starting strength gym
Page 60 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: cmynhier's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    quite the plate collection you're getting!!
    Whooo! Benching 225 pounds for fahve was one of my main life goals in high school. Nice work, Chad!
    Thanks, guys. A two-plate bench was one of my original goals. It's fun to be doing this for a set of 5. Soon, I'll be doing two plates as a warmup. :-)

Default 2017/12/13 -- squats 5's

Link to current programming.

Squats:
    Warmup:
    45x15
    45x5
    135x5
    225x3
    275x1

Work:
    305x5
    305x5
    305x5

Guh. 5's day just takes it out of me. I might need to bump up the rest between these sets (currently 8 minutes). It's probably worth noting that this is the first time I've done 305x5x3. In my recent LP, I had moved to backoff sets by the time I got to 305, so this is legitimately hard.

Chins:
    3x7, 1x6, 1x5

I was shooting for 7x7. Like I said, the squats really took it out of me. I decided to skip DB rows, too, so the only thing left was:

Rower:
    3 minute warmup
    6 x :30/1:30
    2 minute cooldown
    Max HR: 166
    Avg HR: 147

Either I'm not pulling as hard as I was a few weeks ago, or my body is adapting to these. My max and average heart rates have been coming down a bit.

Default 2017/12/15 -- press ID, bench VD

Press ID:
    Warmup:
    45x10
    45x5
    75x5
    95x3
    105x1
    115x1

Work:
    122.5x5

Bench VD:
    Warmup:
    45x10
    45x5
    95x5
    135x3
    175x1

Work:
    200x5
    200x5
    200x5
    200x5
    200x5

Again, I managed to do each set on a single breath.

Dips:
    2x13
    1x14

I controlled myself and didn't AMRAP the first set, so I was able to make 3x13.

So, my 13-year-old son is expressing interest in getting strong. (I've been telling him I'm going to get him started lifting at some point, but I haven't actually been pushing it.) He talked to his gym teacher about this, and the gym teacher gave him a program to do at home. I guessed that it was going to be all kinds of wrong, and I was right -- DUP, percentage of 1RM on some lifts, RPE on other lifts, OHP being listed as accessory work, far too many assistance exercises. I explained to my son why all of this wrong ("How do you know what your 1RM is if you've never done a squat?") and explained what a proper novice program looks like. I'm going to have to figure out what to do about OHP, though. He's already taller than I am, and I have to be careful about positioning myself to avoid hitting the floor joists.

What I wouldn't give to be in his position, but at least I'll get to do some vicarious living. And this time around I'll make sure to get some pictures and measurements before he gets big. Another thing I wish I'd done before I started lifting. (Although I recently measured my upper arm at 15.5". Nothing impressive in this crowd, but that was my neck size back in college.)

could he do seated ohp on your bench? sure, it's not all 'kinectic chainey' and what not but if he's doing the squats and deads they will take care of the core

could he do seated ohp on your bench? sure, it's not all 'kinectic chainey' and what not but if he's doing the squats and deads they will take care of the core
    That was one thought, but I think I've come up with a better thought. I can put some cheap squat stands where I have the rowing machine set up, which isn't in the basement. It's in the "play room", a room that used to be a screened-in porch before some previous owner closed it off. My wife doesn't want me to expand any more into that room, but this meets that requirement, at least in a technical sense.

Default 2017/12/16 -- deadlift 5's

Light squats:
    Warmup:
    45x15
    45x5
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1

Work:
    255x3x5

No belt, on 2 minutes rest.

Deadlift:
    Warmup:
    135x5
    225x3
    315x1

Work:
    335x5
    335x5
    335x5

Guh. That's a bit of deadlift volume there. I've decided to skip SLDLs on 5's day. I don't think I really need the additional volume.

Rower:
    3 minute warmup
    6 x :30/1:30
    2 minute cooldown
    Max HR: 167
    Average HR: 148

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Mynhier View Post
    That was one thought, but I think I've come up with a better thought. I can put some cheap squat stands where I have the rowing machine set up, which isn't in the basement. It's in the "play room", a room that used to be a screened-in porch before some previous owner closed it off. My wife doesn't want me to expand any more into that room, but this meets that requirement, at least in a technical sense.
    and you're "doing it for the children!"

she can't possibly say no

that was good volume. what were you resting between those sets?

and you're "doing it for the children!"

she can't possibly say no

starting strength coach development program
    that was good volume. what were you resting between those sets?
    I've been doing 6 minutes between deadlift sets, but this time I did 8 minutes. I felt fatigued, and I wanted to make sure I got all my reps.