starting strength gym
Page 3 of 166 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post

I'm sort of starting to feel a little beat up and like an entire light week might do me some good. I may actually hold the title of worst male squatter on the forums.
    not even the squats from 4 years ago bud! You got some ass kickin form. I would be curious how a light day would do for you rather than h/m. I know you expressed concern for your b/f%, could you just add in more light squats for reps rather than those med squats? It'd be a killer

Quote Originally Posted by davetooch View Post
    not even the squats from 4 years ago bud! You got some ass kickin form. I would be curious how a light day would do for you rather than h/m. I know you expressed concern for your b/f%, could you just add in more light squats for reps rather than those med squats? It'd be a killer
    Eh, I think doing more reps would defeat the purpose of a light day. Otherwise, I'd have to go so light that it wouldn't do anything as a strength stimulus which is still my main lifting goal. I have a feeling the pulls alone on Sunday are plenty for me to try to recover from by Thursday, especially considering mon/tues night are always my worst for sleep.

Press (I)
    +2.5 122.5x2x3
    Was dialed in on form and very psyched up and focused to set my 3rd straight 5rm, but the 4th wouldn't get past my nose. Did a second solid triple.

Bench (V)
    +2.5 152.5x3x8
    Easier than the first time doing 8's, almost like my body adapted or something. Tested out my new 3" DL belt for these which actually felt a little better, really excited to try it for my pulls tomorrow.

Deadlift
    350xf, 275x2x3
    Slept crappy all weekend....tried to get pulls in quick on minimal food...really had no business attempting 350 based on how 315 felt but I really wanted it. Wouldn't even budge off the floor. Also was my first time pulling with new 3" DL belt (have been pulling belt less).

Squat
    215x3x3

Chins
    7x4

So I think the overall lack of sleep + testing out some lower carb non lifting days + new 4 day programming has all caught up to me and I'm overdue for a light week. I haven't taken a deload week since beginning lifting June 2015 and I'm definitely feeling a little under recovered right now. Probably just going to work up to triples short of my 5rms for each lift this week, and hopefully come back strong!

Choppy little light session as son is cutting some more teeth and not napping well. Keeping it very low stress this week but it still felt nice to get a little work in. It's tough not to push myself but I hope this week proves beneficial. Knowing my body, I'll probably detrain.

Press
    110x3x3

Bench
    170x3x3

Chins
    +7.5 lb 1x3, BWx3x6
    Frustrated by the weighted. I ran up to like +15 lb no problem last time....will probably just focus on BW chins until I can do a solid 10 or so.

Light week cont...

Squat
    215x3x3
    Trying to fix my gaze and look slightly in front of me instead of basically straight down. Felt weird but a little better by my 3rd set...doesn't help I have to face a wall while I squat.

SGDL
    135, 175, 205, 235x5
    Top set was tougher than squats were...already getting tough to hang onto double overhand...wondering if these would be safe to mix grip when necessary or if I should be ordering some straps.

Final session of light week, done Fri instead of Saturday due to sons 1st bday party tomorrow. Hope 4 days between upper body sessions doesn't make me rusty and hope to have a strong fresh pulling session on Sunday.

Press
    110x5

Bench
    170x5

Deadlift
    305x5, 275x5
    4th and 5th reps were tough but my buddy said bar speed didn't slow down much at all. He also said my back stayed pretty flat. I chose to reset to this weight because it is my previous 5rm, so hopefully 310 goes up smoothly next week for a new 5rm.

Squat (L)
    205x2x5
    Super easy at it should be. Stoked to see how 250 goes on Thursday - really hoping the light week gave me a nice refresher.

Chins
    8x4

Bench (I)
    185x4
    Of course regression. I think the plan will be to go all the way down to 175 and work back up AMRAP. After getting a little further along in PPST3, I'm almost positive that my press and bench stalled where they did because I wasn't being aggressive enough on volume day for each lift. I will correct that this time and expect to bust through my PRs eventually.

Press (V)
    107.5x5x5
    Gonna make V day PRs a little more of a priority and make sure I don't let the load get much under 90% of I if any. It just becomes difficult to judge whether to increase or not when the I day reps go under 5.

Chins
    3x6

starting strength coach development program
    Have you ever done any dips? I looked through your LP log briefly and I didn't see any. For me they really keep the groove greased and unless I go way overboard I never feel like they affect the next pressing day -- if anything they keep me ready for it.

I've been reading a lot lately (in lieu of actual performance of course) and I think you are right on the pressing volume goals. Careful on the lower body though -- Anthony King and a few others have a good thread going that you'd like: http://startingstrength.com/resource...-day-40yo.html.
    Andy also has a really interesting reply to a volume question here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...e-mistake.html If I'm not mistaken I think he's recommending the Friday work as intensity, not "light". So like an H-L progression but actually V-I. Interesting.

Page 3 of 166 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast