starting strength gym
Page 18 of 166 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Away for 4 days. Plan was to lift Saturday with Tooch but that got squashed. Only exercise was a 5 mile walk yesterday pushing my napping son in his stroller up and down huge hills. Ate a lot, as you are about to see.

BW = 193.8

Squat
    +5 225x3x5
    Everything is going to be belted now. First 2 sets were heavy, third set was better after I got angry and aggressive.

Bench
    +5 170x3x5
    Solid, but 5th reps slowed down enough to where I'm going to microload.

Deadlift
    +10 305x5
    Left hand sup. Very heavy, definitely my last 10 lb jump.

Good to be back in the flow...Airdyne tomorrow.

Edit: forgot to note that sleep was horrible up there (son was sick + in a foreign environment)...also moved a bunch of heavy furniture on Saturday....so between those 2 things plus the long ass hilly walk, I think may feel stronger Weds and Fri if I'm able to snag some good zzzz's
    Last edited by Agilic; 06-27-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Assuming you don't walk or hike regularly, do you find it's easier than it was before you started strength training? I ask because I hiked a lot before I took up training. Then I stopped hiking. When I took it up again, it surprised me how easy a 15 mile day hike on the Appalachian Trail was.

Well I've been walking my son either in a backpack or stroller since I started strength training so it's hard to say. However, it is completely flat where I live so I was surprised how I could easily power up these large hills only getting mildly fatigued in the quads and hamstrings. I'm sure if I walked those hills regularly I would adapt much quicker than if I didn't train. I did do a bunch of jogging in the past (without any strength training) so I may for shits and giggles try to get out and run a 5k one day and see if I can match or even beat my old times from my running days. That would be interesting.

However, while I'm much stronger than I was (not saying much) I still am not strong at all and have a lot of work to do this year in that regard.

193.2 this am

Airdyne
    7 X 20:140
    Strongest session to date with all sprinting done 95-99 rpm. Only mildly contemplated suicide afterward. Heart rate manually measured after first sprint at 150 bpm and after the last sprint, 168 bpm.

Afternoon lift instead of morning..sleep was crap last 2 nights should be better next 2.

Squat
    +5 230x3x5
    Easier than 225. Made easy work of it. Form was dialed in and bar was moving. Guess that 4 day break before 225 was no Bueno and I still need the frequency.

Press
    +2.5 105x3x5
    Pretty easy also. First few reps of each set were flying like warm-ups. 5th reps slowed down some but never in doubt.

Chins
    +1.25 3x5 w/ 13.75 lbs

Do you ever get to nap during the day, when your child is napping?

Nope, when he naps is when I have a chance to lift. Evening cardio:

Kayak
    About a 15 minute maiden voyage with my Father's Day gift. 13.5 ft 1,2, or 3 person kayak so we can go together and put our son in the middle. Tonight was just me.

ambw 189.4

Only posting this because I'm utterly confused at how I dropped 4.4 lbs since Monday. I figured some of that rapid gain while away was water weight and that I'd come down a lb or 2, but never expected to see anything near this low again. I really feel like I have been eating. Guess I need more milks.

Not sure what scale you use, but my damn Fitbit scale might give me different weights over 5 or more tries in a row.

starting strength coach development program
    I picked one up off amazon for like 30 or 40 bucks that had good reviews, and it's 100% consistent to 1/5 of a lb.

Good sleep last 2 nights, in bed by 8:30pm!

Squat
    +5 235x3x5
    Heavier than 230 by a good bit. 5th reps slowed down noticeably but not really grinders. Sneaking up toward PR territory now.

Bench
    +5 175x3x5
    Was debating in my head since yesterday between 2.5 and 5 lb jump. Went with the latter and got em, although 5th reps were grinders, with 15th being all out. Easy choice now to start microloading. I'm already well past my previous bench LP's. PRs on Int. Programming were 185x5 and 200x3, although at much higher bw.

Deadlift
    +5 310x5
    Warm-ups up to 285x1 doh, although it was a questionable lockout due to grip. Right hand sup for worksets, and it was all out effort for 5th rep. Actual weight lifted was 313.6, which ties my 5rm.