starting strength gym
Page 15 of 167 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yeah I was kind of thinking that I remember reading once you hit 7 20:140s there's no need to go higher but I'm gonna have to research more because I could be remembering wrong. Pretty happy with how quickly my conditioning came along. I need to go get a pickup game of ball and see how my wind is now just out of curiosity.

191.8 bw - Memorial Weekend bulk

Tuesday is supposed to be my only off day, but:

Squat (rehab)
    175x3x5 (beltless)
    Warmups and first workset at about 75% out to normal stance. Last 2 sets 100% normal squat stance with 0 groin pain. Thanks Coach Rip. Great trick to have in the bag should my ab/adductors give me any troubles in the future. I was tempted to bump up the weight but I wanted to get out to my normal stance first so Thursday I'll do 180. No need to go up any faster and aggravate anything. Decided on a whim to go beltless just to make sure I still knew how since its been so long. The squats weren't difficult, maybe the 5th reps slowed down a little. When this is 275x3x5 in a couple months, I'll be a pretty happy man.

Press (V)
    +1.5 104x5x5
    Felt strong. A couple grinders near the end. I think the lack of any heavy squatting over the last 3 weeks or so has allowed my press and deadlift to surprise a little bit.

Bench
    +5 140x3x5
    Felt like a warm-up...gonna slowly and surely get my bench strength back 5 lb at a time. I don't want to go any faster because I want plenty of running room when I start LP, and I want to be nice and fresh. From where my bench and squat are at, I should be able to dissipitate any fatigue prior to LP start, and I may even elect not to pull or press heavy the sessions beforehand as well.

Chins
    3x7
    Thought I might finally break through and get 8 due to easy benching. Oh well.

189.4 - weird...ate a bunch last night

Squat
    +5 180x3x5
    Beltless. Felt like a warmup...easier than 175. 5 at a time and I hope to PR this at some point in July.

SGDL
    +2.5 135, 185, 217.5x5
    Easy other than grip starting to give out. Won't be doing these again for a while after next week (probably not til HLM after LP).

Airdyne
    6 X 20:140
    Strong early on but really died off on the last couple especially the 6th. Got really freaking lightheaded plus my son woke up from his nap early so I didn't hang in for a 7th. Probably didn't have one in me anyway. Did this in the afternoon instead of morning, and walked a decently paced mile shortly beforehand, so maybe that was a factor.

Press (I)
    +1 115x2x2, x4
    Off work this weekend, so I've slept 8 hours 3 straight nights. Doubles were easy, so I decided to rep out 3rd set...felt like I might have 5 but I kind of misgrooved/mistimed the 4th and barely got it up.

Bench
    +5 145x3x5
    Not challenging, obviously.

Chins
    7x5
    Felt strong...getting stuff done around the house/garage led to some longer rests so these were pretty easy.

Squat
    +5 185x3x5
    Beltless and easy (for squats). Right groin hurt a little right at start of ascent through warmups until at 165 I went slightly narrower and turned toes in a little and it felt fine for that and worksets. That may just be my new squat stance which I think is fine.

Deadlift
    +5 315x3, 255x5. Deadlift 315x3 - YouTube
    315 beltless because I forgot. 255 belted and DOH. This was supposed to be my singles rotation but since I've slept 4 nights in a row, been feeling strong, not squatting heavy, and not pulling heavy next Sunday (fresh for LP), I decided to go all out. Definitely felt like a 3rm but bar speed not bad per video. I was pretty lightheaded and wobbly afterward as you will see.

Do you feel any particular squishiness beneath your feet, on that mat? I started with just a 1/2" horse stall mat, in a garage. Then I put a 4' X 4' piece of 1/2" plywood on top of a 3/4" sheet of 4'x8' plywood, with mat at the ends, where the plates sit.

Plywood feels more solid beneath the feet. It's not a proper platform I have, but it lets me set the bar down faster, which conserves energy for the concentric.

Not whatsoever. The horse stall mat feels as solid as concrete to me. When my son isn't napping (his room is one room over from right above the garage), my descent is much quicker

192.0 - been trying to stay around maintenance over the last couple weeks so my body is ready for gainzz next week...I'm willing to put on up to 30 lbs during this LP run if I keep getting stronger

Airdyne
    7 X 20:140
    Much better than Friday...I find it very difficult to maintain intensity for last 5 seconds of 5th and 6th sprints and last 10 seconds of 7th sprint, but I still managed to keep RPMs from suffering much. It probably feels like I'm losing more steam than I am due to intense thigh fatigues. Man, my quads and gluten fucking hurt after these, even after a 5m cool down, more than they have ever from squats/deads.

starting strength coach development program

Squat
    +5 190x3x5
    Beltless and easy. Technically 193lb on the bar so back above bw pain free. By squatting on Tuesdays, I haven't had an actual rest day in a few weeks, but I figure at these weights the extra volume is good for the groin.