starting strength gym
Page 12 of 166 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Still about 90% - not very good sleep this weekend.

Squat
    45x5, 95x5, 135x1
    Right groin hurting during every squat. Felt like something I would regret pretty quickly if I tried pushing through it. It's been slightly sore the last few squat workouts but would go away as I progressed through warmups. No idea why it started and I never feel it at all outside of squatting, not even during basketball.

Deadlift
    +5 305x5x1
    Hard but not quite my max right now. Few min rest between reps.

Can't wait to cut all this bullcrap and try to get strong(er) this summer.

Airdyne
    5 x 20:140
    2nd and 3rd sprints saw the RPMs go as high as 97. 4th and 5th I hit like 95 but couldn't maintain it for the full 20 s. Got into low 90s maybe even 88 by the end. Did manage to keep my ass on the thing for a cool down afterward, which is an improvement. Still a lot of work to do on these. Think I'd like to be able to maintain 100% effort for all 5 sprints before adding a 6th.

Nice! I found one on "varagesale" around here which is kind of like a cross between CL and etsy. Hoping to buy it this week, I won't tell you how much does rpm tell the whole story or does it track other stuff? I guess if resistance increases with rpm then that's probably all you need to know.

PS had our kid! Fatherhood is the best. But you were right, time to get back under the bar, and everyone agrees. Yesterday my neighbor was backhoeing at 5:30 pm as we were trying to enjoy our mothers day and I just started talking about 'how much I fucking hate that guy' etc. My wife was like, 'you know, if you want to start working out again thats fine with me!'

It tracks calories and distance but I'm not really worried about anything other than Maintaining maximal effort. I'm just putting the RPMs for fun really.

Congrats on the baby!!! It's amazing watching them develop before your eyes, and they only get more and more fun as they learn new tricks and grow into their personality. I hope for you and your wife's sake that he/she (can't remember if you ever said one way or the other what you were having) ends up being a good sleeper!

Ambw = 193.2

Press (V)
    100x5x5
    Hard with some grindy 5th's but nothing all out. 1st set the toughest.

Bench
    135x3x10
    Kept feet in narrower than usual due to fear of aggravating groin so I wasn't quite as stable. 30th all out grinder. 3-4m rest.

Chins
    3x6
    Just don't have the energy to try to push these after all that pressing volume.

Playoff bracket set. We have the last game of the first round @7:45pm. We have a pretty good draw playing team Orange who really only has one good player. As long as we focus our D on making things tough for him, the game shouldn't be close. Second round would be against winner of yellow vs. green. Outside of us and white, these are the 3rd and 4th best teams in the league, but green had some of their better players not show up the last couple weeks so they lost their last 2 to fall all the way to 6th seed. Unless green has a hot shooting night, I expect to play yellow in the semi's. That was the team it took me dropping 40 against to beat, but M and D had very off shooting nights. With Ja back, it should be interesting. More gaining chemistry on the fly. Ja has not played with M yet. Things I'm hoping for tonight:

-I get nice and warm and completely forget about the groin tweak
    -D (calf) and Jo (ankle) are both able to play and just give us something on the court

It's most likely going to be myself, M, and Ja working a 3 man game most of the night. Hope we can start out by blowing orange away and get some nice rest time in the first round while G plays most of the second half for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Ambw = 193.2

Things I'm hoping for tonight:

-I get nice and warm and completely forget about the groin tweak
    -D (calf) and Jo (ankle) are both able to play and just give us something on the court

It's most likely going to be myself, M, and Ja working a 3 man game most of the night. Hope we can start out by blowing orange away and get some nice rest time in the first round while G plays most of the second half for us.
    good luck tonight bud! do whatever it takes to take the pain off that groin. look forward to hearing how it goes

Groin felt fine.

Won the first round - not competitive we were much better than them.

Lost in the semis. Yellow got up 10 on us with 8 to go and just played clock kill. Ridiculous and not basketball. They essentially beat us in a 12 minute game. Told the league director there better be a shot clock next year. Bringing in Ja ruined our flow. First time all playing together and I don't like the makeup at all. It will be different next season.

3rd place since we had a better record than the other team that lost in the semis. I'm tired and going to sleep now.

Edit: I made myself feel better by staying and heckling yellow the entire time as they lost to white in the final.
    Last edited by Agilic; 05-11-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Squat
    45x5, 95x3
    After a few min warmup on airdyne, although I felt the right groin just a little on empty bar squats, thought I'd be fine. Wrong, hurt at 95 lbs. Weird that squats are the only time I feel it. If it's not ready to go by Sunday, maybe I'll just do a whole bunch of reps at 45 lbs and work up from there?

SGDL
    +2.5 135x5, 185x5, 210x2x5
    Threw in an extra set to try to make up for not squatting yet again. Easy and fast. Need to order some straps for these.

Ambw = 193.2

Airdyne
    5 x 20:140
    Actually hit 100 rpm on the second sprint but never came close again. Only hit 89 or 90 on the 5th and the last 2 again really weren't maintained for the full 20 seconds. May need to just add a 6th sprint and keep plugging along the best I can. Staying on the bike for a longer cool down helps minimize some of the pain and suffering afterward.

starting strength coach development program
    Ran out of time to lift yesterday due to getting tons of yard work and landscaping done. Rare that I miss a session but I combined it with today's so it's not really a miss.

Squat
    45x5, 95x5, 135x2
    Made it a little further than last time, but right groin still not quite having it. Was pressed for time today, but if it's not good by Thursday I'm going to try a whole bunch of empty bar squats.

Press (I)
    +1.5 111.5x5x1
    1st 2 reps felt like rpe 9.5, last 3 felt like 8.5. Only a min or 2 rest between reps.

Deadlift
    +5 285x2x3, 245x5
    Triples were hardish but not max, backoff set was DOH and super easy. Only threw it in there since I'm not squatting atm.

Bench
    135x2x8, 135x10
    Felt harder than usual, probably because I just deadlifted. Not really too worried about this until I start running my LP again. Just getting my swole on. Long rest periods allowed for 10 on last set. Would like to have this up to 3x12 by LP time.

Will probably try to get some chins in tomorrow before the airdyne.
    Last edited by Agilic; 05-15-2016 at 01:19 PM.