starting strength gym
Page 10 of 166 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Up 6-8 most of the first half, playing pretty bad basketball. I think I had about 8 points at halftime on drives but 0-3 from 3. All of a sudden they went on a late first half run and took a 6 point or so halftime lead. They had a guy that's usually decent get red hot from 3 all game. He had to have hit at least 6-8 on the night.

Anyway, second half is much of the same with us struggling to click, and dropping behind as much as 12. I was doing okay scoring, but not much else. Solid defense, a few rebounds in traffic. My basketball conditioning is terrible, and it showed without a sub. Our non basketball player G hustled his ass off and grabbed a few boards and wasn't a complete liability on defense. Offense was basically 2 on 4 though, me and new guy M, with D (guy from last years team) having a very off game. I pulled up a 3 right in my guys face to piss him off, then started going by him when he played up. With about 5 to go, we went on a nice run getting within a few points. We were down 2 when M got a good look down low that ended up hitting every part of the rim before bouncing out. Next trip down for opponent, they're trying to kill clock but D gets a good swipe on the ball to knock it off opposing players leg down on our side of the court.

I take a quick glance up at the clock, see 3.8 seconds, and run to half court only to see the entire defense back off onto their half of the court. Sweet. I turn around at half court, M over hands me an inbounds pass, I take 3 quick hard dribbles forward as 2 defenders charge me. I stop, pop from about NBA 3pt range maybe a foot or two further. Nothing but net. 42-41 win, 2-2 on the season.

I'm anxious to see what J can bring to the table next week. I should do much better knowing I have a sub on the bench if I need it. We need to play much much better as a team, have just 3 weeks to click before playoffs.

AM BW = 194.8 ... Probably lost a couple sweating out that game last night

Completed in just under 30m from first swuat warmup rep to last deadlift lockout:

Squat (M)
    +2.5 222.5x3x3
    Challenging.

SGDL
    +2.5 135, 185, 200x5
    Not challenging.

Press (I)
    +1.5 116.5x2x3
    Both felt like all out 3rm's.

Press (V)
    +1 105x2x5, x4, x5
    5th and 10th rep grindy. Short on time, couldn't rest more than 4m, failed 3rd set at forehead. Rested 5m and nailed 4th set with a slightly grindy 5th. Wanted to get chins in today instead of tomorrow plus I didn't feel a need for a 5th set. Gonna change something for next volume session.

Chins
    11x3
    Had 10 mins to finish up, so I did it AMRAP style.

Although I had shitty sleep all week, Fri and Sat night were decent. I ate more than normal on Friday and ate like a damn horse on Saturday...all primed up for a good squat session, right!?!?!? wrong...

Squat (H)
    255x2, 240x2, xF. 225x2x4
    Both warmup reps @225 flew and felt so light. Thought I'd at least get 255 for a triple with an outside shot at a tough 5. 1st rep was hard but okay, 2nd rep was an absolute grind with some likely minor form breakdown. Would have no shot at a 3rd. Again overestimated what I could get for some triples, as I could only get my 3rd rep about 4-5 inches out of the hole before putting it on the racks. I probably could have stood up with it if I let my form go to shit, but I tried to grind it out and just couldn't. Thought I might be able to get 2 sets of 5 at 225 and it just wasn't there, both 4 reps were serious grinds. Disappointed that I could only add 1 rep compared to 255 last Sunday, considering my conditions were about 1,000x better this week. Also got to lift in the AM and do my labor afterward as opposed to last week.

Deadlift
    300x5x1
    Happy with these. Hard but not max efforts. Switched my supinated hand each time and rested about 3m between reps.

I think this session took me a solid 90m if not more. Loaded like 7 or 8 wheelbarrows full of rocks around houses, into and out of the truck and laid them all out. And I'm probably going to play pickup ball tonight.

Damn, my double off day and I'm buried to page 5. Good lifting and log updating everyone!

AM BW = 194.6 (s/m/t was 197ish so I was surprised to see this)

Lifted around 10:00am:

Press (V)
    +1.5 106.5x8x3
    Some programming changes. Moving to triples for volume for now. Doing V press on W and I press on Sa. instead of both twice per week. Bench press as accessory lift for now. We shall see how it goes. This was done with about 3m rest between sets and no grinders...just under 25m total to complete worksets.

Bench
    135x3x8
    Harder than I anticipated, even considering I haven't benched in a couple weeks. Should get better quickly. Just plan on keeping this light and accessory like for the time being...something silly like 3x8 after every pressing session week 1, 3x9 week 2, 3x10 week 3, etc. until 3x12 then microloading and doing it again.

Chins
    3x7
    Hard. Barely made the 21st. I feel like I have to work so hard on chins just to not regress, despite losing weight.

Game tonight 8:45pm. Full new team will be there and we're all excited. We've been group texting about overemphasizing ball movement to all get a feel for each other. 3 games to gel then playoff time.

Now we're talking...

For the first time all year, we played some basketball. Granted, other team wasn't great (they were missing a couple of their guys) and played with no sub. They had one very good player, one okay player, one pretty weak player, and a big guy who could grab boards and a decent shooting stroke and passer but not much else. We keyed our defense in on the very good player obviously, he probably dropped 35-40% of their points. Our new guy, J, was pretty much how he described himself...solid defender (he's a lanky 5'11" but decent quickness and hops), solid ball handler, passer, feel for the game. Can get to the rim and finish on occasion, not much of a jump shot.

It made a huge difference having a sub. I took a much needed 2-3m rest each half. When J rested I guarded the good player. I think he only got one bucket on me in 5 or so minutes. Other than losing my shooting stroke in the 2nd half, I had a solid overall game. Really tried to play facilitator and set guys up and only get my shot if I had a very high % opportunity. Went 2-2 in the first half from 3, 0-4 in the 2nd for my second straight 2-6 game for deep. Not good at all for my standard but can't complain too much considering the lack of practice. Had 16 total with some nice moves to the rim and a floater from just inside the free throw line. Only 2 pt shot I missed was a 16ft pull up that was halfway down. So 5-6 there and 7-12 overall. Had at least 3-4 highlight reel assists plus some other solid assists. Like I said, tonight was about getting us established together. I played a decent floor general, and so did J.

D hit his shots (had to have at least 4 or 5 3pt makes) but he was pissed at himself for missing 3 or 4 good layup looks. M definitely led us in scoring tonight though. Really got his shot going, especially in the 2nd half. G did his job off the bench by hustling for rebounds and keeping balls alive, fouling guys down low hard to prevent any easy buckets, missed his 3 layup opportunities but that's okay, he just needs to take his time and not get anxious.

We took an early lead and never looked back. i was pushing our guys to keep playing hard and try to get our lead from 8 to 15 by halftime, which we did (16). They started the second half 8-0, we subbed G out, took a 6-0 run of our own and never looked back, pushing the lead as high as 20+.

Final score: 59-42.

One thing about playing with the strength training, is I can jump noticeably higher to grab boards and contest shots. My vertical has always been piss poor, so it's kind of nice feeling adaquate in that department. My conditioning felt better, but not sure how much of that was being able to sub out. Before next season, I'm definitely going to be doing some conditioning, but I should be alright by playoffs.

AM BW = 194.2

In under 30 minutes:

Squat
    210x3x3
    Pretty easy. Needed a small reset here as 220+ was getting pretty tough the morning after bball. This will put me back around 220 by the end of the season. Also hopefully will allow for a better heavy day on Sunday.

SGDL
    +2.5 135, 185, 202.5x5

Near 2 mile walk on the boardwalk with 30lb+ backpack...beautiful spring day.

BW been 194.2 for like 3-4 straight days now. Sleep was good Thursday and Friday night.

Press (I)
    +1 117.5x5x1
    These were much harder than expected. Thought it would be a nice reprieve coming off triples with just a 1 lb increase. Went on about 2-3m rest and reps 3,4,5 were grinders with the 5th maybe even getting red lighted due to downward motion.

Bench
    135x3x8
    Much easier than Wedsnesdays reintroductory bench session. Right shoulder felt like 95%...just some very very minor discomfort.

Chins
    3x5, 2x6
    Actually felt strong on these which was nice for a change.

Carb loaded yesterday so ambw was 196+. Started lifting 30m after waking up on just a bowl of Cheerios and milk (yesterday too)

Squat (H)
    225x2x5, x4
    Disappointing. A plan hit me to do ascending sets instead of descending, so that I can see where I'm at for the day and adjust accordingly, given all of my variables right now. Well, expected to smoke 225 and then go up from there, but it clearly wasn't the case today. 5th rep was grindy. 9th and 10th were both grindy (10th very). Really no reps were fast today other than the 1st of each set. 13th was tough, 14th was grindy, probably would have had a 50/50 shot at a 15th but I chickened out.

Deadlift
    280x2x3
    Someone explain to me how 2 weeks ago when I pulled triples I did all 6 at 275 DOH no problem, but today I couldn't break the bar more than an inch off the floor, and had to go mixed grip for all 6. At least they were fairly easy after that. My wife walked through the garage on my second set and said it looked like my eyes were going to pop out of my head. I told her those weren't even really difficult. No wonder most people don't do this shit. I seem to have a decent thing going with this lift where I alternate weeks between 2 triples and 5 singles. Have felt strong pulling for like 3-4 weeks straight now. I think no sets of 5 and no backoffs are helping me right now. Videoed the second set and was happy to confirm that my back stayed perfectly flat. I forgot to wear my belt for the first set, but I really don't notice much of a difference with or without it for pulls.

Conditioning
    Hours of hauling and wheel barreling rocks and various yard work.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Carb loaded yesterday so ambw was 196+. Started lifting 30m after waking up on just a bowl of Cheerios and milk (yesterday too)

Deadlift
    280x2x3
    [I]Someone explain to me how 2 weeks ago when I pulled triples I did all 6 at 275 DOH no problem, but today I couldn't break the bar more than an inch off the floor, and had to go mixed grip for all 6. At least they were fairly easy after that.
    I can hardly even hold a pencil 30m after I wake up! Takes my body a while to get into rhythm and it's definitely my dexterity that lags. My tap test score is embarassing until noon, usually.

Page 10 of 166 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast