5x5 @ 75.5kg

Bench
    5x5 @ 50kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 108kg
    1x5 @ 113kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 8kg

Real tough session. Each exercise required grinding. The Texas Method is one cruel mistress. She didn't care that I was still recovering from hosting a big family party the previous Saturday. I am soft when it comes to sleep, or rather, the lack of it.

Wednesday 2/12/15 AM
    I was still very sore from volume day, but I got the numbers I wanted.
    Squat
    2x5 @ 60.5kg

Press
    3x5 @ 35kg *PR

Power Clean
    ~6 x0 @ 63.5kg (Again, I lost count.)
    1x1 @ 63.5kg *PR. I was about to strip it back , but I really wanted my first bodyweight clean.
    4x3 @ 55kg Felt pretty good.

Chins
    3x5 @ 8kg

PM
    Running-
    Mainly coordination and timing drills. Nothing too physically taxing, only rhythmically!
    Sprints 4x50m. First time my hip flexor felt solid. Ole!
    Starts x 6

Friday 4/12/15
    I was really wiped and still sore on Thursday and Friday. I had an hour break at work, which I used to walk to the athletics track down the street. I foam-rolled, did some mobility and a thorough warm-up of running drills. Again, nothing too taxing, just got moving. This really helped me feel a bit more recovered.

Saturday 5/12/15
    Squat
    1x2 @ 84kg. I dumped the 3rd rep. My depth was too low.
    1x5 @ 84kg. Just took it rep by rep, focusing on cutting my depth appropriately and grinding.

Bench
    1x2 @ 55.5kg. This was meant to be a 5. I decided to do 5 reps in total for today. So-
    1x2 @ 55.5kg
    1x1 @ 55.5kg

Eh. It was just too heavy. I'll redo this weeks Bench Press programming next week. Also, I'll move my weekly jumps to 0.5kg now.

Deadlift
    1x3 @ 120kg
    1x3 @ 113kg

These felt really good.

Chins
    3x5 @ 8kg

No conditioning this week because it would have been silly.

Some pretty average lifts here this week. I combined the matriarchal advice of my Peruvian Grandma- "Eat liver! Iron!" and my Kiwi Mum- "Have some Vegemite! B Vitamins!" and cooked Lamb's liver pan-fried in Vegemite. With a side of roast sweet potato/camote/kumara, depending on your linguistic preference.

With this winning combination, I am confident I will have a better training report next week

Congrats on the body weight power clean!!! [emoji123]What a milestone!

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Congrats on the body weight power clean!!! [emoji123]What a milestone!
    Thank you Always feels good to PR.

Texas Method Week 14

Monday 7/12/15
    Squat
    5x5 @ 76.5 kg

Bench
    5x5 @ 50kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 109kg
    1x5 @ 104kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 9kg *PR

Wednesday 9/12/15
    Squat
    2x5 @ 61kg

Press
    1x4 @ 35.5kg. I didn't use my hips enough on the last two reps.
    3x5 @ 35.5kg *PR

Powerclean
    1x~12 failed attempts at 64.5kg. This isn't sustainable, and it was Trap-City Doms the next day. I'm going to deload and switch to 0.5kg jumps.
    1x1 @ 64.5kg*PR.
    4x3 @ 58kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 9kg

Friday 11/12/15
    Squat
    1x5 @ 85kg

Bench
    1x5 @ 55.5kg *PR. My hips came off the bench in the 5th rep, and then I put them down as I was locking out. In these cases, I use the Lonely Island's line- "Still counts!" But only just, so I will move to 0.5kg jumps now.

Deadlift
    1x3 @ 121kg *PR
    1x3 @ 114kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 9kg

BW 62.9kg

Next week there is a end of year powerlifting comp at the gym I am a member of. I think I will train as normal on the Monday, and then go for the 1RM's on Saturday. Or maybe I will take the deload week. I haven't decided yet. I would like to keep the training momentum going.

Texas Method Week 15
    This week I competed in the Summer Solstice powerlifting meet at Shire Speed and Strength. I ended up training my normal volume day, and treated the comp as intensity day.

Monday 14/12/15
    Squat
    5x5 @ 77.5kg

Bench
    4x5 @ 50.5kg
    1x4,1x1 @ 50.5kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 110kg
    1x5 @ 105kg

Chins
    5x3 @ 10kg *PR

Wednesday 16/12/15
    Squat
    2x5 @ 62kg

Press
    3x5 @ 36kg *PR. Tough sets. I felt a little cramped in the low back after these.

Power Clean
    W/Up 1x3 @ 35,45, 1x1 @ 55
    1x1 @ 60. My left low back started spasming as I caught this clean. I could barely move without the silly thing setting off again. I did some stretches until it eased up, and called it a day.

I attributed it to the combination of a tough press session, and mucking about in an awkward position trying to secure my powerlifting belt backwards against the cage. (The buckle is annoying in the power clean).

I have changed my presses to a 5x3 rep scheme, and I have ordered a weightlifting belt.

Friday 18/12/15
    Mobility work.

Saturday 19/12/15
    Summer Solstice Meet at Shire Speed and Strength

The back felt somewhat improved for the day. I weighed in at 63.2kg.

Squat
    1x1 @ 87.5
    1x1 @ 92.5
    1x1 @ 96 *Meet PR

Bench
    1x1@ 56
    1x1 @ 61x I made a mistake with these attempt selections. In hindsight, I would have started at 55, 57.5, 60. Even 60 would have been a gamble. It felt pretty heavy.
    1x1 @ 61x

Deadlift
    1x1 @ 122
    1x1 @ 130
    1x1 @ 136.5x No 2015 300lb for me. Next year for sure.

I really enjoy lifting in these meets, and it was extra special to be lifting on home ground. Coach Pete did a great job hosting us, and it is nice to stretch out and see where the 1RM's are.

I was disappointed with my bench and deadlift results, but in the wider scheme of training, I'm not too concerned. I think I'm carrying accumulated fatigue from the TM. Next meet I'll take a taper, but for now I'm in the TM (and it's terrible Tuesdays) for the long haul.

Next meet, February 7th 2016. That gives me six full weeks of training, and a week to deload.
    Last edited by Emily; 12-20-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Week 16
    A detour fortnight away from the TM to correct some mechanical inefficiencies in my squat.

Monday 21/12/2015
    Squat
    3x5 @ 78 kg. After focusing on cutting off my depth for the past month, I thought they might have been high. I asked Coach for a second opinion; he agreed they were high, but also told me to film the next set from the direct side. When I did so, it became apparent my bar path traipsed forward.

He also noted that I stand and start the bar over my heel. This creates a momentum that I then must generate extra work to counteract. Not very efficient.

We considered that in the past month I have rid myself of the habit of picking my toes up in my shoes. This was something I used to do a few years ago, my tactic to stop the bar going forward onto my toes. I stopped because I was getting some foot pain from the supination. In hindsight I see that it was silly. It effectively lessens my Anterior-Posterior base of support, and hence ability to balance.

3x3 @ 50 kg
    We worked a few different cues- physical cues with sticks, thinking about starting the bar over the midfoot (which felt forward to me), shoving my knees out more (it was my poor idea, and turned out to be too much.) I eventually ran out of time, so I decided to return the next day and try again, as well as complete my other lifts.

Tuesday 22/12/2015
    Squat
    A fuck-shit tonne of triples @ 35, 40, 45, 50 kg. It was a lot of frustrating sets, some falling over, hip joint pain, and a silly amount of video review.

I could see that I was performing it poorly, but I couldn't work out how to manoeuvre my body keep the bar path straight. To say I was frustrated is an underestimation.

Bench
    5x5 @ 50.5 kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 111 kg
    1x5 @ 105 kg

Chins
    2x5 @ 10 kg *PR
    1x4 @ 10 kg

Wednesday 23/12/2015
    Squat
    8x3 @ 55 kg
    Going cross-eyed from looking at the end of the bar. I brought my toe angle in- it was drifting in excess of 30 degrees. The magic cue came around the 5th set, upon my discussing the front-side. Coach said that I was too much in front- stick my hips back more. I tried it, and when he said "That's it," it pretty much made my Christmas.

3x3 @ 60 kg

Thursday 24/12/2015
    Squat
    8x3 @ 65 kg
    Prior to this session, Coach Tom C pointed out that my knees poke forward at the end because I try to keep them too vertical. They will go there anyway, better I get them there early and control them through the descent. I need to "Just say no" to vertical shins. I didn't quite master it this session, however.

Press
    3x3 @ 36.5 kg
    2x2 @ 36.5 kg
    1x1 @ 36.5 kg. I drop into too much lumbar extension. I need to work on staying tight in my trunk. (I cannot use the C-Word.)

Power Clean
    1x1 @ 60 kg
    4x3 @ 52 kg

Chins
    2x5 @ 10 kg
    1x3 @ 10 kg
    1x1 @ 10 kg

Monday 28/12/15
    My initial intentions of doing my intensity day on Boxing Day were thwarted by family festivities, so this calendar week was a bit bunched up.
    Bench
    1x5 @ 56 kg *Equal PR

Squat
    5x3 @ 67.5 kg. Somewhat jerky, but I was reasonably happy with the progress.

Deadlift
    1x3 @ 122 kg *PR
    1x3 @ 115 kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 10kg *PR

Week 17

Tuesday 29/12/2015
    Squat
    5x3 @ 70 kg. Terrible again. I was giving myself the same cues, but it just wasn't happening. I was fatigued, I think.

Bench
    5x5 @ 51 kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 112 kg
    1x5 @ 106 kg

Chins
    5x3 @ 10 kg

Thursday 31/12/15
    Squat
    5x3 @ 70 kg. Better, even though I was sleep deprived from a family fiesta that involved foot stamping folk dance till the early morning?! At times, the body doesn't make sense.

Press
    5x3 @ 36.5kg *PR

Ran out of time for power cleans and chins.

Saturday 2/1/15
    Bench
    1x5 @ 56.5 kg *PR. I am now using our new competition bench press. It is 6cm wider, and IPF compliant. I find it harder, because I can't squeeze my adductors into the bench and get as tight as I am used to in the trunk, nor as much leg drive.

Squat
    4x3 @ 72.5 kg. Still a work in progress but I'll be back to TM next week.

Deadlift
    1x3 @ 123 kg *PR
    1x3 @ 116 kg

Chins
    3x3 @ 10 kg

I have been a little behind on the logs. Congrats (belatedly on some of) the PRs, meet and training.

It is sometimes very frustrating to take weight off the bar, but I hope it is helping you. I find I need to do it sometimes, and while it's frustrating, it (sometimes) helps me combat the form creep.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    Going cross-eyed from looking at the end of the bar. I brought my toe angle in- it was drifting in excess of 30 degrees. The magic cue came around the 5th set, upon my discussing the front-side. Coach said that I was too much in front- stick my hips back more. I tried it, and when he said "That's it," it pretty much made my Christmas.
    Are you looking at the end of the bar on a phone video? I use an iPhone app called Iron Path sometimes to check out my bar path. It'll only trace bar path for three videos at a time in the free version, but you can export the video from the app to do more.

I am now using our new competition bench press. It is 6cm wider, and IPF compliant. I find it harder, because I can't squeeze my adductors into the bench and get as tight as I am used to in the trunk, nor as much leg drive.
    Are you still benching with your feet not fully on the ground (as in the first Funky Cold Medina Video logs), or have you switched? In my very limited experience on a competition bench press, I found that with my feet flat on the floor, turning my toes in (which is more like pointing them forward than turning them out like usual) helped me stay tight. YMMV though.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    I have been a little behind on the logs. Congrats (belatedly on some of) the PRs, meet and training.

It is sometimes very frustrating to take weight off the bar, but I hope it is helping you. I find I need to do it sometimes, and while it's frustrating, it (sometimes) helps me combat the form creep.

Are you looking at the end of the bar on a phone video? I use an iPhone app called Iron Path sometimes to check out my bar path. It'll only trace bar path for three videos at a time in the free version, but you can export the video from the app to do more.

Are you still benching with your feet not fully on the ground (as in the first Funky Cold Medina Video logs), or have you switched? In my very limited experience on a competition bench press, I found that with my feet flat on the floor, turning my toes in (which is more like pointing them forward than turning them out like usual) helped me stay tight. YMMV though.
    Thanks Yes, the squat is improving.

I downloaded the Iron Path app but for some reason it kept freezing on my phone. It looked cool otherwise! Never mind.

In regards to my foot placement in the bench press, I am transitioning to heels down. It definitely reduces my leg drive though. Apparently, under federation rules, I am allowed to put plates or blocks under my feet. I will have a bit of an experiment with this, along with the technique you suggest.

TM Week 18

Monday 4/1/16

Squat
    5x5 @ 78kg

Bench
    5x5 @ 51.5kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 113kg
    1x5 @ 107kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 10 kg

Tuesday 5/1/16
    Mobility, Running drills
    Acceleration on prowler x 8
    Walk prowler x4

Wednesday 6/1/16
    Squat
    2x5 @ 62.5kg

Press
    5x3 @ 37.5kg *PR

Power Clean
    1x1 @ 63.5kg (3rd attempt)
    4x3 @ 56.5kg (+1 missed attempt)

Chins
    3x5 @ 10 kg

Saturday 9/1/16
    AM
    Squat
    1x5 @ 86kg

Bench
    1x1 @ 57kg. I wasn’t aggressive unracking the bar, and it caught me off guard.
    1x4 @ 57kg. I am being generous to myself, my hips were miles off the bench on the last two reps.
    1x2 @ 57kg. I figured this would total 5 honest reps. I will repeat this weight next week.

Deadlift
    1x3 @ 124kg *PR

1x3 @ 117kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 10kg

PM
    Running warm-up + drills
    4x50m sprints
    Last edited by Emily; 01-15-2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell.

TM Week 19

Mon 11/01/16
    Squat
    5x5 @ 78.5kg

Bench
    5x5 @ 52 kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 113kg
    1x5 @ 107kg

Chins
    3x4 @ 11.5kg

Tue 12/01/16
    Some mobility, marching drills and prowler walking for active recovery.

Wed 13/01/16
    Squat
    2x5 @ 63kg

Press
    5x3 @ 38 kg *PR. Hip timing needs work.

Power Clean
    1x1 @ 60kg (2nd attempt)
    4x3 @ 55.5kg

Chins
    3x4 @ 11.5kg

Friday 15/01/16
    Squat
    1x5 @ 87kg. I actually think they are somewhat improved.

Bench
    1x5 @ 57kg * PR(ish) Being generous again. Forgot to grab a video, but my heels and butt came off on the last two reps. I will increase the VD weight, but remain at this ID weight. This will make my VD 92% of ID.

Deadlift
    1x3 @ 125kg *PR

1x3 @ 118kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 11.5 kg *PR I've wanted to lift a 10kg plate for a full set for a while, so I'm chuffed.

Been a bit slow updating this. Here follows three weeks of training notes and videos

Week 20 TM
    Sunday 17/1/16
    Starting Strength Camp, Sydney PTC

It was a great camp, and I wouldn't have expected anything less of the Starting Strength crew. The coaching from Tom and Jordan was exemplary, and I was very grateful to come away with a better understanding and eye of the lifts, and valuable feedback for my own lifting. I would really encourage anyone remotely close to future camps or seminars to attend.

In the spirit of the Shire Speed and Strength motto, 'Mockery, Gluttony and Unfuckery' here is my List of Things to Unfuck:

Squat
    3x5 @ 65kg
    - Stance about 2cm wider, in conjunction with my knees out a little less.
    - Grip in, elbows down so as to line up closer to parallel with my torso.
    - Get my knees in place earlier.
    - Lean over more. When I rise up out of the squat, I go to the optimal mechanical position anyway; I need to get there earlier and maintain it.
    - Get a breath earlier; I had a tendency to take it as I was descending.
    - Brace the hell out of my abs once I have that breath. Hold this brace tight all the way down. Intentionally doing this feels like wearing a second belt. Sweet.
    - The tempo of my descent needs to be more slow, controlled and uniform. Same speed down.
    - Heels, knees back on the ascent. The feel of this immediately reminded me of the feel of sweeping the bar and knees back in a clean, if using a bar forward start.

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 90kg
    - Widen stance about a cm. Jordan illustrated the point by having me close my eyes and jump. He pointed out that this (wider) width is what I naturally select for maximum power generation in a standing vertical jump start.
    - Tighten up into thoracic extension to take the slack out of the bar before pulling. The bar kind of lifts before the hips come in.
    - Look up a little more, to iron out some thoracic spine rounding.
    - Don't let the bar drift away from the legs on pulling.

Press
    1x5 @ 30kg
    - Straighten up my wrists.
    - Bar floats a little higher above my sternal notch, in the air.
    - Remember to keep the bar close to my face.

Monday 18/1/16
    Active Recovery:
    Mobility
    Marching drills
    Prowler acceleration drills x 6
    Prowler walks x 8

Tuesday 19/1/16
    Trained at Lift Performance with Tom. In between his own excellent lifting, he kindly gave me more much needed yelling

Squat
    5x5 @ 79kg

I have to work on keeping a smooth descent. The pace down needs to be uniform. I need to stay in my hips and get my back angle set early, to really use my hips to drive up.

Bench
    3x5 @ 52.5kg
    1x4 @ 52.5 kg
    1x3 @ 52.5kg

These were tough. I am still getting used to keeping my heels on the ground. I need to think about driving my body back into the bench, on an angle, to the point under the shoulder blades.

I have been bouncing the bar off my chest increasingly, so I worked on having more control at the bottom. Surprisingly, it didn’t make the lift too much harder: what I lost in bounce, I gained in tightness. And reduced boob smashing, which is always a plus.

Also need to squeeze the bar hard on the last reps. I have a habit of opening my hand.

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 114
    1x3 @ 108 (meant to be 5.)

At heavy weights, I struggle to keep my back in extension. I am losing it to flexion, as soon as the bar leaves the ground. My awareness of this happening in the moment is not great, but it's something I plan to unfuck with video playback. The phrase "Full Turtle" was thrown out there, a term I am definitely borrowing from now on.

Thursday 21/1/16
    Squat
    2x5 @ 63.5kg

Press
    5x3 @ 38.5kg *PR

Power Clean
    1x1 @ 60kg
    3x0 @ 65kg
    4x3 @ 55.5kg

Working on keeping my spine in extension off the floor.
    Need to slow the tempo up to the 2nd pull position.
    Sometimes my second pull position is too early on the thigh.
    The bar on the 65kg attempts were being pulled high enough to rack; I just wasn’t getting under them, and they were too forward.
    On the 65kg attempts, the bar is too far in front of my body. I need to bring my elbows up, not row them back.

Chins
    3x3 @ 11.5kg

Saturday 23/1/16
    Squat
    1x5 @ 88kg

I am happy the bar path is straighter, but not happy I didn’t get full hip drahve. Still need to work on the things I’ve noted above, particularly a more horizontal back angle.

Bench
    1x4 @ 57.5kg. Was going for 5, but 4 is okay. Time for triples on ID.

Deadlift
    1x2 @ 126kg (meant to be 1x3). According to Snozzcumbers, I went straight into flexion, so I dropped the next planned set (118) down to 110 to address it.
    1x3 @ 110kg

Chins
    3x3 @ 11.5kg

Sunday 24/1/16
    Over a day (athletics coaching course):
    Sprint drills
    3 point & block starts + ~30m x ~8
    Hurdle drills
    Long, triple and high jumps: drills and 2 full jumps each jump.

Sleep: 5 x infinity.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Emily, I just wanted to say hi and pass on kudos for all your impressive lifting. I had a quick read through your log and you look like you are doing great.

I kind of got out of the habit of logging but I have still been lifting. Maybe I will join you here soon. I've had some issues recently would be much easier to sort out if I had better records and a bit more feedback from people.

Congrats also on your comps from last year. I may have missed it but do you have plans to compete this year?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast