starting strength gym
Page 23 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still trying to lift more at the shore

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    201.0 - sleep has not been very good all week, son all of a sudden decided 5:30am is a good wake up time

Squat
    +5 265x4, xF. 245x2x5
    5th barely made it out of the hole. Backoffs were smooth. Didn't get to lift today until 5pm, and spending a couple hours in the pool in the sun probably didn't help anything. Another brutally hot and humid day - garage was a freaking sauna. I want to take advantage of the last couple weeks I have of no 4 hour sleep nights and keep 10 lbs/wk going so I'm going to keep going up and shooting for a 3rm + 2x5 back-off. When that runs out I'm going to test my 1rm and then switch to 1 heavy squat per week.

Press
    +1 120x3x3, 105x7
    Solid, bar flew. Definitely could be getting away with some 2.5 lb jumps on triples but I'm taking it slow and steady and not risking halting the momentum.

Deadlift
    +5 335x3, 305x3 Deadlift 335x3 - YouTube
    9 days rest and definitely easier than 330 was on 5 days rest. Sorry about the shirtless vid - garage was just brutal making this a tough session to get through. Chugged a Gatorade toward the end of presses.

Just watched your DL and realized we have the same iron plates. My garage has been nasty too. I wear one shirt for squats, another for press/BP and usually shirtless for DL. Plus a headband I have to ring out a couple times. At least my bar is never frozen in winter.

Was home in CT this week and worked out in my parents garage...fuck that heat. you could add 10 lbs to all your lifts overnight if you joined us softies in climate controlled facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jugrock View Post
    Just watched your DL and realized we have the same iron plates. My garage has been nasty too. I wear one shirt for squats, another for press/BP and usually shirtless for DL. Plus a headband I have to ring out a couple times. At least my bar is never frozen in winter.
    Yeah, I anticipated my first winter lifting in the garage being pretty miserable and did all my research on space heaters. Never even had to buy one, and as long as I had on appropriate clothing (pants, usually thermal long sleeve shirt with cotton hoodie over it, and a hat), I never even remembered the garage was cold except when I first stepped in there and touched the bar for the first time. Give me the winter cold over the summer heat any day, for lifting anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineTom View Post
    Was home in CT this week and worked out in my parents garage...fuck that heat. you could add 10 lbs to all your lifts overnight if you joined us softies in climate controlled facilities.
    This is possible, but for sure it makes the sessions a little longer and a lot less pleasant.

Squat
    +5 270x3, 250x2x5
    Planned triple. Real heavy and was barely able to hold form together. 2.5 plates next! Backoffs were hard and may hold it there next session.

Bench
    +2.5 192.5x3x3, 165x9
    1st and 3rd sets were grindy, 2nd set was easy. Finally was able to add a rep to backoff set (did first 6 reps on 3 reps per breath).

Chins
    +1 1x5 w/ +20 lbs, 2x5 w/ +18.25 lbs

Impressive training record. Keep it up!

Not sure I agree but thank you! I'm certainly working at it.

Yesterday, 8/16:

Airdyne
    7 x 20:120
    Hot garage turned my t shirt from light gray to dark.

Squat (L)
    215x2x5

Press
    +1.5 121.5x3x3, 135x2x1 Press 135 - YouTube
    3rd triple was so easy that I said fuck it to backoff and decided to go for a big boy plate. Video is of first single, surprisingly easy. 2nd single was a major grind. Actual weight on the bar was 137.2. I told myself if I didn't get it I would use my lighter 45's for 135 even. Really happy with this!!

Chins
    4x7 @ bw

starting strength coach development program
    Fuck back offs, indeed.