretty crappy workout. I don't quite know why, since I felt good coming into the workout and light squats felt alright, but bench was bad and chins was really bad.

Squats: 110 kg*5*5 (Lighter squats for technique work and some volume. Focus on knees out and hip drive.)

Bench press: 85 kg*5, 4 (tried 5 but failed), 80 kg*5 (No bueno. Today my right shoulder also hurts when doing anything besides letting my arm hang straight down.)

Chins: 30 reps total (7 minute density set. Everything felt meh and bleh.)

After this I had a lot of pasta bolognese and watched Game of Thrones. That was by far the best part of the night.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday's workout was split in two (morning and afternoon), which felt really good! Too bad it is not an option I am willing to make work during weekdays.

Squats: 135 kg*5*3 (Last two reps on last set felt best. Those were the first reps probably all summer that I got back my hips and shoved my knees out properly, for a nice and solid rebound.)

Sitting shoulder press-machine: 10 kg per hand*10*5 (My shoulder hurt pretty damn bad since benching last week, so I decided to do some rehabbing instead of pushing through with OHP.)

Reversed hypers: bw*20*4

---------------

Deadlifts: 160 kg*1 @8, 145 kg*5 @9

SGRDL: 105 kg*6, 7 (I did the first set without straps and lost the bar after the sixth rep.)

Page 81 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast