starting strength gym
Page 78 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: cmynhier's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    That deadlift PR was absolutely amazing. Hell of an effort.
    ^what he said! "What did you do today dear?" "Oh just a paused deadlift at 415..."

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDad View Post
    That deadlift PR was absolutely amazing. Hell of an effort.
    Thanks, PizzaDad. I usually get to that sticking point and can't get it any higher. I was pretty psyched when it started moving again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    ^what he said! "What did you do today dear?" "Oh just a paused deadlift at 415..."
    That pause was hardly intentional. But I have told my wife a dozen times or so since Friday that I deadlifted 415.

Default 2018/06/04 -- heavy bench (5's), light press

Bench:
    210x5
    210x5
    210x5

Back to bench press after a couple of months of focusing on the press. I had no idea if this would be a good weight, but it turned out to be just about right. It was heavy but doable.

Press:
    125x4 + 115x4
    115x8x2

I had planned to do 125x8x3, but that turned out to be overly optimistic. (A few weeks ago, I did 122.5x6x6, so it should have been obvious that 125x8x3 was too much.) I dropped that to 115, which was still pretty hard.

Just saw the 415 pull, Chad. Way to stick with it! You think presses were maybe even more compromised by the fact that you did 3 challenging sets of fahve on bench immediately prior?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Just saw the 415 pull, Chad. Way to stick with it! You think presses were maybe even more compromised by the fact that you did 3 challenging sets of fahve on bench immediately prior?
    Thanks, Adam. WRT presses: yeah, that was probably a significant contributing factor.

Default 2018/06/05 -- heavy squats, light deadlifts

Squats:
    335x5 -- 5-rep PR
    335x2+f
    315x5
    315x5

I'll admit it: I was "that guy" in the gym today, the one who doesn't understand physics. After the failed rep, I unloaded one side of the bar and, thinking to myself that I'd done this before and knew that nothing bad would happen, took off the final plate. Well, if I've done this in the past, the bar must have been balanced a bit differently. Sure enough, after I took that last plate off, my end of the bar tipped up and the other end crashed down. D'oh! I almost wish I'd caught it on video.

SLDL:
    255x8x2

This was scheduled to be 285x8x2, but it's been a couple of months since I did squats and SLDL on the same day. My warmups were much heavier than they should have been. As it was, 255 was pretty hard.

lol when i was in brazil i tried to work out in one of the hotel gyms, they had a very rudimentary bench pres station that i converted so i could do squats, very light weights only 60kg max or so. but what i failed to remember was that it was also a VERY light bar ( maybe at most 5 kg) so after one session i took off all the weights on one side thinking "hell it's only 20kg!" but that was enough that TIMBER! lol over she went. luckily it didn't land on anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    lol when i was in brazil i tried to work out in one of the hotel gyms, they had a very rudimentary bench pres station that i converted so i could do squats, very light weights only 60kg max or so. but what i failed to remember was that it was also a VERY light bar ( maybe at most 5 kg) so after one session i took off all the weights on one side thinking "hell it's only 20kg!" but that was enough that TIMBER! lol over she went. luckily it didn't land on anyone
    Well, at least I'll have good company while I'm sitting there in the corner with my dunce cap on.

Glad you weren't hurt by your inadvertent barbell catapult, but how was the barbell?!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Glad you weren't hurt by your inadvertent barbell catapult, but how was the barbell?!
    You're right, I forgot about the important part.

The barbell was fine. The little red beach bucket I kept chalk in was not so fortunate.