starting strength gym
Page 62 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Airdyne
    14 x 10:50
    Felt fucking great. All sprints 95-96 rpm and rest periods held between 40-42 rpm. Really curious if/how much all this Airdyne conditioning work is going to translate to the basketball court. First game a week from tomorrow.

Sleep has been getting a little better of late with youngest starting to semi sleep through the night...until last night I only slept a few hours. Completely exhausted and very close to going to bed at 8pm but forced myself to the garage instead.

Squat
    290x3, 260x5x3
    +5 lb on triple, @10. Backoffs felt solid after messing up the middle set last week.

Press
    130x2x2, 125x4, 115x6
    2nd reps were fast and for some reason just couldn't budge the third reps past my nose, very strange. Gonna chalk this up to poor sleep and try to get more reps next week at same weights.

Chins
    4x4

Airdyne
    8 x 20:100
    Pretty strong. 91-93 rpm sprints and 40-42 rpm rest.

So my whole basketball team dropped for various reasons. May be too late at this point to get picked up by one of the competitive teams but I may play anyway with the free agent scrubs. Didn't play last season so I have the itch.

Bench
    210x3, 197.5x5, 187.5x8
    Triple moved well.

Deadlift
    360x3, 320x7

Dips
    5,5,5 w/ +45 lbs

So evidently the Airdyne does not translate much to the basketball court at all which is disappointing. Maybe having that conditioning baseline will at least allow me to condition more quickly to basketball by playing basketball than I otherwise would.

Game 1 recap: 51-70 loss (0-1)

Played a good team who is a championship contender every year. They had all 7 guys show up and we only had 4 (I knew 2 couldn't make the first week and the other had a family emergency and couldn't get there til halftime.). I was gassed just a few minutes into the game and really had to pace myself to make it through. Couldn't do nearly what I wanted to on the court. Glad to get the first game out of the way. We had one guy throw up about 4 minutes into the game and continued for most of the game, but he battled his way through it and mostly just stayed back on defense. All things considered, we have a lot to work on, but at least we didn't get completely blown out, and I still have my jumper. I'm hoping next game will be much better especially having 2 subs available right from the beginning.

If anyone is interested again this season I can do detailed player breakdowns and game recaps.

Another Thursday night where I didn't sleep well/much.

Squat
    295x2, 265x5x2
    Maybe should have tried the third rep for a would be 3rm. Think it was 55/45 I could have grinded it out. Oh well, almost took a medium squat day since I was so sore from first bball game last night, so I'm happy with this. Backoffs were locked in and hard, but smooth.

Press
    132.5x3x2, 125x4. 115x6
    Presses felt a little weird/off today. Might be because of some weird strain I could feel behind my right shoulder when buckling my lifting belt. Must be from bball. Did manage to turn 132.5 into triples from doubles, but no extra reps on 2 backoff sets compared to last week.

Chins
    4x4

Main focus now is bball but I'll probably try to push for strength gains this summer when bball is over and hopefully my youngest is fully sleeping through the night.

Airdyne
    15 x 10:50
    Sprints 95+ rest 42+

Bench
    212.5x3, 200x5, 190x7
    3rm and it was pretty fast!

Deadlift
    365x2, 320x7
    Really wanted the 3rm. Got the third rep 3-4 inches off the ground but it just wouldn't go any higher.

Dips
    4,4,4 w/ +47.5 lb

Recovery day and then bball game #2 Thurs night. Should be much better with a full team but I'm hoping my conditioning is noticeably improved from week 1.

Game 2: 35-33 W (1-1)

Due to unfortunate circumstances, for the second straight week we had no sub for the first half and 1 sub for the second half vs. a team with 3 subs for all 30 min. We kept the pace slow in the first half, played pretty solid D throughout, had a bad shooting night overall as a team. We were definitely the better team and win this game easily with a full roster or an average shooting night. I missed a bunch of open 3's I normally make, plus some contested ones and finished 2-8 from 3 and 4-11 overall with 10 points. Conditioning was a little better but still a long ways to go.

Not bad for our second game together, I think we'll be alright. Need some nice weather so I can get outside and shake the rust off my jumper.

starting strength coach development program
    Didn't sleep well, exhausted, late start, wanted to get done fairly quickly so I took a medium squat day.

Squat
    250x5x2

Press
    134x2x2, x1. 125x4, 115x7
    What was supposed to be the third double I couldn't stop coughing after the taking a deep breath for second rep.

Chins
    4x4

Just kinda doing whatever til the end of basketball then I'll try to get stronger......