starting strength gym
Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Annie's Lady Lifting Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is that a 230 pound double overhand deadlift?! If it's hook grip I will be even more impressed. I can't pull anything over 225 for five reps with hook grip.

Also, the lifting history looks really cool! I am now inspired to plot my own progress, although in Excel rather than a fancy web app.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Is that a 230 pound double overhand deadlift?! If it's hook grip I will be even more impressed. I can't pull anything over 225 for five reps with hook grip.

Also, the lifting history looks really cool! I am now inspired to plot my own progress, although in Excel rather than a fancy web app.
    Aw thanks! Yeah, it's hook grip -- no way I could hold onto that without hooking. I had always done mixed grip, but I tried hook grip at the SS Seminar I attended in October and I haven't looked back. Though, it really does hurt like crazy for like, the first month. It's juuuuuust now starting to not be incredibly painful each time. I guess that means I'm killing off the nerves...? Yay!(?)

And yeah, I want him to make his code available for that web app...it's pretty cool. It was done using R (https://www.r-project.org/). Mine doesn't show it because my history has been so spotty, but his shows a really cool fanning out of data points where he started Texas Method. It's fun.

Hi Annie,

Just wanted to say great lifting and I'll be following along! I hook grip, too, and find that wrapping athletic tape around my thumbs really helps. It still hurts like a SOB but makes it more tolerable!

Quote Originally Posted by LaBellATL View Post
    Hi Annie,

Just wanted to say great lifting and I'll be following along! I hook grip, too, and find that wrapping athletic tape around my thumbs really helps. It still hurts like a SOB but makes it more tolerable!
    I've always hooked and it doesn't ever really hurt but tape is a big helper for thumb ugliness.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBellATL View Post
    I hook grip, too, and find that wrapping athletic tape around my thumbs really helps. It still hurts like a SOB but makes it more tolerable!
    I actually tried taping a couple weeks ago and found it didn't do much for me. So far I haven't ripped up my thumbs too much, but I know that may soon change.

Somewhat related, I work at a school, and recently I have been comparing palm callouses with some of the elementary kids -- mine from deadlifts, theirs from monkey bars. Theirs are more hardcore.

12/11/15:

Squat: 3x5 @ 155

Press: 3x3 @ 67

Rows: 3x8 @ 100

Ran out of time for chins. Period Day 1, which is always the worst (heavy flow + uber-cramps), but everything went reasonably well, considering. Press was ridiculously ugly -- I was almost too embarrassed to link to the video. My issue is super obvious: still having a really hard time getting under the bar right away.

Double overhand hook grip! Be aware if/when you compete raw (USAPL) you can only have one layer of tape around your thumb. Found this out the hard way having to pull tape off my thumbs on the platform at my last meet.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrophy View Post
    Double overhand hook grip! Be aware if/when you compete raw (USAPL) you can only have one layer of tape around your thumb. Found this out the hard way having to pull tape off my thumbs on the platform at my last meet.
    Pretty sure it's 2 layers. Just don't go crazy with it.

Yep, melody is correct.
    "Two layers of medical tape may be worn around the thumbs. Medical tape or its like may not be
    worn anywhere else on the body without official permission of the Jury or Chief Referee.
    Medical tape may not be used as aids to the lifter in holding the bar"

Our region (Fl) is really strict on upholding raw guidelines. Which is cool. Only problem was the only way I could show that it was 2 layers was to take it off. They told me I should have reviewed with them during equipment check.

starting strength coach development program
    12/13/15:

Squat: 1x5 @ 175

Bench: 5,4,3 @ 89

Deadlift: 3x3 @ 225

Chins (black band): 8,7,7,6,6

1x5 PR for squats, and just a couple pounds shy of my PR single from the Fall Classic, which feels great. Pretty fast and smooth. Bench, on the other hand...ugh. Added a couple reps from last time, but...ugh.

It was cold outside but I wanted to wear my new bomb Moxy socks (early birthday present!) so I broke out the booty shorts. No regrets.

Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast