starting strength gym
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Toe-Squatter

Thumbs down Toe-Squatter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, my name is Alex, 33 male, 6'4, 245lbs. I had a novice log on here at one point. I stopped updating it, but continued lifting and kept a personal log.

Started with SS 2 years ago, went to HLM, and now TM template. Was a big 300+ jelly ball, dieted down to 220, have slowly reverse dieted up to 250. Will diet down again at some point, but have some more important goals right now.

I went 375/260/475 at my first meet earlier this year.
    Recent PRs:
    355x5 squat
    415x5 dead
    242x5 bench

Went to the SS in WF recently and made a list of some things I need to work on:

a- Stop coming off my heels and onto my toes on the squat/deadlift. This was pointed out to me at the seminar. Working on this now. Having quite a bit of difficulty with this.

b- Being able to control my eccentric portion on bench. Takes me too long to lower the bar when it gets heavy, too much wasted effort here.

Goals before 2016:
    1. Fix big technique errors
    2. 405x5 squat, 275x5 bench, 455x5 dead
    3. Do another meet this year, 1200+ total and 300/400/500+.

6/11
    Squat practice, weight irrelevant.
    Bench practice, weight irrelevant.

6/14
    Squat practice, weight irrelevant. - finally getting somewhere. Had 1 rep today that actually stayed over the middle of the foot. Still working things out, but feel like I'm getting close. Will upload a video next week once I get this dialed in a bit more

6/15 -
    Bench practice - I don't think there is anything I can do about my eccentric speed when the bar is heavy. It's always slow when it's heavy, when I try to force it to go fast I lose control of the bar and bother my shoulder. No ideas left on ways to improve this so done trying for now.
    235x5x5

Thumbs down Why you take my symbol? Don't do that, you fool!

How do you define "losing control" on the bench press?

For me, it means that heavy weights end up tilting the bar to my left (old injury) side on the way down. Needing a slower lowering to the chest to prevent this, is indeed frustrating.

Is your shoulder bothered by the "loss of control"; or is it actually a bothered (injured)-shoulder that causes the control-loss, which then causes pain that is only felt in that specific heavy/fast movement?

-Jeremy
    Last edited by Músculo-Tonto; 06-16-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Going to put more effort and keeping this up to date.

Squats - have been working on bar path issues. It's improved some. I'm still struggling with this. I don't think I've had the bar drift forward past the toes in the past month, so while it's not ideal it's definitely less bad. Had significant strength when I adopted this new technique and have been working my way back up. Have been going up 10lbs each session, 2 sessions a week for 5 sets. Last session 315x5 for 4 sets (dropped 1 set because of slight layoff from 4th holiday).

Here are a few videos of todays session - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-fg...coaeXRbf8LLXPh

Bench - I've recovered up to point where I was before intercostal injury, but haven't been able to break past it. Match last volume PR of 242.5x5x5. Next 3 sessions at 245 have all been a miss, and each session was worse than the last. Makes me suspect maybe not fully recovered, so took a light day today and did 225 for 3x5.

Deadlift - not much to report, have been working on setup lately. Have had a lot of issues with massive upper back rounding when weights get heavy. Trying to identify max weight I can lift with a straight back

Quote Originally Posted by Músculo-Tonto View Post
    How do you define "losing control" on the bench press?

For me, it means that heavy weights end up tilting the bar to my left (old injury) side on the way down. Needing a slower lowering to the chest to prevent this, is indeed frustrating.

Is your shoulder bothered by the "loss of control"; or is it actually a bothered (injured)-shoulder that causes the control-loss, which then causes pain that is only felt in that specific heavy/fast movement?

-Jeremy

Sorry for taking so long to reply back.

I would say it only bothered by the loss of control. The shoulder's are not injured and I have no shoulder pain to speak of. Here is a video of when I did a 1RM of 275, you can see I have quite a bit of difficulty during the eccentric, and if you watch closely you can see I lose it entirely a few inches above my chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jowf...ature=youtu.be

7/12 - Squat 295x5, 295x5, 295x2 stopped because right side of my back is bothering me
    Pull ups 2x5
    7/13 - Bench 250x3, 250x2, 250x2, 225x5 bench is all over the place lately
    Dead - 415 3x1
    7/14 - Squat 225 3x5
    CGBP - 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 185x5 havent dont these much, learning
    7/15 - Dead - 365x5
    Pulldowns + Machine row
    7/16 - Squat 295x5, 315 2x5 had to stop because of back again
    Bench - 235x3, 225x5, 225x4 disaster
    7/18 - C2 Rower, 5 intervals

Bench has gone off the rails unfortunately. Looking into new programming for it. Right side of my back has been bothering me, then got worse after switching to a new pillow. Hopefully it gets better soon.

7/19 - Pulldowns
    Squat 295x5, 315x5, 315x5, 315 x slipped and fell. Been fighting to get off my toes, went full idiot and actually fell backward. Thankfully, because of the rack only my pride was injured. Right side of my back still bothering me, but not any worse than before.

7/20 - Bench - 225x1, 245x1. Following Hanleys advice from other thread.
    Dead - 275x3, 345x1x3 . Light work, just seeing how much I can set my back.

That was a solid push, but I can't really identify any from issues (if there were any), because of the camera angle.
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    . . . Thankfully, because of the rack only my pride was injured.
    As long as the rack wasn't injured.
    ---
    It looks like you went up in weight too quickly for bench. Has Hanley advised a back-off period of sorts? I'm also curious why you are on a 5-day routine (post #6).
    And. . . where is "Two hands Press" in this log?

-Jeremy

starting strength coach development program
    7/21 - 7/23 - Took time off squat/dead because back was not improving when trying to work through it
    7/23 - Bench - 245-1;, 200-8,5,5,5,4; CCBP - 155-5,5,5,5
    7/24 - Off
    7/25 - 5 intervals on C2
    7/26 - Squat: 225-5; 315-5,5; 225-5 Felt back getting worse so cut volume, getting tired of this

I do a 5 day routine because I have a rack at work and train over my break+lunch. This is easiest way to fit it in. It has been working great until recently.... I'll change if it continues to fail at producing results.
    I stopped training OHP as I kept getting injured doing so. Same area in my back always bothers me, and OHP just makes it worse. I've toughed it out and made progress for a long time, but the problem just gets consistently worse when I train OHP. Same area in my upper right back just gets unbearable to the point I cant sleep anymore. I've been playing around to see what I can do that similar without issue. Steep incline bench doesn't bother it at all. I'm going to try seated pressing to see if it makes a difference.

Honestly, I've been in a slump lately. Working my way out.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast