starting strength gym
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Funky Cold Medina Gainz

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
    Hi Emily, I just wanted to say hi and pass on kudos for all your impressive lifting. I had a quick read through your log and you look like you are doing great.

I kind of got out of the habit of logging but I have still been lifting. Maybe I will join you here soon. I've had some issues recently would be much easier to sort out if I had better records and a bit more feedback from people.

Congrats also on your comps from last year. I may have missed it but do you have plans to compete this year?
    Hi Aimee! I am glad to hear that you are still going strong with your lifting.

Thank you for your kind words. I do plan to compete, but I want to train a little more before doing so. How about you? Are you planning to compete this year?

Week 21 TM

Monday 25/1/16
    Squat
    5x5 @ 80kg

Bench
    5x5 @ 53.5kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 114kg. Decidedly less turtle like.
    1x5 @ 108kg

Chins
    3x3 @ 11.5kg

Tuesday 26/1/16
    Mobility work
    Sprint warm-up drills
    Prowler acceleration drill x 8

Thursday 28/1/16
    Squat
    2x5 @ 64kg

Press
    5x3 @ 39kg *PR

Power Clean
    10 x 1 @ 55 EMOM

Chins
    3x3 @ 11.5kg

Saturday 30/1/16

Squat
    1x5 @ 89kg

Bench
    2x3 @ 58kg

Deadlift
    2x1 @ 126kg
    1x3 @ 118kg

Chins
    3x5 @ 11.5kg

Sunday 31/1/16
    Discus, shot put, javelin. Mainly technique work, 3 full throws each.
    Running drills

Week 22 Texas Method

Monday 1/2/16
    Squat
    5x5 @ 81kg

Bench
    5x5 @ 53.5 kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 115kg
    1x5 @ 109kg

Chins
    3x3 @ 11.5kg

Tuesday 2/2/16
    Sprint drills
    Prowler acceleration drill x 8 emom
    Mobility work and foamrolling

Wednesday 3/2/16
    Power Clean
    Did these first so I could train them with my little sister.
    1x1 @ 55kg
    4x3 @ 48kg

Squat
    2x5 @ 65kg

Press
    5x3 @ 39.5kg *PR

Friday 5/2/16
    Squat
    1x5 @ 90kg *PR

Bench
    2x3 @ 58.5kg *PR

Deadlift
    1x3 @ 127kg *PR. Video is on the gym camera, but I'm happier with how I'm holding my back shape.
    1x3 @ 119kg

Chins
    3x4 @ 11.5kg

BW 62.7 kg

Saturday 6/2/16
    Track:
    Sprint drills
    3 point start x 4
    50m x 5

Damn Em, that there is some numbers you're doing there, turtle or not!

1.5 x BW Squats, 2x BW Dead's, almost BW on Bench, over 0.5 BW on Press and you've still got tons of gas in the tank.

Very impressive, I'm going to go cry into my Marmite drink and bemoan lost opportunities of youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    Hi Aimee! I am glad to hear that you are still going strong with your lifting.

Thank you for your kind words. I do plan to compete, but I want to train a little more before doing so. How about you? Are you planning to compete this year?
    Sound like a good plan, are you planning on joining any federation in particular? I haved joined GPC as I prefer the less strict competition atmosphere and I like benching with my heels off the ground... My next comp is in April. I also competed in december last year and came out with a 245 total at 64.4kgs so I was pleased with that.

Congratulations on your deadlift, press and squat PRs. I have to admit I gave up pressing because my bench just let me down so much in comp, so now I am benching much more. But seeing that press number of yours makes me really want to get back into it! That is seriously an awesome achievement.

How are you finding texas method? I run HLM personnally because I prefer a template style program rather then what seems to me like quite a fixed 'don't miss any reps' style of training... I tried TM for a couple of weeks but I got so fucking stressed over Intensity day stuff and I missed one rep on bench because I drank too much water before my set and I just realised it wasn't really for me at this stage. Especially bench my form was too inconsistent, the smallest distraction or mistake in set up would mean I'd end up losing a whole week of training.... Anyway I wont fill your log up with my crap, I will get my shit together and start my own

Also your chins have come so far. How are you microloading them? Tying plates to yourself or just holding on to them? Also when did you call it on body weight and move to weighted? Like what rep range?

Quote Originally Posted by Pekingman View Post

1.5 x BW Squats, 2x BW Dead's, almost BW on Bench, over 0.5 BW on Press and you've still got tons of gas in the tank.

Very impressive, I'm going to go cry into my Vegemite drink and bemoan lost opportunities of youth.
    ^ fixed that for you

But I agree with Pekingman, your recent PRs are quite impressive!
    Last edited by chromoly; 02-07-2016 at 12:42 AM. Reason: emojis don't show up?

one day you will learn the difference between a meat extract and a vegetable extract and see the error of your ways grasshopper

one day you will learn the difference between a meat extract and a vegetable extract and see the error of your ways grasshopper
    I know Emily credits her gainz to Vegemite, but as an American, I haven't had either Marmite or Vegemite. TBH, neither of them sound really appealing.

From Wikipedia:
    Vegemite is salty, slightly bitter, malty, and rich in umami – similar to beef bouillon.
    Beef stock, but beef bouillon??

Default Funky Cold Medina Gainz

Em is young and conditioned by the cultural milieu she lives in, an appeal to the unwashed masses of America is no way to settle an epicurean debate. Suggest you try evaluating them both yourself before blindly taking your answer from the intertubes. A good novice progression would be to start with lightly toasted white toast bread and progress to applying it on an advanced novice original full grain Vogel's toast. Intermediate program is where you start making it into a hot drink. Some advanced variant programming techniques involve dipping vegemite toast into hot marmite drinks, not recommended for those who haven't done at least 18 months of serious consumption.
    Last edited by Troy May; 02-07-2016 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimee View Post
    Sound like a good plan, are you planning on joining any federation in particular? I haved joined GPC as I prefer the less strict competition atmosphere and I like benching with my heels off the ground... My next comp is in April. I also competed in december last year and came out with a 245 total at 64.4kgs so I was pleased with that.

Congratulations on your deadlift, press and squat PRs. I have to admit I gave up pressing because my bench just let me down so much in comp, so now I am benching much more. But seeing that press number of yours makes me really want to get back into it! That is seriously an awesome achievement.

How are you finding texas method? I run HLM personnally because I prefer a template style program rather then what seems to me like quite a fixed 'don't miss any reps' style of training... I tried TM for a couple of weeks but I got so fucking stressed over Intensity day stuff and I missed one rep on bench because I drank too much water before my set and I just realised it wasn't really for me at this stage. Especially bench my form was too inconsistent, the smallest distraction or mistake in set up would mean I'd end up losing a whole week of training.... Anyway I wont fill your log up with my crap, I will get my shit together and start my own

Also your chins have come so far. How are you microloading them? Tying plates to yourself or just holding on to them? Also when did you call it on body weight and move to weighted? Like what rep range?
    Nice work on the 245 total last December! I joined Powerlifting Australia, but I haven’t chosen a meet yet. I want a good solid training run behind me.

You really gotta press! I credit pressing with fixing my shoulder impingement pain. It develops the shoulder musculature in a more balanced manner than the bench. It also works real well programmed alongside bench, keeping the shoulders healthy, so you can continue to train bench hard.

In saying that, I only press once a week, and bench twice. This is because Press is still on a LP, and Bench is on the TM. When the LP tapers off, I will press twice a week each fortnight, as per the TM template. Perhaps you could tweak your template to start with it once a week?

I am happy with the Texas Method. Sometime I miss reps on Intensity Day, but I can usually pinpoint the reason: technique, busy week/exams, or, it's just one of those days. If I can address it, I will. If not, there's always next week. As long as the general trend is upwards, it's all good. It sounds like HLM is suiting you well. I think more important is just being consistent with whatever programming you do decide to go with.

Ha, you can put whatever you like on my log. Unless it is dissent against Vegemite. Then I'll go all North Korean on your ass

With chins, I started loading them at 2 reps, but it was a bit of a unique situation. I had fractured my leg, so I was able to put the time and recovery capacity into sets of 10-15. I would suggest 5-8 bodyweight reps. I load them with either the gym's chin belt, or a power band. Just loop them onto the power band, and wear it on your back like you would a backpack. Does that make sense?

I hope that helps

starting strength coach development program

Very impressive, I'm going to go cry into my Marmite drink and bemoan lost opportunities of youth.
    Thank you for the encouragement Pekingman. You are too kind. Chromoly is also very kind, in fixing your culinary confusions

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    I know Emily credits her gainz to Vegemite, but as an American, I haven't had either Marmite or Vegemite. TBH, neither of them sound really appealing.

From Wikipedia:

Beef stock, but beef bouillon??
    Should you ever visit Down Under, I will be sure to personally make Vegemite available to you. It will be an experience on par with enlightenment.

Em is young and conditioned by the cultural milieu she lives in, an appeal to the unwashed masses of America is no way to settle an epicurean debate. Suggest you try evaluating them both yourself before blindly taking your answer from the intertubes. A good novice progression would be to start with lightly toasted white toast bread and progress to applying it on an advanced novice original full grain Vogel's toast. Intermediate program is where you start making it into a hot drink. Some advanced variant programming techniques involve dipping vegemite toast into hot marmite drinks, not recommended for those who haven't done at least 18 months of serious consumption.
    Peking offers some very excellent and sensible yeast programming here. I might add the straight teaspoon to the advanced variant category.

As for Marmite, I shall let the King of Gondor defend the honour of Vegemite:

'By all that you hold dear on this good toast,
    I bid you stand, Men of the Yeast!'

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast