• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Marking my calendar for this event! Can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Press felt weak then bench felt strong.

Press (V)
    +1 102.5x5x5
    Damn...how does 112.5 go for a triple and 10% less is basically a 5rm. Didn't have a 6th rep in me at any point, and like 3 5th reps were all out grinders. 4m rest for first 3 sets then 6m for last 2.

Bench
    135x3x10
    Best these have felt since benching again. Took a few minutes rest after pressing and had extra rest before 2nd set because my son woke up from his nap. Had a little gas in the tank on all 3 sets.

Chins
    2x7, 6
    Shorter rest than usual.

189.something

Squat
    175x3x5
    Allow me to explain. Empty bar I kinda felt my right groin again a little, 95 lbs - eh okay, it's there but it should loosen up. 145x1 = nope, not happening. So I lasted all of 2 squat workouts and it randomly decided to bother me some. Was doing some high rep empty bar sets with normal stance (felt fine) while doing some searching on the forums. Found Rip advising a narrow toes forward stance to rehab a groin strain (with a weight you can handle while still hitting depth), while progressively working it wider and more toes out each session until your back to normal stance. Ended up at 175 (not too difficult) with my deadlift stance. Right groin would twinge just a little on each first rep and then be fine for the last 4. I think this means I have it right because Rip did say if the groin doesn't hurt a little you're not rehabbing it. So the plan now is to go a little wider each session, and hopefully be ready for normal stance by LP time.

SGDL
    +2.5 135, 185, 215x5
    Easy except the grip is getting tough. Still need to remember to order some straps.

190.something

Airdyne
    7 X 20:140
    Pushed them all hard...was very difficult to push through last couple and I got very lightheaded after the 7th to the point of closing my eyes for 10 seconds and hearing ringing in my right ear. Think my body needs to get used to working in the heat again and I need to hydrate better beforehand. I would be very curious to play a game of basketball right now and see how much/if my conditioning is better from these.

Started lifting within 20m of waking up on 16oz of Gatorade...felt strong today though.

Press (I)
    +1.5 114x3x2
    Each 2nd rep felt easier than the first. Second and third sets better than first. Definitely had some room in the tank on these.

Bench
    135x3x10
    Had room in the tank on the first 2 sets but going on short rest made the 3rd set real hard. Next upper body session I'm going to start my LP on this at 140x3x5, and going up 5 lbs should put me around 160 for official start of LP.

Chins
    8x4
    Pretty short rest, felt strong. Maybe 15m to get them all done, 20 tops.

Woke up, 20 oz. Gatorade, lift.

Squat
    175x3x5
    Weight was really easy. Thought better of pushing the weight up right now, want the only variable to be stance until groin is good. Groin hurt all through warmups, then just a tiny bit on the first workset, and absolutely fine for the second workset. Rippetoe is a smart fucking man. Stance was about 40% between deadlift and normal squat stance. Pushed it a little further to 50% for the 3rd set and still didn't feel the groin at all. Awesome. I'm thinking 1 or 2 more squat sessions and I should be back to normal hopefully and transition right into my starting weight for LP.

Deadlift
    +5 290x2x3
    These were really easy. I definitely had 5 in me but I opted to stick with the plan because clearly this rotation of singles and triples every other week has been working great. Of course not being able to squat heavy for 3 weeks or so could be a factor in the latest progression, but it's been working well for a while now.

Airdyne
    7 x 20:140
    Probably did like 90%+ of the 140s of sprints at 95+ rpm (max 98). Where do I go from here? Try to add more sprints? Try to keep adding intensity to these sprints? Try to lower rest times/increase sprint times?

Ever consider adding BCAAs to that pre-workout Gatorade, especially since you train first thing in the morning? I believe Jordan recommends this in the nutrition sub-forum. I know they might seem expensive. I justify the expense based on how hard older guys like me seem to have to work at protein intake. There was a scientific paper an SSC committee reviewed that talked about how critical post-training BCAAs were for better results for older people.

I used BCAA's for a month or so, maybe 2, and didn't notice much of a difference really. I typically have time to eat a good meal before I train but the times that I don't, my performance doesn't seem to suffer much, if at all. If I felt weak or tired when I have to train on an empty stomach then I would definitely try it, but I think my workouts being on the shorter side helps.

starting strength coach development program
    I could be way off but I don't think it's as necessary to work on a 'progression' with the sprints, just have to show up and do them. That said you could definitely add more, maybe do 3 clusters of 3 or 4? Or get a cheapie heart rate monitor and work on sustaining a certain HR for 20s.