starting strength gym

Thread: A Pirate Looks at 400

Default A Pirate Looks at 400

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Everyone,

I think I've just about milked my Novice Linear Progression for all it's worth so it's time to switch to an Intermediate program. A little background stuff to get out of the way,
    33 year old male
    258 lbs
    5'8"

Back in January, I weighed in at a round 294lbs. I knew I had to do something, but I kept putting it off. I always enjoyed lifting, so I figured I'd go back to the gym. I've run starting strength off and on before with various rates of success. I'd start and stop, or hop programs. I didn't really have any lifting goals when I started. It was just a way to get me in the gym and moving. I had some issues with my liver, due to my weight, which I've now cleaned up. Now that all that is behind me, the Goal is a 405x5 squat and then beyond. I kept a beginner log over in the General and I'll link it below. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results of this run of a bastardized version of starting strength.

Beginning March 30 Weight 288
    Squat 3x5 @ 95
    Bench 3x5 @ 95
    Press 3x5 @ 65
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 155

End August 15 Weight 258
    Squat 2x3 @ 385
    Bench 2x3 @ 240
    Press 3x5 @ 150
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 375

I'm going to use this week to lift, but decide which route I'm going to go with my intermediate programming. The idea of 531 appeals to me because of less time during individual sessions, but I'd only be squatting twice a week(squats as accessory on DL day). On the other hand, the texas method is a lot like starting strength in that it's simple, not a lot of variation, and most definitely works. Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Harry's Novice Log

You lost a lot of weight and gained even more in strength. That's awesome. Depending on how on point your recovery is, Texas may or may not be appropriate for you. There are plenty of HLM variations that could be more suitable. Refer to PPST3 and Andy Baker's numerous articles about HLM to get the idea behind it.