starting strength gym
Page 26 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I mean at the top, chin getting over the bar. Yeah, I don't utilize stretch reflex at all. I make sure I'm all the way down for at least a full second before starting the next one.

Squat (H)
    +5 250x3x5
    Heavy and a little grindy, but held form pretty solid. I need to get used to just my son and I again and plan better, as I woke up at 7, and trained at 11:15 basically on an empty stomach. Chugged a Gatorade after the first set and the second 2 weren't quite as bad, but still tough.

Got chins done yesterday, so this was it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    told the wife, hey, about to go for a PR deadlift, 350. Her response: "ok. Don't wake up our son." Oh well. I'm just going to run up singles as high as I can now.[/I]
    Lol - I know those feelz. That's the same level of enthusiasm my wife has for what I'm doing.

She doesn't understand why I don't just spend the time that I lift to do more yardwork if I want to get a "work out".

4.5 h sleep b2b nights. Tuesday's and Wednesday's are rough, but the rest of the nights I should manage at least 6, sometimes 7 or 8.

Airdyne
    7 x 20:120
    Went too hard on the middle sprints (97-98 rpm) and had nothing left for the last one, which was sub 90 rpm.

Last night, I happened to run into the best player and point guard from the yellow team who beat us in the semi-final last year, and he recruited me to play with them next year. I told him he had a full roster of 7 and there's at least 1 guy from my team who I want to play with again, so he said he'd drop some guys to make it work. They played really hard, especially on defense, and most importantly, worked as a team, and We think bringing in my shooting and scoring could make it a really good team, so I think I'm going to do it.

Press (I)
    +1.5 126.5x2x3
    New 3rm! These were absolute balls to the wall 3rm's. 3rd reps took serious grinds and a little layback (slightly less on the 2nd set) to get them. I think moving to 5 singles across for intensity day would be smarter than trying to grind out another 3rm.

Bench (V)
    +2.5 157.5x3x8
    Much easier than 155. No grinds at all.

Chins
    6x5

201.8 - curious. Ate a ton last couple days

Squat (M)
    +5 255x3x3
    Closer to heavy than medium. Probably only had 4 reps in me per set. I definitely cannot squat heavy 72 hours after a heavy 3x5 squat.

Deadlift
    +5 355x1, 285x5
    Very heavy and on the slow side, but probably not quite my 1rm.

Walking outside a bunch and playing with my son at the park for over an hour in the humidity may have a small effect on this workout not being the strongest. But the weights went up, so I'll take it!

203.8 - more like it. Felt pretty beat down going into my 2 day rest period, so I ate a ton, including some junk

Bench (I)
    +2.5 187.5x4, xF
    Pissed. Would have been a 5rm and I really wanted it. 4th was grindy and never had a realistic shot at #5, but I did manage to get it maybe 3-4 inches off my chest. Against my better judgement, I may reattempt this next week.

Press (V)
    +1 112.5x4, xF. 4x5
    1st set the worst, as usual for the press. Was grooving them fine, just didn't have the strength for #5. I rested plenty after bench, and used all my rage from 2 failed sets to get all 5 for the next 4. I wanna give this another crack next week too.

Chins
    1x5 w/ +22 lbs. 1x5 and 1x4.5 w/ +19.5 lbs
    5th rep on top set was like 98% locked out. Couldn't complete last rep of backoffs. Think I'll just move up in weight and give 3x3 a whirl on chins.

Squat (H)
    +5 255x2x5, x3, xF
    I don't even know what to say at this point. First 2 sets took pieces of my soul to grind through. Gave it my all on the 3rd set, aNd could barely move the 4th rep out of the hole after grinding the 3rd. Eating, gaining, haven't squatted heavy in a week, primed and ready for a good day. It doesn't matter how positive I am going into every session, I never have a good one. I'm sick of this shit. As a 6' under 30 male, weekly progress is too much to ask for at these weights, while gaining weight? Instead of a long winded rant, I'll leave it at that.

I think the game changer for me, that allowed moving past ~235-240 was back off sets...and putting them sooner than when it got to be a real grind, I think I started around 200x5, 180x5x2. The only other factors was maybe slightly more weight gain than I think you have had (~7-10 pounds) and I started creatine, but I think that's mostly just made my chest look a little bigger rather than affect squats, but who knows.

starting strength coach development program
    I may just have to try that again. When I was doing LP and increasing twice per week I was doing backoffs, but I'd be concerned that squatting heavy once a week that only one truly heavy work set per week won't be enough to drive adaptation, but shit, I have nothing to lose at this point by trying.