starting strength gym
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Toe-Squatter

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    7/27 - Bench - 245x1, 205x5x5; CGBP - 160x5x4, 4 | gonna drop 1 squat/dl session this week to let back recover more
    7/28 - DL 375x6. Machine Row 130x8x6, 5 intervals on C2 | DL felt pretty good, back stopped bothering me after warm up. Trying to build some momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    I do a 5 day routine because I have a rack at work and train over my break+lunch. This is easiest way to fit it in. It has been working great until recently.... I'll change if it continues to fail at producing results.
    Ah, more training days at less volume and time per sessions, with divided lifts. I've never really seen too much of a problem with this. I think the 3-day Novice program is geared to get the most out of the gym, with the smallest amount of actual trips to the gym possible (time benefit for us average schmucks). As long as you're not squatting 5 days a week. X-}

I stopped training OHP as I kept getting injured doing so. Same area in my back always bothers me, and OHP just makes it worse. I've toughed it out and made progress for a long time, but the problem just gets consistently worse when I train OHP. Same area in my upper right back just gets unbearable to the point I cant sleep anymore. I've been playing around to see what I can do that similar without issue. Steep incline bench doesn't bother it at all. I'm going to try seated pressing to see if it makes a difference.
    Feels like a big knot just below your traps, and it's aggravated more if you sleep on the side that's injured, am I right? What kind of mattress and pillow arrangement do you have?

How's you're body-weight doing? When mine dropped, I got clobbered everywhere, but bench press took it the hardest.

-Jeremy

Yes, below the traps, near the rhomboid, close to the spine. When it gets bad I have trouble sleeping. Had to make an impromptu neck brace with a towel when it gets terrible. I don't know if it matter too much which side I sleep on though.
    Bodyweight is slowly going up, about to break 250. I've put on some more fat too. I will get rid of it after I hit my goals for this year first.

7/30 - Bench - 210x5x5; Seated DB press 30-45x9. Looking into pressing alternative, just went up the rack since I didnt know when to start.
    Squats - 315x5x3, back still bothering me so cut it short again
    8/1 - 5 intervals on C2, put resistance at 10 and hit a time that didnt seem possible, assume it counted it wrong.
    8/2 - Squat - 315x5x4 , back improving
    Chins + Seated Pulldown

8/3 - Bench 250x1, 215x5x5; Seated DB press 45x8x6

8/4 - Dead 385x6 Saw on video how my back is set so much better when not wearing a belt. I know it's a 'no duh', but still jarring to see.

Seated DB press 45x8x6
    How are you today, after these?

-Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Músculo-Tonto View Post
    How are you today, after these?

-Jeremy
    Chest/Shoulder/Tri feels good, no issue. Trying to find good pressing alternative. Seated DB presses and Incline seem to be good assistance thus far.
    Back is pretty sore. I used Rip's chinning method to fix my elbow tendonitis. Have been trying to adapt it to work on the area of my back that's been bothering me.

8/4 - 5 intervals on C2, lowered the resistance level to 7 from previous week of 10. On my 2nd or 3rd interval I pulled a 1:21.9 which is a huge PR for me. Was able to do 5 intervals on level 7 resistance, with difficulty. I had been using level 5 before. Will increase total intervals and sessions to 3x per week slowly over time. Find these immensely draining mentally. Goal is to hit twice a week for 5 intervals with no misses through the end of the year. Everything else is gravy.

Redundant question?

Have you tried shoulder presses with dumbbells while standing (legs locked, same stance as if you were using the barbell)? The mechanics are a little different -- it's Press 1.0 (no pelvis thrust like Press 2.0), but with DB. You can also lean back a little as you do the exercise.

-Jeremy

starting strength coach development program
    8/6 - Squat 335x5, 300x5x2
    Bench - 250x1, 220x5x5
    CGBP - 165x5x5
    Lat Pulldowns 8x6

Tonto - No, I haven't tried them standing. I may at some point, but until that area of my back is feeling better I'd rather not.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast