starting strength gym
Page 20 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Horrible session. Sleeps been pretty good and so has food, only thing I can think of is helping to unload a large load lumber on Weds. Night, but the wood wasn't all that heavy and I didn't think it'd effect my recovery.

194.6 yesterday and 193.6 today...lol at lb a day loss since Weds.

Squat
    255x3x3
    3rd so grindy there was no point in trying a 4th...same for subsequent sets. Really sucks to stall here, hard to believe those 2 brutal days last week would send the whole lift to shit...in retrospect maybe I should have taken a. Light day last weds after golfing all day in the heat instead of grinding like a mofo two sessions in a row (Friday's 250 was after walking around the water park all day in same heat wave). I really don't want to do this, but I feel like the best plan of action is a small reset to like 235 and then come back up 10 lb/wk.

Bench
    +2.5 180x3x3, 165x6
    Plus a couple lbs = lose 2 reps per set apparently. Threw in backoff set to make up volume, and going to repeat on Weds. Hoping that this was just an off day overall.

Deadlift
    +5 320x4
    5th didn't budge off the ground at all. Actually surprised I was able to pull 4 here given the rest of the workout.

193.0 - Would swear I'm slamming plenty of food, but trends are saying differently recently so will up the carbs even more. Eating a very large bowl of cereal with my protein shake while I'm typing this.

Airdyne
    7 x 20:120
    Didn't have time yesterday but got them in today in the afternoon in my 100+ degree garage. Death. Hope it doesn't effect my lifts tomorrow of 235 squat (Small reset to attempt to get momentum going again after 2 fails at 255), 115 press, and chins.

Squat
    255x2, 235x3x5
    Beyond the point of being beyond the point of frustration with this lift. Since my first attempt at SS 8 years ago, I have stalled in the low to mid 2's probably 25+ times. I honestly feel like I may have had to work harder than any other healthy male alive just to reach a 2 plate squat. Today, I was stubborn and after final warmup at 225x1 felt like air, I decided I had technically only failed 255 twice so I was going to make it today no matter what. Yeah, not so much. 3rd rep probably 4 inches out of the hole and then straight to the pins. Went from 5 reps to 3 reps to 2 reps for my attempts at 255. Debating between running this reset to 235 back up with a light middle day or just switching to a HLM setup next week. I'll see how Weds and Fri go I guess.

Press
    +2.5 115x3x5
    Solid, 15th rep pretty grindy though. Happy to have reached this point still doing 2.5 lb jumps.

Chins
    +.5 3x5 w/ +17 lbs
    Felt strong on these today.

I think we both are not made for squats. In other news, we're about even with our upper body presses these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post

Squat
    255x2, 235x3x5
    Beyond the point of being beyond the point of frustration with this lift. Since my first attempt at SS 8 years ago, I have stalled in the low to mid 2's probably 25+ times. I honestly feel like I may have had to work harder than any other healthy male alive just to reach a 2 plate squat. Today, I was stubborn and after final warmup at 225x1 felt like air, I decided I had technically only failed 255 twice so I was going to make it today no matter what. Yeah, not so much. 3rd rep probably 4 inches out of the hole and then straight to the pins. Went from 5 reps to 3 reps to 2 reps for my attempts at 255. Debating between running this reset to 235 back up with a light middle day or just switching to a HLM setup next week. I'll see how Weds and Fri go I guess.

Press
    +2.5 115x3x5
    Solid, 15th rep pretty grindy though. Happy to have reached this point still doing 2.5 lb jumps.

Chins
    +.5 3x5 w/ +17 lbs
    Felt strong on these today.
    Hey Agilic. Just looking at your training log. Wondering if you've tried putting in some light recovery sessions (60-80% of heavy squat target weight) in between your heavy squat training sessions or on your mid-week squat session. My SSC advised me to do this when I mentioned that I hit a point where my squat weight seemed too heavy to make any more progress. Since then, I've alternated recover/heavy squat days and never looked back. Since then, I've added 35 lbs to my squat. And I look forward to my light "recovery" day a bit more as well. It gives a mental and physical break. It's also part of the advance novice program outlined in Practical Programming along with back-off sets, etc. Maybe you've looked into this and done it already. If so, please disregard this comment as the ruminations of a busy-body!

Was talking to my wife's cousin about her 5k programming, then hopped on the airdyne to start warming up for my sprint intervals, said fuck if after a minute and decided today was the day to test my 5k. Midday heat of nearly 100 degrees...why not?

Jogging
    2.14 miles in 20:28
    Mapped out a nice 5k route with every intention of completing it. Oh well. I really don't feel like the heat effected me much, and my legs didn't get the slightest bit fatigued, just couldn't get my heart and breathing under control. Considering I haven't jogged in about 6 years or so, I suppose I'll take it. I thought I'd complete the run no problem, and felt like I went out with a sustainable pace, but it wasn't meant to be. I feel like this would be a very quick adaptation, and I could go out in the morning or evening and PR a 5k (ran CC 2 years in high school) easily with under a month of training. Not going to do it anytime soon , but maybe 1 day in the future when my strength numbers are like 20% greater I will try for a month or 2 in the fall/spring to get a sub 20m 5k. Iirc my best in HS was in the 22's, but I obviously never trained properly and was not remotely a talented runner.

Edit: tomorrow is a scheduled light squat day, so that's why I felt like today was a good day to jog
    Last edited by Agilic; 07-19-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Squat (L)
    190x2x5
    Felt like empty bar squats.

Bench
    180x3x5, 162.5x8
    Got it on the second try. Every set was the same, first 3 reps flew, 4th was hard, and 5th was extremely grindy. Maybe backoff set helped, maybe just better recovered (even though I had my worst night of sleep in a while last night). I'm already into 3x5 PR territory, and my 5rm is 185.

Chins
    +.5 2x5, x3 w/ +17.5 lbs, then bwx2
    Not sure what happened on the third set. Was exhausted from grinding all 4 sets of bench and just ran out of gas. Immediately removed weighted belt and did last 2 reps bodyweight. Will probably switch from 2x/wk weighted to Monday weighted and weds unweighted starting next week.

195.6, sleep very meh last 2 nights which are supposed to be my good nights of sleep

Squat
    +5 240x3x5
    No grinding! Now I need to not walk around all day during this heatwave prior to 245 and 250 and see if I can get through them without grinding like an asshole.

Press
    +2.5 117.5x4, 116.5x2x4, 105x6
    Not a strong pressing day. Weights felt heavier than normal right from the beginning. Gave it my all, just couldn't move 5th reps more than a couple inches. Going to retry at 116.5 and load in smaller than 2.5 lb increments + a backoff set.

Deadlift
    320x5
    Second times the charm! New 5rm. 5th rep was pure willpower, really didn't think I had a chance at making it. I think the plan now is to move to triples, and then singles, run it as high as I can before eventually moving to a rep rotation of 5s, 3s, and 1s. Do y'all normally just pull a triple or single and call it a day, or do a backoff set of 5 in the 80% range?

Loving that deadlift number. I'd like to get my 5k time looking good this year too. Last time I was regularly running was in the Marines and my best time was 20min. I was way lighter and not doing strength training. But running improves quickly.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Tom. Still probably one of the weakest males in the Int forum so a lot of work to do yet. Really curious where I can run my single up to though before moving to rotating reps. Last time I made 345 for 5 singles but that was when I was hardly sleeping and really effed up the programming.

I'm thinking of the 5k as a random future goal, when I'm much stronger. Not concerned about it at all at present time, plus all of this Hiit is probably laying a pretty solid foundation for future liss gains.

Airdyne
    7 x 20:120
    Definitely adapting to the shorter rest periods, although this wasn't quit as strong as normal, probably because of Tuesday's jog effing with me. Although DOMS, especially the calves, have finally subsided today. So damn hot outside I actually did this with the garage doors closed for the first time. It's also motivation to keep a decent pace during rest periods, to keep the fan on the Airdyne blowing. Alls I'm thinking about is destroying 245 on Monday.
    Last edited by Agilic; 07-23-2016 at 10:06 AM.