starting strength gym
Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: BigA's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Press (no belt): 197.5 x 0, 172.5 x 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 147.5 x 9, 7
    Weighted Chin-ups: 22.5 x 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, BW Chin-ups: 8

Not that great of a workout but it's to expected after the great upper body workout I had last time. Also, I just realized that I listed the higher reps in the last post as 172.5! That was meant to be 147.5!

HBBS (no belt + no wraps/sleeves): 420 x 5, 390 x 5, 5

The depth from this camera angle looks suspect but it is there. I know you guys know on here but most people don't. I really should specify filming it from hip height. I know the depth is there because I am almost hitting the safeties which is well below parallel for me.

Anyways, I hope the LP continues. I thought about what programming to do next and I think that I am going to extend this LP by doing a top single and doing 3 back off sets for a total a 15 reps. But, that should be a few weeks from now. As you can see, I was able to complete the reps without that much trouble. Only the last rep was a grind but it looked faster than it felt.

Edit: I meant to say that if I hit the safeties, then I am well below parallel. 2 inches or so above is just right.
    Last edited by BigA; 12-17-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Deadlift (no belt + mixed grip): 460 x 5 LS RO

I didn't apply enough chalk because the current block I am using is almost finished so the bar started to slip out of my left hand. I still got the rep though, I really emphasized the lockout to make sure I could count it.

Press (no belt): 197.5 x 0, 172.5 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 147.5 x 7, 7
    Weighted Chin-ups: 72.5 x 0, 62.5 x 0.9, 7.5 x 7, 7

Strength was not there today. I don't know why, maybe from the squat and deadlift LP progress.

HBBS (no belt + no wraps/sleeves): 425 x 5, 395 x 5, 5

Today's set was really hard. I really had to psyche myself up. I wasn't 100% sure that I was going to make it. Maybe like 75% sure.

I think it's time for me to tweak my programming. I have been lifting long enough to know when I have crossed a recovery threshold that necessitates me backing off a little bit. When it happens with the press, it's not a big deal as the press' systemic stress is basically non-existent in comparison to the squat and deadlift and I can train through it. However, when it happens with squats and deadlifts, I feel it very distinctly: complete physical lethargy (my mental state can be just fine, even excellent, as it is now but I can feel a distinct physical fatigue that isn't normal), inability to focus as well during the set, shaky legs and super shaky eccentric phase, and a peculiar "cold" feeling throughout my body in between work sets. When it's really bad, I would liken it somewhat to my consciousness observing the set as separate from my body. The last point is more dramatic sounding than what happens but it does tend to go in that direction.

The gym is closed on Monday for Christmas so that is actually quite convenient for me as it will give me one extra day of rest before I modify this LP a little bit.

My next phase of this LP for HBBS will be as follow:

1 (single), 5, 5, 4, every 4 days.

The single weight will continue on upwards in 5 pounds increments from my last workout (so 430 x 1). I will add in an extra set and lower the backoff set weight to give me a little break as I continue to increase the weight. A total of 15 reps each workout will remain the same. I hope I manage to make it to a 500 pound single. That would be fantastic. I already exceeded my initial goal of 400 so maybe 500 is in the cards for this run.

I saw in an interview with Jordan that he LP'd up to a 500 pound squat. I am assuming that is with a belt so I think that given my current weights, I could probably do that too. Even if I don't make it there beltless, I think I can safely add (in my head) at least 30-40 pounds to my squats if I put on a belt. That's essentially what happened when I used the belt. My beltless weights I was doing became straight up light. I didn't become stronger of course, I could just display more of my strength. Essentially, I am saying a 460-470 beltless squat is without a doubt a 500 belted squat. But, of course, I can't and won't count it unless it's been on my back!

Edit: Man, this really is a bastardized form of LP. Adding in the single makes it a cross between LP and TM. But, if it works, that's all I care about. I'm over this injury and I'm hungry to get stronger and lift something that is actually heavy by strong people standards. Also, I meant to say that the gym being closed is convenient for me because it is the only day in the year when it is closed (it's a 24 hour fitness) so it literally works out perfectly for me. Otherwise, I might have had to straight up skip a workout when I shouldn't have.
    Last edited by BigA; 12-21-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: grammer and edit

Deadlift (no belt + mixed grip): 465 x 5 LS RO

I was getting a little bit of form creep by not cueing "lean back" I was doing before. I fixed it this time and the weight went up nicely.

My legs and lower back (to a lesser extent) are toast. I am looking forward to having one extra day of rest. I am not sure yet if I will just repeat today's deadlift session. I will see how the warm-ups feel. I am considering repeating it because I have noticed that any more than 3 days of rest starts to lead to a little bit of detraining or rather "forgetting" how to lift heavy. It's probably the latter as you don't detrain so quickly. The first set is always harder than normal after missing more than 3 days.

Press (no belt): 197.5 x 0, 172.5 x 4, 4, 3, 3, 3
    Weighted Chin-ups: 22.5 x 5, 5, 5, 3, 3

I cut the workout short today. It was pretty clear that I wasn't going to get much work done. Better to rest up a little bit and come back stronger. Merry Christmas everyone!

HBBS (no belt + no wraps/sleeves): 430 x 1, 365 x 5, 5, 4

I think I am getting sick. I feel terrible right now. I did the squat single which was fairly easy and then bam, I felt terrible. My body is achy like how when you have a cold. Doing the back-off sets felt heavier than it should have felt, given my recent numbers.

But, I am not getting sick. I can't. My gainz won't be jeopardized again!

I will see how the deadlift warm-ups feel tomorrow. I was considering repeating the weight again anyways so I just might do that.

As much as I don't want to admit it, I am sick. Interestingly, I don't have a sore throat or runny nose almost at all. However, I do have a pretty intense headache and DOMS like feeling over my body. My right ear sometimes pulsates with pain as well.

I am definitely not training today. I basically got no sleep and nyquill and dayquill only seem to mildly help. Ever since I gained weight, illnesses in the past seemed to be much shorter but more intense. I will see how I feel tomorrow. It's probable that I will do a medium day instead and then repeat the PR weight in the subsequent deadlift workout.
    Last edited by BigA; 12-27-2017 at 10:49 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Press (no belt): 190 x 1, 1, 165 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
    Weighted Chin-up: 60 x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, BW Chin-ups: 8, 8

Welp, I had the flu. It put me out of commission for about 5 days. I took an extra 3 days to "recover". Lost about 7 pounds. Now I'm back. No point in griping about it, I will get back again.

I am curious to see if I can take the LP for HBBS even further. I am not entirely convinced that I couldn't surpass 425 x 5 (no belt) as a top set. I think overall fatigue from consistent progress was a factor.

Guess who is getting his flu shot in 2018? That's right, this guy.

Also, i was called a nickname for the first time in the gym. I walked in and guy who I talk to said "Hey Big Swole". So, I have that going for me now.

I don't know if I want to list 2018 goals. I'm more of a lifetime goal kind of guy. These victories I get throughout the year with regards to weights or music don't really affect me too much. Unless it's a big setback like my back injury, PR's at this level are negligible to me. 800+ deadlift or nothing. Same thing with music, money or schooling.

Anyways, I do hope everyone had a great New Year's and I hope you guys crush whatever goals you have set for yourself!

Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast