starting strength gym
Page 84 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Bergstedt's Intermediate Log

Default The Bridge - W1S1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday I started Feigenbaum's and Baraki's The Bridge program. It starts with an easy week, so yesterday wasn't anything too bad. I do feel a bit sore today, though, which is nice.

Squats: 130 kg*5 @6, 137,5 kg*5 @7, 145 kg*5 @8 (I think I was pretty spot on target RPEs. I rested about 3-4 minutes between sets. @6 was pretty hard to estimate, though, but I did the 5 reps on one breath and then paused the last rep for 2 seconds, so it should be right about @6!)

CGBP: 77,5 kg*4 @7, 82,5 kg*4 @8, 85 kg*4 @9,5 (3 minutes rest. I might have over-shot the last set by @0,5, but I am not sure. CGBP is, like OHP, one of those instant-stoppers for me. Everything feels good until all of the sudden all juice is out and the bar just won't move. The last rep was very heavy, but I may have had another rep in me, even if it was not entirely clear.)

Rack pulls @5 cm: 120 kg*7 @6, 130 kg*7 @7, 140 kg*7 @8 (This was probably the hardest (both to do and to gauge RPE), since 7 reps is a lot of reps. It felt like GPP!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    Yesterday I started Feigenbaum's and Baraki's The Bridge program.
    Interested to follow this thread and see how this goes! I switched to their programming sort of recently, and I'm interested to see if you have any of the same challenges/experiences.

Dialing in RPE and figuring out working sets has definitely been a struggle for me so far.

Yeah, it will be interesting to follow and see how things go on the Bridge program, Levi.

Quote Originally Posted by brettj View Post
    Interested to follow this thread and see how this goes! I switched to their programming sort of recently, and I'm interested to see if you have any of the same challenges/experiences.

Dialing in RPE and figuring out working sets has definitely been a struggle for me so far.
    You are more than welcome to follow along for the ride! I have gauged all my sets using RPE after completing them during this past year, but it is going to be very interesting to see how difficult it will prove to be to gauge RPE before the sets and deciding weights with regards to the gauged RPE.

How many weeks have you completed so far? What do you like most about the program?

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Yeah, it will be interesting to follow and see how things go on the Bridge program, Levi.
    Thank you, Jan!

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    How many weeks have you completed so far? What do you like most about the program?
    I did 7 week hypertrophy block, and now on week 4 of strength block. I like seeing my bench finally go up the most after some frustratingly slow progress on TM.

As far as finding working weights, I've found that about 5% drop or increase in weight corresponds pretty well to about 1 RPE for most lifts. So I'll have an idea of what I'm shooting for, and ramp up to it in 5% increments.

Quote Originally Posted by brettj View Post
    I did 7 week hypertrophy block, and now on week 4 of strength block. I like seeing my bench finally go up the most after some frustratingly slow progress on TM.

As far as finding working weights, I've found that about 5% drop or increase in weight corresponds pretty well to about 1 RPE for most lifts. So I'll have an idea of what I'm shooting for, and ramp up to it in 5% increments.
    That sounds good about the bench. I have also had some trouble increasing my bench. However, this seems to be the major issue for most people around this forum, since the SS template, and similar intermediate templates, doesn't seem to provide enough pressing stimulus.

That is good advice, regarding the 5%. Thank you!

Default The Bridge - W1S2

Squats 020: 100 kg*4 @5, 105 kg*4 @5, 110 kg*4 @5, 115 kg*4 @5,5 (damnit...), 120 kg*4 @6, 125 kg*4 @7, 125 kg*4 @8 (For some reason, the RPE managed to stay the same over four sets, despite increasing weights, so I believe that the increased "warm-ups" that the sets at 100-115 kg provided didn't really fatigue me, but instead prepared me for higher weights. I rested about 3 minutes between all sets. No belt and no sleeves. I know that Jordan and Austin recommends not using a belt for the accessories, but since I hurt my back I am very cautious about going beltless. When the weights increase I am therefore probably going to start using the belt.)

OHP w/ belt: 42,5 kg*5 @6, 45 kg*5 @7, 47,5 kg*5 @8,5 (I might have overshot the last set a little, but all sets felt pretty strong. My right shoulder did not bother me at all, and my left shoulder only a little.)

BB rows: 60 kg*8 @6, 65 kg*8 @7, 70 kg*8*2 @8 (I believe that I did some kind of pendlay row, since I set the bar down on the floor between each rep and had a deadlift-similar stance. These were also very difficult to gauge RPE for, since I have never done any kind of BB rows before. But I got pretty tired, so I guess that is always something!)

Default The Bridge - W1S3

LISS: 23 minutes @being able to talk (Felt pretty good. I did the run and GPP this morning, so I started quite slow and easy, and I believe I was pretty much spot on since I never felt like I was too exhausted or out of breath to be able to speak, but I was still a little winded and tired when I got back home.)

7 min density set chins: 38 reps

7 min density set isometric abs: ~6 minutes time under tension

Deadlifts: 5*135 kg @6, 5*145 kg @7, 5*155 kg @8 (Belt. These felt really good! I had good drive off the floor and the back felt nice and tight.)

5*155 kg @8:

1 ct benchpress: 75 kg*5 @6, 80 kg*5 @7, 85 kg*5 @8 (Benchpress felt surprisingly good! A couple of weeks ago 85 kg was really hard for a set of 5 TnG reps, and now I definitely had a little more in the tank, despire the extra long pauses.)

Tempo squats 303: 80 kg*8 @6, 90 kg*8 @7, 100 kg*8 @"8" (No belt or sleeves. These were horrible. The last set felt like @death, but they look too damn fast to be anywhere near @death, or even @8. I will just have to increase the weight a little more aggressively next week.)

8*100 kg @probably no 8:

All in all a very good workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday's workout was weird. Squats felt good. Warm-ups and the first top set CGBP felt good. And then everything went to shit. However, this allowed me to (hopefully) reap the rewards of using RPE, since I otherwise would have ground myself into the ground by hitting the pre-determined numbers.

Squats: 130 kg*5 @5,5, 140 kg*5 @7, 145 kg*5 @8, 145 kg*5 @8,5, 140 kg*5 @6,5

CGBP: 77,5 kg*4 @6, 80 kg*4 @7, 85 kg*4 @8,5, 87,5 kg*4 @9, 87,5 kg*2 @10, 87,5 kg*2 @10 (The last set was a set of 4 reps, but I had to re-rack the bar after 2 reps since I slipped up on the bench and lost all tightness, and then continued the set, but it was too damn hard. I have no idea what happened between the two top sets. Everything up to that point felt really good, though. However, I am still a bit on the fence about how to proceed in CGBP regarding arch and setup; do comp-style setup but with a close grip or do a bodybuilding-style flat setup?)

Rackpulls @5 cm: 125 kg*7 @6, 132,5 kg*7 @7,5, 132, kg*7 @8, 125 kg*7 @8 (I got really tired during these so I decided to stay with 132,5 kg for my first @8 set, which was a good thing.)

Page 84 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast