starting strength gym
Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: bean counter's Barbell Medicine Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    crap man. sorry to hear. I hope you can find a way around all this. I know how frustrating this is for you.
    My meet is in just under two weeks so hopefully I can train through without disruption. At the moment I have quite a bit of discomfort, but I can still lift OK.

Monday 8 February
    Cycle 2
    Week 5, Day 1

Bodyweight: 96.0 kg

Not moving up. I'm expecting a bump in macros this week. Only five hours of sleep last night.

LBBS
    ℞ 1 @ 8, 1 @ 9, 3 X 3 @ 9
    Belt, wrist wraps, SBD sleeves
    147.5 kg: 1 X 3 @ 7
    157.5 kg: 1 X 1 @ 8-
    165 kg: 1 X 1 @ 9-
    155 kg: 1 X 3 @ 8.5 [PR]
    147.5 kg: 2 X 3 @ 8, 8
    Totals: 14 reps, 2,115 kg

After a slightly hairy rep at 165 kg last week I didn't push up the singles this week. Both moved well and I nearly had them @7.5 and @8.5. Bar path was a bit inconsistent on my triples, but my top set was a triples PR nontheless. Should probably have taken a smaller weight drop (150 kg?) as the last two sets were a bit lower RPE than Rx'ed. The final set was surprisingly easy after I slowed down my descent a bit. Back is still a bit sore, but triples are less fatiguing than higher rep ranges.

TnG Bench
    ℞ 1 @ 8, 2 X 4 @ 9
    Wrist wraps
    100 kg: 1 X 4 @ 8
    110 kg: 1 X 1 @ 8
    102.5 kg: 2 X 4 @ 8.5, 9
    Totals: 13 reps, 1,330 kg

Poor,especially compared to my great performance on Saturday. Possible reasons:
    - Bad sleep;
    - High volume on Saturday;
    - Equipment much poorer than Saturday; and
    - Injured left arm;

Oh well, I did the work and that was that.

Tuesday 9 February
    Cycle 2
    Week 5, Day 2

Bodyweight: 96.5 kg

Comp Bench
    Wrist wraps, belt
    100 kg: 1 X 3 @ 7
    111.25 kg: 1 X 1 @ 8
    116.25 kg: 1 X 1 @ 9
    107.5 kg: 1 X 3 @ 8.5 [PR]
    105 kg: 1 X 3 @ 9
    102.5 kg: 1 X 3 @ 8.5
    Totals: 14 reps, 1475 kg

Good enough. Descent on the 116.25 kg was a bit fast, but it went up well enough. 107.5 X 3 was a comp bench PR triple. After taking too big a weight drop for my final two sets yesterday I tried to keep the intensity high today. Arm pain not as bad today.

Squat Without Belt
    ℞ 5 @ 7, 5 @ 8, 2 X 5 @ 9
    SBD sleeves, wrist wraps
    120 kg: 1 X 5 @ 7
    125 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8
    130 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8.5, 9
    Totals: 20 reps, 2,525 kg

While I still don't feel entirely happy squatting without a belt it seems to be going well, as I've got the top set weight up to a level that I would have considered a workings set for belted squats a few months aggo. The offset is down to 10% or so. This went well, and my lower back didn't fatigue too badly. I have quite an unpleasant ache in my groin afterwards though, which I also noticed yesterday. Kind of worried, particularly about the possibility of a hernia, but I'll have to keep it under observation.

Wednesday 17 February
    GPP

Bodyweight: 96.6 kg

Cross Trainer
    25 minutes @ c. 120bpm

HR a bit lower than normal. Maybe because I hadn't done anything else first, or because I had less caffeine than usual before training.

Planks [8 minutes]
    9 X 30s = 4:30

Ring Rows [8 minutes]

Forearm hurt a bit during the latter stages of this.

Arms [5 minutes]
    Light DB Curls

Mobility [10 minutes]

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    My meet is in just under two weeks so hopefully I can train through without disruption. At the moment I have quite a bit of discomfort, but I can still lift OK.
    congrats on your recent squat and bench pr's.

heading into last years nationals, I had to have 3 injections in my elbow and 2 in my right hip. Hang in there, your training smart, most guys head into meets dinged up.

Your going to have a great meet.

Do you have a nutritional strategy for meet day?

BTW, I am posting while my car warms up. heading to gym in 5 minutes..lol

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    HR a bit lower than normal. Maybe because I hadn't done anything else first, or because I had less caffeine than usual before training.
    Or best case scenario, your RHR has improved. This means you will have to do more in order to get within this zone, more cardio, means training cardio, this takes away more and more emphasis on strength. Using heart rate to gauge work output on cardio can be problematic, as you can see.

If it's about conditioning, once raised to an appreciable level , it can be easily maintained through the work capacity it enables in primary training alone.

Planks [8 minutes]
    9 X 30s = 4:30
    Have you noticed any benefit to doing isometric ab work? Why planks in particular?

Mobility [10 minutes]
    Limber 11?

Why mobilise after a session?

Of course, in your case, given tweaks and what not, mobility as part of recovery could be very beneficial. I'd look into stepping away from a generalised thing like Limber 11 and focusing more on specificity for mobilising areas of the body that are the problematic for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boa View Post
    Or best case scenario, your RHR has improved. This means you will have to do more in order to get within this zone, more cardio, means training cardio, this takes away more and more emphasis on strength. Using heart rate to gauge work output on cardio can be problematic, as you can see.

If it's about conditioning, once raised to an appreciable level , it can be easily maintained through the work capacity it enables in primary training alone.
    I am highly doubtful of any RHR changes to the order of the effect experienced today. My conditioning recommendation from Jordan was not in the form of a HR target, but when pressed he did give me a range to condider. I have cut back my effort level during a few sessions in the past when my HR was going a bit high, but I didn't increase it today. So I am not trying to progress my conditioning, or push it to a level where it will interefere with lifting.

For LISS work I don't even really see it as being about improving conditioning for lifting. The work is a form of active recovery and should hopefully aid with nutrient partitioning while I continue to consume an above-maintenance level of food on GPP days.

Have you noticed any benefit to doing isometric ab work? Why planks in particular?
    Isometrics are preferable to dynamic work for me since I have had some back tweaks in the past and don't want to put more stress on my discs than necessary. The most evident benefit is an improvement in the ability to do isometric work. I don't honestly know if there is any carry-over to lifting, but it's Jordan's reccomendation and the cost in time and energy is fairly low.

Planks seems like the most obvious isometric "core" exercise to me. I do L sits as well sometimes, but those are much more demanding and I don't feel as able to get in a consistent dose of work with them.

Limber 11?

Why mobilise after a session?

Of course, in your case, given tweaks and what not, mobility as part of recovery could be very beneficial. I'd look into stepping away from a generalised thing like Limber 11 and focusing more on specificity for mobilising areas of the body that are the problematic for you.
    Well my mobility is good enough to do the lifts anyway, so I don't need to to it before a session. After puts in in a position where I am warm, but it isn't going to impact any subsequent activity.

Limber 11 is still the basis of what I do, but I also target specific problem areas. My left arm is troublesome at the moment, so that got some attention (lacrosse ball work) today, and I also did some pigeon stretches as my glutes / outside of my hips were feeling tight.

congrats on your recent squat and bench pr's.

Thanks, I managed to add a PR triple on the deadlift today as well for a good week overall.

heading into last years nationals, I had to have 3 injections in my elbow and 2 in my right hip. Hang in there, your training smart, most guys head into meets dinged up.
    My arm hurts more again (see below), but I don't think injuries are going to hold me back.

Your going to have a great meet.

Do you have a nutritional strategy for meet day?
    I'm not too sure yet. I'll try to have a normal breakfast before I leave for the weigh-in. After that I'm thinking bananas, clif bars and pop tarts are all easy energy. I will try to take a sandwich or something more substantial as well, although I'm not sure whether I'll have the appetite for it.

Thursday 18 February
    Cycle 2
    Week 5, Day 3

Bodyweight: 96.1 kg

Deadlift
    Belt
    167.5 kg: 1 X 3 @ 7
    182.5 kg: 1 X 1 @ 8
    192.5 kg: 1 X 1 @ 9
    177.5 kg: 1 X 3 @ 9 [PR]
    170 kg: 2 X 3 @ 8, 8.5
    Totals: 14 reps, 2,430 kg

Didn't feel great (deadlift rarely does), but solid overall. For a fraction of a second the 192.5 kg felt like it wasn't going to come off the ground, but then it moved OK. Top triple was a PR at an easy @9 and the down sets were pretty straighforwad. Although left hand supinated feels more natural / stronger grip, the bar tends to come off my legs this way, so I think I should pull my attempts at the meet with right hand supinated.

This was my last heavy pulling session before the meet. I only have one more proper training day (Saturday) and then a couple of taper days next week.

TnG Bench
    ℞ 5 @ 7, 5 @ 8, 2 X 5 @ 9
    Wrist wraps
    95 kg: 1 X 5 @ 7
    97.5 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8
    102.5 kg: 1 X 5 @ 9
    100 kg: 1 X 5 @ 9
    Totals: 20 reps, 1,975 kg

After pulling my last two sets with a supinated left hand my arm hurt a lot at the start of the bench slot. Given the location of the pain I think this is consistent with my previous self-diagnosis of biceps tendonitis. I will try to avoid pulling with that hand supinated for a while. Performance was fine considering arm pain and general fatigue from a heavy deadlift slot.

If the bar is wanting to come off your leg with your hands that way, try scooting your supinated hand out an extra half inch.

Do you have any ideas of attempts as yet or will you wait until closer to the time?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    If the bar is wanting to come off your leg with your hands that way, try scooting your supinated hand out an extra half inch.
    Thanks. I probably won't get a chance to play around with this soon, but will try and remember for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Do you have any ideas of attempts as yet or will you wait until closer to the time?
    I think I should have all the data to make a decision now, but I need to consult with Jordan. All being well I should be aiming for small improvements on my previous gym PRs as 3rd attempts.

Page 20 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast