Page 9 of 166 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    AM BW = 197.0

Bench
    Warmups to 135
    Nope. Fuck you too right shoulder. Rolled it extremely aggressively last night for a good 20m and may have gone overboard, making it sore. Feel like I'm getting down into the deep stuff, found some spots that were causing some radiating pain. Hopefully can knock the stuff out with a few more good sessions on it.

Press (I + V)
    I - 112.5x3
    Hard but not all out. If I'm exclusively pressing, should I be doing normal insensity volume of 2x3? Not quite sure how to program this until I can start benching again. Just LP intensity and volume press 2x per week? Vary rep ranges for both?
    V - 101.5x5x5
    You know, not easy, but not that hard. Ok fine, I admit it, this was easy.

Chins
    3x7
    Almost went for an 8th rep on 3rd set but then I didn't.

Thanks for your kind words on my log! It's been fun having someone to jive with.

Good luck with the shoulder. As long as you feel you're recovering in time (a big caveat) I think it is generally hard to overtrain the press since it is the lightest of the "big 4". You might wind up switching some days around though, like not doing volume right after intensity. Some other kind of rep scheme, like you mention, as backoffs after intensity could maybe be good. I'd say a good candidate for an Andy question also.

Game tonight????

Yeah I guess I'll kind of wing it and see what happens. Hopefully it's only a week or 2 til it feels okay to bench but I wanna be prepared to make some legit progress on my press incase it's a month or 2.

We lost last night 39-50, now 1-2 on the year. Should have been a 20 pt loss, but our 2 streetballers wanted to turn it into a dunk contest in garbage time. We are hot garbage, and have more drama than the Cavs and Lakers combined. The usual guy and I will never play with any of these 3 again. Literally no concept of team basketball or what is happening on the court around them. Most concerned with smack talking the guy their matched up and showing him up. Myself and the other guy for 4 straight weeks have pushed team, team, team and what we all need to do and never singled anyone out but it ended up getting a little personal last night because the 2 streetballers think everyone else is the problem since we can't blow past our guy and dunk the ball and do fancy things, even though we consistently are doing the right things like running the court on offense and defense, moving without the ball to get open, setting screens to free guys up, knocking down open shots, driving and kicking etc. Evidently fundamental basketball is boring or a foreign concept to that generation.

The game was neck and neck for the first half of the first half, but the streetballers pick and choose when to play hard, and many times don't even attempt to get back on defense which causes mismatches and #'s in their favor. I played okay, probably dropped 12-15. Scored the first points of the game by knocking down my first 3 attempt (also was hardly missing in warmups), yet I didn't take another shot for another 5 minutes after that. I make it a point to NOT try to do all the scoring so that everyone can stay involved, we can figure out how to play with each other, everyone stays involved and happy etc. Whenever I make a pass to anyone not my usual guy, it's like an instant invitation to find a way to get a shot up asap.

The 2 teams we just lost to were probably the toughest competition, we should win or at least be competitive going forward, but it's not fun playing with guys who don't really know how to play the game. They claim they have played organized ball since 5 years old, and when I told them that if they would play actual basketball and allow me to get my game established, I would be setting everyone up for easy looks all game long. It was that point our super fast guy who's been trying to play "point guard" offered to sit out next week so we can show him how we're supposed to play.

Sorry, didn't mean to type out that much of our drama, venting last night and here hasn't helped at all. This is very frustrating. Both these teams are teams we easily knocked out of the playoffs last year en route to championship.

AM BW = 196.4

Had to bust this out quick in about 30m including warmups. I may just try do this workout as fast as possible going forward for some cardilol since it's pretty light.

Squat (L)
    +2.5 220x3x3
    Again feels more medium than light but definitely not hard, which is what I want to avoid for this session. Goal is to recover and have a good squat on Sunday.

SGDL
    +2.5
    135, 185, 197.5x5
    Felt more conditioning than strength.

A lot of pressing...

Press (I)
    +1.5 114x2, x3
    Not sure how, but kinda messed up the very first rep and it was grindy. Second rep was faster, but third got stuck at my forehead. I started to unrack for volume weight but decided I wanted some redemption, so busted out a semi-solid triple with a somewhat grindy 3rd rep.

Press (V)
    +1 102.5x5x5
    Some sets were easy (2nd, 3rd), some sets (1st, 4th, 5th) had some tough 5th reps. 3m rest between first 3 sets and 4m for last 2.

Basketball update:

Team has been disbanded. All 3 21 year old kids are out of the league. The only 2 remaining are the returns from last year (myself and D). We are filling out the team with an internal league transfer (M, who is D's cousin) who was very unhappy with his team because he was the only one who could really score. I've played against M in the past and we had some pretty decent battles. He's fairly athletic, can do a bit of everything (shoot, slash, play d, pass, rebound), and is competitive. About 5'10" iirc, He's got a lot of experience pkaying with D and I think he'll fit in well.

2nd pickup: J, who took over coaching the girls Hs basketball team since my wife gave it up this year to spend time with our son. Have never played with him, but he's about 5'11", skinny, and says he's more defensive than offensive and likes to facilitate more than score. Sounds like a great fit but a wildcard at this point. Only caveat is he can't play this Weds. but can play the final 4 weeks + playoffs.

3rd pickup: G, mostly so we have a body for this Weds. Only about 5'9", but Athletic and strong dude (coached him in my garage once and now he's pulling 380x5 double overhand without much trouble, pressing 150+ For 3x5, can't remember where his squat and bench are at but very respectable especially considering he runs and does P90x every day he doesn't lift "to feel like he's doing something", but not really a basketball player. He can actually rebound and block some shots, and he should be competent enough to not prevent us from being competitive with most of the teams, but he'll mostly be an emergency sub against the better teams.

Really looking forward to playing some real basketball now and seeing if we can gel as a team in time to make some noise in the playoffs. My main concern is rebounding. It's not my strong suit, but I'm going to make it a focus of mine especially because Im now the tallest on the team at 6'0". May try to get my post game established depending how we click together, or may try to create from the perimeter. Most likely a mixture. I'm pretty sure I remember M being a fairly strong rebounder for his size, D will board a little but he's not great at it either. Hoping J can surprise and be a strong rebounder but we're definitely going to have to all gang rebound to prevent it from becoming an Achilles heel.
    Last edited by Agilic; 04-09-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Spent a lot of the day doing yard work, making Home Depot runs with truckloads full of mulch, 40lb bags of rocks, etc. then hauling them around and spreading them. Also got some shots up while we were at the park, enough to work up a decent sweat. Therefore, by the time I was able to get around to lifting around 5:30 I was pretty tired (havent lifted nearly this late in months).

Squat (H)
    +5 255x1, xF. 240x2. 225x3x3
    Warmups felt great through 185 then 225x2 felt a little heavy. Didn't want to pass up heavy squats 2 weeks in a row so was still going for my planned triple at 255. First rep felt heavy but not near an all out grinder, then I put one on the spotter arms for the first time ever in my garage, wasn't even close to standing up with it, maybe got 2-3 inches out of the hole. Stayed tight, just didn't have the strength to squat it. Wanted a triple at 240 but the 2nd was very grindy. Triples at 225 were hard but solid, 6th rep @225 was a grind but I finally took an appropriate rest before the last set and it wasn't bad at all.

Deadlift
    275x2x3
    All double overhand and solid. Left plenty in the tank, figured I'd done enough work for the day to try to recover from for basketball on Wednesday. This is the week we have to roll with no sub and all play 30m, after that we should have one sub the rest of the way.

No time or energy for chins, will try my best to remember to do them tomorrow.

AM BW was 197.0 after a carb load Sat. night (nothing major, 2 potatoes). Ate a pretty decent amount today, planning on low carb tomorrow and Tuesday.

Chins
    4x5, 1x6

AM BW = 195.8

Press (I)
    +1 115x2x3
    3rd rep was grindy, 2nd set was SOLID, had another rep, maybe even 2 in the tank.

Press (V)
    +1.5 104x5x5
    Tough, with mostly grindy 5th reps. Rest 4-5m between sets. Couldn't seem to quite dial in form and timing like I did on the intensity sets..

Chins
    3x7

Game tonight 8pm. Really need to kill our two game losing streak. Tonight we play we with no sub and our 4th guy isn't a ball player. We've instructed him all week to just stay with his guy and not give up any easy buckets, try to go after every rebound on offense and defense, and if he blocks a shot or two helping out its a bonus. It will be fun to run without punks who really have no idea what they're doing trying to take over the team.

starting strength coach development program
    I didn't catch the whole team reboot post until Monday night. That's awesome! I was listening to a guy talk about the Spurs success and he was giving great examples of how they just play a proper team game despite being less quick and flashy as younger teams. Reminded me of your experience this year. Have fun tonight!

Page 9 of 166 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast