Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Annie's Lady Lifting Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    9/15/16:

Squat: 210 1x5 RPE 9

Bench: 95 5x3 RPE 9.5

Minor shoulder discomfort throughout, but otherwise felt really good about these. PR for sure -- last time I repped 95 was at the SS Seminar last year for a single terrible set of 5 (so much elbow flare), with Wolf looking on disapprovingly.

Deadlift: 237.5 1x5 RPE 8

Pulldowns (underhanded): 5x10x100

Nahce work. Bench is looking good. Deadlifts look ezpz as usual when you do them.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Nahce work. Bench is looking good. Deadlifts look ezpz as usual when you do them.
    Thanks!

Shoulder pain increased markedly last night, including a localized sharp pain right on the joint in addition to the diffuse mild discomfort. Grr. Better this morning, and next training session is Sunday, so hopefully that's enough time to get things to calm down. I'm drowning it in Tiger Balm and other menthol shit to try to break the pain cycle. I suspect bench as the culprit, although I really felt quite good about my form, so...not sure.

Sigh. Saga continues.

Time for us to find some European friends to get us Voltaren gel. It's a topical NSAID cream (or gel), none of those gastric side-effects because it's applied locally.

But... I guess I looked it up once and you can't get it in the US without an Rx. I guess maybe you can have your Dr. husband write a scrip for you....?

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Time for us to find some European friends to get us Voltaren gel. It's a topical NSAID cream (or gel), none of those gastric side-effects because it's applied locally.

But... I guess I looked it up once and you can't get it in the US without an Rx. I guess maybe you can have your Dr. husband write a scrip for you....?
    Thanks for jogging my memory about that stuff. I actually thought it wasn't available in the US at all. Dr. Husband says it's stupidly expensive (internet says $60-100 for 100 grams!), but apparently there is a generic available now/soon. Will consider, depending on generic cost!

9/18/16:

Morning workout = belt fits one notch smaller

Squat: 202.5 3x5 RPE 9

Had the hardest damn time getting out of my toes for all three sets. These were hard, and caused some shoulder pain after my work sets. I'm guessing it's just the pressure of the bar?

Press: 70 2x5, 1x4 RPE 10

Grr. Feels shitty to miss a rep after being successful at this weight earlier this week. Pain still present throughout these, though I don't think they made it worse.

Pulldowns (underhanded): 5x10x100

Circuit: 30 sec on/off, 4 rounds
    KB swings (35lb)
    lunges
    situps

Shoulder Saga Update:
    Went back and looked at my MRI report with my husband. Was reminded that there's potentially two related issues, 1) bone edema in the joint itself (which may or may not have returned), and 2) a "tiny" osteophyte, which I assume is still present. Right now, round-the-clock NSAIDs definitely helps and keeps the pain relatively manageable. I'm going to try to get a RX for Voltaren gel (thanks Nanette!), which apparently there is a generic of now, and see if that has a similar effect. That said, the pain is nowhere near what it was in the Spring. I don't feel good about the pain returning so soon, but if it gets even close to that bad again, I definitely will try at least one more cortisone injection.

Anyone have opinions about this? Am I really just delaying an inevitable Mumford procedure?

I wish I could give some good advice about the shoulder. Alas, I ain't got nothing for you. Hope the generic Voltaren works for you.

The squats looked like RPE 0. Seriously, the bar barely slowed down! Damn girl.

About the press: just one of those days.

Deadlifts look solid! Squats look pretty solid to me as well.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder trouble. I hope it sorts itself out.

9/20/16:

Lots of shoulder pain yesterday. Pretty okay this morning. Pulldowns hurt it a little bit; icing now. Back on teh drugs: 800mg ibuprofen/500mg tylenol. Matt's opinion is to try to avoid the clavicle-shaving surgery. Time to build boulder shoulders and take all the drugs!

Squats: 187.5 3x5 RPE 7

Bench: 97.5 5x3 RPE 9

Felt pretty good. Still see some elbow flare, grr. But omg bench going up!!!!!

Deadlift: 240 1x5 RPE 8.5

Bar stuck on sweaty thighs, ew. Don't like deadlifting in shorts for that reason, but I'll have to do it at the FC, so...good to practice.

Pulldowns (underhanded): 1x10x100, 1x10x90, 3x10x80

Pain on first set so decreased weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Completely forgot to chronicle the best thing that happened Sunday: immediately after warming up squats with the empty bar, dude walks over and waves in my face to get me to take off my headphones.

Him: Hey! Do you mind if I switch bars with you? That one [i.e. mine, the only Ohio Power Bar in the gym] is just a little grippier."

Me: Yeah I know, that's why I'm using it. Sorry.

To his credit, he did end up doing snatches so he had a legitimate reason for wanting it I guess. If I were cooler/more of an asshole, I would have said "Well actually it's called an Ohio Power Bar..." and talked his ear off about bars for 5 minutes. Alas.

Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast