starting strength gym
Page 8 of 166 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hold the phones folks...I'm off work for a long weekend, so slept like 10 hours last night, indulged on massive amounts of calories and carbs last night (lots of family in town = awesome food available), and BOOM! I had a great session today. I wonder if anybody has looked into the effect that sleeping and calories have on recovery?? Or maybe (not likely, but hopeful) the BCAA's are starting to show an effect after nearly 2 weeks of use now.

Press (I)
    +1 110x5
    Solid and clean. Maybe had like a 10% chance at a 6th but didn't bother attempting it.

Bench (V)
    +1.5 164x5x5
    Bar was flying today like it hasn't in a long time. Did these all on 3m rest. Felt like I may have had 10 reps in me on the first set.

Another strong session...curious if any of this can be attributed to the BCAA's or if it's all because I've been able to sleep like a normal person for the last few nights.

Squat (H)
    +5 250x5, 235x2x5 Squat 250x5 - YouTube
    Ties my 5rm. PRs coming soon folks. Only had this planned for a triple but I knew after the first rep I could get it for 5. Hadn't filmed in a while. I notice my left wrist is in more extension than my right, which I fixed for the last 2 sets. Also still going an inch or two deep. Anything else? I moved the bar position today up my back a 1/2 inch because I think having it a little too low previously was contributing to my right shoulder pain. I could feel it a little today, but not too bad at all. Between the better bad position, narrower bench grip, and rolling it a few more times I should be in the clear.

Deadlift
    +5 285x2x3
    Planned triples. Not easy, but not hard. I think backing down on these and the SGDL has helped get me out of the recovery hole. No backoff sets til after bball.

Chins
    3x7
    21st was a borderline lockout but I'm counting it.

Those squats looked fantastic. Checked off every box. What is most commendable is that the last one, while much slower of course, followed the exact same path as the first. Nice work!

I say sleep is king, fwiw. But I've never taken bcaa's and lots of people here swear by them.

^x2 on that squat comment. Spot on brother. I would also agree to the sleep comment, all though i do like bcaa's and believe they help, i 110% believe that by you actually sleeping more than 4hours you could crush it lol

Thanks gentlemen...if I can maintain that technique with 315 I think it would mean a little more. BW seems to be up around 200-201 after the holiday weekend (went away for a day and a half and ate out a bunch). Slept 4.5 hours last night and didn't feel as strong today, go figure . No breakfast, 5g BCAA upon waking up, whey shake with milk prior to lifting, and 10g BCAA post workout.

Bench (I)
    +1 180x5
    Reps were going up pretty solid but 5th turned into about a 4s+ grind, although technique held.

Press (V)
    +1 100x5x5
    Transitioned to 5s so it wasn't bad. Was going on 3m rest but 4m for the last set as 20th and 25th rep required some effort.

Chins
    3x7
    21st borderline lockout again. Idk why I often hate gripping the bar for a set of chins more than any other lift...maybe because they're always at the end of the workout I suppose.

Pretty big game tonight against a team who killed it last week and stayed to watch our game and talk smack...hope to report back with a W and hope to not stink up the joint myself. Haven't touched a ball since last week so I'm going to try to get there early and get shots up.

L 58-67. I guarded their big shooter and we went up 6-0 early when I took my early break. Said big guy proceeded to drop 3 straight wide open 3's. Our guys decided to try to play hero iso ball the entire game, not communicate on D to figure out pick and pop defense, switches, etc. We gave up more wide open 3's than I can count. We were down 12+ most of the game, it wasn't even as close as the final score indicates. We made a push early in the 2nd half where we got it to 8 or 10 but lost momentum, then another push with about 5m to go where we cut it to 10, but gave up 2 three's right after that which caused some of our guys to give up.

I played okay, dropped maybe 15-17 or so. Overall, I can't even really call us a team. It's nearly impossible to get your game established when there's little to no ball movement or teamwork happening. It's really disappointing that myself and the other returning guy were grilling potential teammates really hard about the way they play etc to make sure this exact situation didn't occur (streetballers without a real understanding of the game). It's a shame we had 2 guys drop so close to the league which causes us to have to pick some guys up quickly on short notice. The 2 that dropped (1 one week prior to league and 1 two days prior) +me and the returning guy would have been a really good team, but as it stands, it's me, the other guy, and 3 individuals. I'll keep trying to grill them about our style of play but I don't have much hope at this point.

On a positive note, my conditioning came back fast, I felt like I could have played an hour straight, plus I was the only one moving without the ball, setting screens, etc.
    Last edited by Agilic; 03-31-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Lifted this AM, just getting around to logging now.

Squat (M)
    +1 217.5x3x5
    These squats the morning after bball are a son of a bitch. Probably gonna go to 2.5lb jumps but down to 3 triples, in order to try to keep the intensity up a little without burning out while my heavy day squat continues to progress (hopefully).

SGDL
    +2.5 135, 185, 195x5
    Nice and easy, trying to pull them somewhat fast.

1.5 hours of mostly half court pickup with 2 full court games. Getting my conditioning back quickly and my basketball game back, but not quite as quickly. After talking to some of the guys, I think we may try to roll with me running point and turning the 2 athletic street ballers into finishers and the other 2 guys into spot up shooters. I am very comfortable with and enjoy distributing, and can also create my own shot. Hopefully this will let us develop into some resemblance of a team, but I have my doubts. Being that the other 4 guys had all been playing basketball regularly and I hadn't played in 10 months, I figured I would start the season as a complimentary piece and work back into it, but it looks like I will have to force myself into a much bigger workload rather quickly.

Sleep's been meh. Feeling extra beat up from that second night of bball. Still slowly scaling down carbs and cals. All not good stuff for recovery. I have to keep telling myself to just take what I can get right now, and get strong when the situation is right for it (wife's school year ends June 17 so sleep should be much better after that). Right shoulder was feeling fine during presses, and only hurt a little doing bench. Need to do a better job of finding the time to roll it til it's all better. Also have not mentioned yet that my left knee has been getting achy after bball slightly above the knee on the top left part. Usually goes away after a few days, have never had any knee pain before.

Press (I)
    +1.5 111.5x3
    Lost 2 reps from 110lb. Barely got the triple. Decided against a second triple due to likely being under recovered.

Bench (V)
    +1 165x5x5
    Much tougher than 164, although the first set was the toughest then it got a little better once I remember to drive my legs and squeeze the bar 100%.

starting strength coach development program
    AM bw = 198.4. Trained around 11am...slept almost 8 hours...very low carb Friday and most of Saturday until I carbloaded Sat night and this morning in anticipation of heavy squats and deads today. Went into session feeling pretty darn beat up and under recovered, definitely think the 2nd night of bball on Thursday was a factor.

Squat (L)
    225x3x3
    Right shoulder achy, adductor a little sore, just overall hurting and a little weak. The whole way through warmups was thinking I needed a light day, but I really wanted to push through and just program a light day for next Sunday instead. Based on how 2nd warm-up rep at 225 felt, I realized I might not even have a single in me today at planned wt of 255, so I just busted out a tough 3rd rep and kept it there for 2 more sets to in effect make it a L/M but more lightish day. If I'm going to keep not eating and cutting bw, I really may need to rotate every other Sunday as H/L to make it thru bball season.

Deadlift
    +5 290x3
    Really should have kept this light as I had planned based on squats, but I stubbornly/stupidly thought that since I didn't squat heavy I'd be fine for pulling an already sub maximal weight. Boy was I wrong, this felt like an all out 3rm, may have even had a little lumbar rounding on 3rd rep not sure. Cut it there obviously. This is really killing me not aggressively trying to push my weights up but I'm constantly reminding myself of the long term.

Chins
    5x5
    Allowed for a little more total volume than 3x7.

Page 8 of 166 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast