starting strength gym
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: DaveJF's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Monday, 2016-06-20: 4:20PM to 5:15PM.

BW: 207.2. Probably still a little dehydrated from outside work over the weekend.

Barbell Row: 135x5; 185x5; 225x5; 235x5; 245x5.
    Press: 45x5; 95x4; 135x3; 155x2; 175x8x3.
    Pause Bench: 135x5; 225x3; 285x5x3.

Good session today. For the Bench, I set the safety pins one notch higher to encourage keeping the arch tight and to pause on the right spot. Nicked the pins a couple of times on the last set, but it made most reps better I think.

Last sets each of Press and Pause Bench:

Nice work! Good call on the safety pins, that's what I was doing to maintain the proper arch. Keep up the good work as I have to live vicariously through others until July 6!

Wednesday, 2016-06-22: 4:15PM to 5:25PM.

BW: 206.6.

Squat: 135x5; 185x5; 225x5; 275x5; 325x5.
    Press: 45x5; 95x4; 135x3; 155x2; 190x2x5 [Speed Reps, E2MOM].
    Paused Dips: BWx5; BW+45x5; BW+100x5x3.

Fair session today but it was pretty hot and humid so I took a little longer between most sets than last Wednesday. Wore a belt for Dips to avoid the dip-belt straps digging in, and the belt lever sprung on the last set (don't think it affected anything though).

Last set each of Press and Paused Dips:

Agreed, that is some fantastic dip work! Have you found this to help your pressing?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    That dip work is awesome! Paused to boot.
    Thanks!

Question for ya.. Looks like you've have mentioned DHEA a few times on the boards.. Does DHEA seem to help out at all?

The goal w/ the whole training effort (along w/ diet) was to completely avoid any Rx whatsoever in the battle w/ diabeeetus. But, I've read that it can mess w/ DHEA levels a lot, and since it's categorized as more of a supplement I'm considering trying some out.. I'm thinking that there's little reason to be completely pedantic on the Rx thing for something w/ minimal risks.

Hell, maybe I should just see if there's a reasonably priced test out there and get myself tested first, but if you don't mind it would be great to hear your impressions of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcclamic View Post
    Agreed, that is some fantastic dip work! Have you found this to help your pressing?
    Thanks! Earlier on in the log when I avoided Bench b/c of the shoulder, I think it definitely contributed. Now that I can Bench again, I'm not sure if it's the best choice as Press assistance, but I think it's at least a good one. Bill Starr loved them for the Press.

It has a rep as mainly a triceps exercise, but for me it seems to hit chest and shoulders hardest, in that order, especially with more weight changing the COM a little bit (I'm guessing). Since it's a great all-around upper body builder I think in the end it will help out the Press plus it is a good general strength builder. That's my take on it anyhow..

I'll lead with a concise source on how to use it:

How to Increase DHEA Effects | LIVESTRONG.COM

I first figured out DHEA was worthwhile by combing through Jordan's forum looking for supplement recommendations. It seemed like DHEA popped up a few times with high regard. Then I saw that it was indeed banned by the WADA, so I figured I should look into it more.

From what I've learned over one complete cycle (on and off) is that it does seem to help with recovery and sleep. When "on" I feel less beat up. However, as a warning, when you cycle off, you might get a bit grumpy/moody in the first week, which dissipates. Goes away completely once the cycle repeats.

There are a few others around who've used it as well. I also supplement with BCAAs, chromium picolinate (specifically for the DHEA effects), ZMA (maybe this works? I dunno), and creatine.
    Thanks for the info! Interesting to note the tie-in w/ chromium picolinate along the other tie-in that has w/ diabeeetus... I will pick some Cr. Pico. up first, try it for a month and see if it has any effect on fasting sugar levels.

Protein supps, creatine and some fish oil is what I've stuck with. Regarding mood, fish oil really seems to improve that for me.

I feel that even anecdotally, when you run into heavy people with stick legs they have blood sugar problems, but I'm not sure if that is cause or effect.
    Hey, I resemble that remark, ha! I've been reading about the "central obesity" correlation, and have also noticed the same generally.

Monday, 2016-06-24: 4:50PM to 6:05PM.

BW: 208.2.

Barbell Row: 135x5; 185x5; 225x5; 245x5; 265x5.
    Press: 45x5; 95x4; 135x3; 155x2; 185x1; 205x5x2; 210x5; 215x3.
    Pause Incline: 135x5; 185x3; 225x1; 285x5x3.

Kind of a mixed bag today. Rows and Incline were pretty decent, and Press tonnage was the probably the highest in a long time, but not real happy w/ how the last Press set turned out. Was also pretty close to spent before the last set of Inclines, so those didn't move like I wanted. All-in-all, OK session though, and a fair amount of good volume I think. Still slowly gaining the weight back.

Last sets of Press and Paused Incline:

starting strength coach development program
    As I mentioned back in January, I've been disappointed when I'm reading thru a log and it apparently ends w/o a word as to why or what happened...

And for basically the same reasons as back then, I am going to put the log on hiatus for a while (nothing worrisome, just real busy).

Thanks for the comments, suggestions and support! Good lifting!!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast